Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knife/Shears Suggestions

Options
I did my first Turkey last week; butterflied it. I learned that I need a better tool to cut the backbone. ALSO I need a good knife for carving and deboning. I know you all have some great ideas, so let's hear them. Greatly appreciated.

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    im just a fan of a big knife for spatchcock, stand bird up,knife vertical down the center and one cut thru like a huge papercutter. it doesnt need to be an expensive knife, just sharp and big, my old lampson chef is a 13 inch blade
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Kitchen shears for spatchcock can't be easier. Literally 15 seconds of work to cut out backbone. 

As for knives, I have a global chef knife, global veggie knife (almost like santoku), wustof pairing, and dexter filet. That's all I need to tackle everything. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I have a pair of poultry shears that work great. 
    NOLA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    im just a fan of a big knife for spatchcock, stand bird up,knife vertical down the center and one cut thru like a huge papercutter. it doesnt need to be an expensive knife, just sharp and big, my old lampson chef is a 13 inch blade
    This. Takes me around 5-7 seconds to cut out the back bone with a cheap-o Henckels. Takes more time to just get the shears out.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I got a pair of these for Christmas and used them for the first time tonight. Worked well and easy to clean. 

http://www.messermeister.com/10-Inch-Poultry-Shear/
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    Options
    I have dull kitchen shears from a crappy knife set I bought in college. They work fine for spatchcock chicken, sometimes a struggle around bigger sections but nothing too bad. 

As as far as knives go, I just got married and received about 7 Global knives. All different types and sizes. They work great, a little expensive but worth the investment. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    For the back bone I use a pair of scissor style tin snips. Cost about $10. For boning, I have a couple of old beaters. One is a Dexter-Russel, the other Chicago cutlery I think. Each was $15 - $20. They get honed almost continually, but I don't worry about chipping the blade. They work well enough for slicing the thigh meat, too

For slicing the breast, any long blade, mostly straight will do, assuming its sharp. Are the knives you have now sharp? Perhaps take them to a service and have them done. If the edge won't hold for even a whole turkey breast, then consider buying a decent chef knife, 7" long or more.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    For removing a backbone, my favorite is a serrated bread knife. Easier than my shears and MUCH easier to clean! Keep meaning to try my heavy cleaver, but haven't yet. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I have a pair of kitchenaid shears with plastic handles. They work fine but the pressure roger through bones has cracked the handles. Several companies make nice all metal shears that come apart easily for cleaning and sharpening. This is the pair I want to get but they aren't cheap. http://www.amazon.com/Tojiro-Pro-Separetable-Kitchen-Shears-FK-843/dp/B002YD96VK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1451484303&sr=8-2&keywords=Tojiro+kitchen+shears
  • clintmiller
    Options
    To spatchcock a chicken, I use my Shun shears and they get the bone out easily. For turkey, I use something a bit more substantial. They're a bit overkill :-) but they do the job nicely.