Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Difference in lump

Options
Went to Sam's club to replenish my lump. Been getting Best of the west mesquite but now they only have Vision mesquite lump. Both are 20 lb bags and price seems to b e the same, $11.50. 
Anybody used the Vision brand lump?
Eggo in N. MS

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mesquite is cheap and the bad smoke can smell like burning coal.  I'm not a lump prima donna, and I've used mesquite lump before with good results, but in general, I'd have to be pretty desperate to buy any brand of it.  For grilling or pizza, it's fine.  But a low and slow, it's not the most neutral.
    Options
    Go to Home Depot and get the bags of Royal Oak for $13
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Rockwood is 21.95 for a fully usable 20lbs.  Royal oak is about $14.30 (inc tax) for a 17lb bag that is about half usable.  My last 10 bags or so could best be described as pebbles - not lump.

I'll respectfully disagree with Lit - I'll never buy Royal Oak again unless I'm in dire straights.

Many speak highly of Carbon Del Sol (spelling?) from RD, but they stopped carrying it in PHX before I had a chance to try it out.

Phoenix 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    blasting said:

Rockwood is 21.95 for a fully usable 20lbs.  Royal oak is about $14.30 (inc tax) for a 17lb bag that is about half usable.  My last 10 bags or so could best be described as pebbles - not lump.

I'll respectfully disagree with Lit - I'll never buy Royal Oak again unless I'm in dire straights.

Many speak highly of Carbon Del Sol (spelling?) from RD, but they stopped carrying it in PHX before I had a chance to try it out.

The RO I have been getting lately has been really good. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've heard good things about vision reg lump. No comments on the the mesquite 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Lit said:
    blasting said:

The RO I have been getting lately has been really good. 
    If you're getting decent bags that would make the choice tougher.  At my HD it has been getting progressively worse.  Somehow I can get Rockwood from across the country no problem.  Maybe Phx HD needs some lessons on handling.
    Phoenix 
  • dihtn
    dihtn Posts: 234
    Options
    We mainly use RO because it is readily available in my area (Fort Wayne, IN area). Works good for us. stlcharcoal let me know Rockwood was available at a store in the Indianapolis area and we picked up a bag this fall.  Extremely impressed with Rockwood.  Was burning clean and up to temp in about 1/2 the time of the RO and the flavor was great.  Still have a 1/2 bag I am saving for steaks!
  • Wolfie51sb
    Options
    The folks who stock the shelves at my HD must use TLC. Every RO bag I've bought there has been A-OK.

Rob

Columbus, Ohio

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Whatever brand you decide to buy, turn the bag upside down before you buy it. If it sounds like one of those cactus rain sticks, put it back. 
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Whatever brand you decide to buy, turn the bag upside down before you buy it. If it sounds like one of those cactus rain sticks, put it back. 
    This is good advice. Since I started doing this my bags are more consistent. Also, I used to avoid bags with holes - but it's counter intuitive. The holes are made from large pieces of lump that puncture the bag - just what you want. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Rockwood is $25 per bag in my area. Royal Oak is $13 a bag. Guess which one I'm buying.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    my HD puts the entire pallet under the bin shelf, so nothing gets jostled around and it is always very good and consistent
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • kingsmoke
    Options
    i bought Rockwood online from Firecraft. $20 / bag . free delivery if you spend $100 . very happy with the quality
    Grand Rapids , Mi
    LBGE -  28Blackstone - Saber grill
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    When I used to get RO from restaurant depot if it was the bottom of the pallet I would put all the bags left on my cart then ask for a new pallet and take all the ones from the top of the new pallet and put the ones from the bottom back. You can tell the difference between the bags at the top and the bags at the bottom and these were still stacked on the pallet to no rough handling. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The bags on the top of the pallet helps, but only if you know where that pallet has been all it's life.  I've been in a lot of charcoal plants, warehouses, and large retailers where pallets are stacked FOUR high.  That's at least 2600# on the bottom row of bags on the bottom pallet; or at least 2000# on the top row of the bottom pallet.

Since every pallet is built differently, you can't really do a PSI calculation, but the top and bottom rows are going to have a higher PSI on them because of the pallet boards (they don't cover 100% of the surface area.)  The second through fifth row from the top will have a lower PSI since it will nest with those bags from the top and bottom rows spread the weight out over a larger surface area.

But with all of the upstacking and downstacking between the plant and the final destination, there's no telling where in the stack that pallet ended up.

FYI: Our pallets are never stacked more than 2 high (48" tall pallets).  If we could only single stack them I would go for it......but no wants to pay for that.  Add $2-3/bag in shipping costs right off bat.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    The bags on the top of the pallet helps, but only if you know where that pallet has been all it's life.  I've been in a lot of charcoal plants, warehouses, and large retailers where pallets are stacked FOUR high.  That's at least 2600# on the bottom row of bags on the bottom pallet; or at least 2000# on the top row of the bottom pallet.

Since every pallet is built differently, you can't really do a PSI calculation, but the top and bottom rows are going to have a higher PSI on them because of the pallet boards (they don't cover 100% of the surface area.)  The second through fifth row from the top will have a lower PSI since it will nest with those bags from the top and bottom rows spread the weight out over a larger surface area.

But with all of the upstacking and downstacking between the plant and the final destination, there's no telling where in the stack that pallet ended up.

FYI: Our pallets are never stacked more than 2 high (48" tall pallets).  If we could only single stack them I would go for it......but no wants to pay for that.  Add $2-3/bag in shipping costs right off bat.

great insight and things for all of us to be aware of that goes on in the storing or shipping of the product. 

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Options
    eggo said:
    Went to Sam's club to replenish my lump. Been getting Best of the west mesquite but now they only have Vision mesquite lump. Both are 20 lb bags and price seems to b e the same, $11.50. 
    Anybody used the Vision brand lump?
    If you read the bottom or back of the vision, it's made by best of the west, I think it's the same stuff, same thing happened at my SAMs, it's been vision for about a year now. I bought a bag but haven't opened it yet.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Stay away from the vision IMO.  I bought two bags a few months back, never opened the second one.  

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187573/i-hope-you-like-your-pizza-smokey
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    Options
    Been using RO from walmart and agree, only half the bag was usable. I have been satisfied with best of the west, If vision is, in fact, the same as best of the west, I will be happy. I very seldom do long cooks so the mesquite has been good for me.
    Eggo in N. MS