Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - All meat diet?

Options
slovelad
slovelad Posts: 1,742
anyone ever tried it?

feeling kinda blah after the holidays. And since I love to cook on my egg so much. I'm thinking about cutting out all carbs and eat nothing but meat for a couple weeks.

anyone done this?

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i do it a month or two every year to drop weight. last time after two months of it i found the makings of butter fried bread on the counter and a dirty fry pan on the stove, bread turns into a craving =) and i found i can cook in my sleep
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I don' think I would/could do it. Nothing wrong with cutting carbs, but how about some veggies? Just skip the potatoes and corn. I'd think it would put you in a meat coma and make you very sluggish.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    Options
    here was my post from 2013 on the weight loss forum, read down, it really happens
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1150328/well-i-got-my-toast#latest

fukahwee maine

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    You speaking of Adkins Diet?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I had a friend who was a roofer, among other things. He decided he wanted to loose a bunch of weight. Ate nothing but meat for several weeks, and dropped about 20 pounds. He didn't have much money, and wasn't much of a cook, so he got pretty tired of lunchmeat, but otherwise, he said it worked just fine.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    The proper way is to go 2 to 1 veggie to protien with plenty of fat. No starches (Corn, peas, parsnips, potatoes, pumpkin,squash, zucchini and yams) and No sugars or carbs.  No fruit.

Lots of salads and protiens with no concern for fat. In fact you have to eat fat to energize your body.  The hardest part is kicking the sugar/carb addiction. It made me really weird feeling for the first 2 weeks. Then I started shedding pounds like crazy. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fishlessman
    Options
    You speaking of Adkins Diet?

all meat is different from atkins, atkins is more like south beach but allows more choices of meat, veggies and fruits
    fukahwee maine

• tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    Don't do all meat.  Go for the Primal diet.  Visit Mark's Daily Apple 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • fishlessman
    Options
    if you want a diet to lose fat, maintain muscle, lower blood pressure and cholesterol, this one was the best, almost 20 pounds lost in 4 weeks as well =)

the octoberfest diet, limits your drinking to 6 beers per night (required) and sausages 3 meals per day
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1161011/octoberfest-diet-beer-and-sausages

fukahwee maine

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I had a friend who was a roofer, among other things. He decided he wanted to loose a bunch of weight. Ate nothing but meat for several weeks, and dropped about 20 pounds. He didn't have much money, and wasn't much of a cook, so he got pretty tired of lunchmeat, but otherwise, he said it worked just fine.
    And then gained it all back in how many weeks? =)

Diets don't work long term...gotta be a lifestyle change to be sustainable.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Here's the thing, first if you went to an 'all meat' diet ... your gonna have a heck of a time when you sit on the pot ...

Second, your body NEEDS carbs to sleep ... a few nights of no sleeping will stop that diet right in it's tracks.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    gdenby said:

this is true, you have to be careful reintroducing vegetables and fruits
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    i do it a month or two every year to drop weight. last time after two months of it i found the makings of butter fried bread on the counter and a dirty fry pan on the stove, bread turns into a craving =) and i found i can cook in my sleep

Nightime eating syndrome?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• malligator
    Options
    Never done all meat, but I've done all fat. Lots of meat, nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. I think I lost a pound or so a week.

LBGE in PHX

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    gdenby said:

Actually, he stayed pretty thin. His diet was meat-centric. Meat only, only if he felt he was carrying too many pounds, and that wasn't often.  And most of his gainful employment required hard work.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    Don't do all meat.  Go for the Primal diet.  Visit Mark's Daily Apple 

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/

Marks Daily Apple site also has a page talking about the whole zero carb silliness: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/zero-carb-diet/#axzz3vj1cr9CZ

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I agree that a "meat and veggie" diet will be easier to follow.  You are young so if you stick with meat and veggies only for a few weeks the weight will fall off.  If you can add in some exercise (particularly weight/resistance training) it really helps.  

Disclaimer: I am a disgusting fatbody who should not be giving any fitness advice, but let's just pretend I gave you that advice 10 years ago when I used to follow it myself.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    Options

Nightime eating syndrome?
    pretty sure it was something like that, just happened the one time, freaky
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    I have it bad. Stress related. I'll eat just about anything and not even wake up.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• fishlessman
    Options

I have it bad. Stress related. I'll eat just about anything and not even wake up.

im just glad i didnt burn the house down. sleep walking and cooking is not a great idea =) i was really craving bread for weeks, maybe thats all the stress i could take. it really freaked me out, the butter was out, open bottle of zatar seasoning, it must have been great =)
    fukahwee maine

• Little Steven
    Options
    Crenshaw may jump in with a story here but I really hope he doesn't. I've been but naked and had the hotel room door close behind me and wake me up. Guess I was headed for the cookies in the lobby or something.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    eat as much chicken and fish as you want for dinner before 6PM your body needs time to process it before going to bed 

Green vegetables only, No carbs, tea, coffee or water only and you will drop lbs faster than anything

Salad for lunch

one egg for and as many egg whites as you want for breakfast   
    Hermosa Beach CA