Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Electric pressure cooker

2»

Comments

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Looks like they are pretty popular. I received mine a few days ago. I made a batch of potato soup in it. Turned out nice. Thanks for the push to grab one. I think we will enjoy it. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Begger said:
    Has ANYONE tried steaming Tamales in one of these cookers?   My wife and her sisters make UP TO 8 dozen per Christmas and the steaming batch is the longest single process.   
    I haven't tried it myself. However I did a search on YouTube and there is several videos of folks doing them on there. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Furall
    Look what arrived today. Pressure Unit #2.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    @Furall - I have been playing around with a Goulash (in the style of Dixie) in the pressure cooker. If you like that sort of thing, let me know and I will post the recipe. It's fast and pretty darn good if I do say so myself.  

Status- Standing by.

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Oooh, I want the goulash recipe! I have an 8 quart and 6 quart electric, an 8 quart stovetop, and a pressure canner.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    I received my instant pot just three days ago and have been using it daily. Homemade yogurt, poached eggs, chipotlé barbacoa- so consistent and so fast.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Just ordered my Maxi Matic 8 quart. This forum costs me a lot of money!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Furall
    Furall Posts: 124
    Well,@sgh the instapot went tits up after three cooks. It's heading back to Amazon for a refund. Are you satisfied with the elite? May grab a 8 quart this time. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Furall said:
    Well,@sgh the instapot went tits up after three cooks. It's heading back to Amazon for a refund. Are you satisfied with the elite? May grab a 8 quart this time. 
    Walmart sells the Power Cooker XL or whatever at $99 for the 8qt.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SGH said:
    @Furall - I have been playing around with a Goulash (in the style of Dixie) in the pressure cooker. If you like that sort of thing, let me know and I will post the recipe. It's fast and pretty darn good if I do say so myself.  
    I've been debating whether or not I need one.  A good recipe might push me over the edge - post it! 
  • SGH
    Furall said:
    I'm shocked to hear that about the instapot. I know a few people that have them and they love them. You may have just got a bad one. But to the question at  hand, so far I have really been satisfied with the Elite. I have only had it about 3 weeks, but I have used it almost everyday. I also have a Power Pressure Cooker that I have had for a while. It's been a real good one and has stood up well to heavy use. The Elite seems like a real solid unit and it performs very well. However it doesn't have as many functions as some of the other electrics if that's a concern to you. To me, it's not. I pretty much use them as pressure cookers, not slow cookers or yogurt makers. Just thought I would point that out about the Elite. In the short time that I have had the Elite, I have made Lima beans, navy beans, great northern beans, ham hocks, salt pork, goulash, gizzards, dirty/pork & rice, white rice, rib strip meat, beef stew and deep fried rabbit with roux. The Elite produced exceptional results with all of the above. Thus far, I'm very satisfied with it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    SGH said:
    Yes please @SGH
  • SGH
    slovelad said:
    SGH said:
    Yes please @SGH
    I posted it my friend. Search for: Goulash. In the style of Dixie. 

Status- Standing by.

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Begger said:
    Has ANYONE tried steaming Tamales in one of these cookers?   My wife and her sisters make UP TO 8 dozen per Christmas and the steaming batch is the longest single process.   
    I'm a tamale fan. I've seen a post or so on the web asking about pressure cooking tamales. I recall one post indicating that it was successful.

I've never tried the pressure cooker. I would be afraid it would be too harsh on the delicate tamales.

My cook times for tamales are around 50 minutes after steam begins. To me that is not an unacceptable amount of time. I always let the tamales completely cool off overnight in the refrigerator and re-steam them before serving for  15 to 20 minutes. In my experience this yields a tamale with better texture.

I guess time could vary significantly depending on the thickness of the masa and tamale overall size. The tamales I make are 1/8 to 3/16 masa thickness and approximately 1 inch in diameter.

How long are you steaming your tamales?