Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Medium or Large BGE?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been researching and waiting to buy a ceramic cooker for over a year. I had sort of decided on another brand but there is a BGE dealer across the street from me that has a clearance on the eggs they have left. A great deal. My only question is medium or large. It's really my wife and daughter and myself most of the time but we do entertain. Can you do beer can chicken in a medium (enough room under the dome)? a turkey in a medium? looks like 4 - 5 steaks - is that right? Although both are sold at a nice discount there is still about $250 more for the large. Any advice? Also any real problems with the egg it seems very well made and sturdy.
Thanks I hope to get it tomorrow with the right encouragement.[p]

Comments

• EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Options
    mjk,[p]The large would be my choice given the criteria you provided. If you entertain and have a family of 3 you can't go wrong with the large. Plenty of room for a turkey, steaks, several racks of ribs, 2 or 3 vertically cooked chickens, etc... It's just me and my wife that I cook for but I'm glad I have the room and versatility of the large. The medium is fine but I think you'll be happier with the large.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    MJK...what is the clearance price they have on a large?
  • Tom
    Tom Posts: 189
    Options
    mjk,[p]No question... get the large. While I swear by the medium egg, the large is the way to go. One of the issues is the height.. mediun is too short for a smoking a bird over ~15 lbs.

• BrianP
    BrianP Posts: 147
    Options
    mjk,
    Just me and my wife in my family. We have the large and find it is just the right size. You will need it if you entertain a bit. When I bought mine at the mothership, they told me that most people that bought the medium usually bring it back and get the large (you have about 30 days or so to swap it for a bigger model, if I remember correctly).[p]Brian