Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's only a matter of time before it comes here

Options

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The limit on cars in the city or the wood pizza ovens in the cars?
    The wood pizza oven in the car would make hot fresh pizza delivery pretty good. But I would hate to be in that car during a car wreck.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I think they should just power through the air pollution.  They have commercial respirators they can wear all day and night.  Yeah, so young children and old people get respiratory failure and stuff.  Get over it you coughing people.  People can be such wusses.  Really who wants to take public transportation or eat pizza cooked in gas or electric ovens?  AM I RIGHT? 
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    The limit on cars in the city or the wood pizza ovens in the cars?
    The wood pizza oven in the car would make hot fresh pizza delivery pretty good. But I would hate to be in that car during a car wreck.
    The pizza oven cars could stop using wood to cook the pizzas and just route the exhaust heat and gas from the car into the oven thus eliminating one source of the air pollution.

I mean car exhaust gas probably just smells like Royal Oak lump anyway so it's no big deal anyway yeah?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited December 2015
    Options
    We've lost 3.4 million jobs since 2009. Who needs air pollution control at this rate? ;)
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Pollution is, like, so bad 'n stuff.  I could so cry right now.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    would rather eat great pizza and drive my car than to have never eaten a great pizza or get blown up in a train station by a terrorist or two =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Take the train a lot?
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So to recap... Excessive personal transportation and WFO bad...public transportation and green produced pizza good. 
    Solution...More Gondola's w/ solar cell operated pizza ovens. That's Amore Beeches!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Take the train a lot?
    it will be happening here soon with the media telling the world our train system is wide open for an attack. Do you like great pizza? =)
    fukahwee maine

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

When I work in Southern California back in the 90's, I was told all the time by the locals:

"The solution to pollution is dilution".

"You put enough good stuff with it becomes a non-issue!"

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Biggreenpharmacist Posts: 4,341
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think they should just power through the air pollution.  They have commercial respirators they can wear all day and night.  Yeah, so young children and old people get respiratory failure and stuff.  Get over it you coughing people.  People can be such wusses.  Really who wants to take public transportation or eat pizza cooked in gas or electric ovens?  AM I RIGHT? 
    You should park
    your porsche and boat as a display of solidarity.  ;)

Little Rock, AR

• fishlessman
    Options
    You should park
    your porsche and boat as a display of solidarity.  ;)
    hit him where it hurts, take away the alcohol =)

http://www.fcrn.org.uk/sites/default/files/ALCOHOL final version TG feb 2007.pdf

fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    Pollution is, like, so bad 'n stuff.  I could so cry right now.
    If you had to experience the air quality that tens of millions of people do almost daily you probably would cry.

For comparison, Salt Lake city which, due to it's particular geography and along with certain weather conditions can trap air pollution in the Salt Lake basin thus causing higher than normal/acceptable numbers, is currently measuring 92 on the EPA AQI. Los Angeles at the moment is only 22.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    Funny they go after those.  If you want to be informed look at the amount of pollutants from a sea going freighter.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    Options
    Funny they go after those.  If you want to be informed look at the amount of pollutants from a sea going freighter.
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the population density of cities with millions of people is at least a little greater than a freighter on the high seas.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Wilber's Barbecue, in Goldsboro NC, uses wood for their Q. As I understand it, the town now has an air quality ordinance prohibiting that. Wilber's is grandfathered, but only until Wilber Shirley dies. At that point, it's gas or electric. That's ridiculous. How bad can the air quality BE in Goldsboro, pop 36,000?! It's 50+ miles to the nearest reasonably large city (Raleigh) and 20 miles to the nearest Interstate!

Not sure how old Wilber is, but based on when he started the business (1962), he has to be over 70.   

Wilber at Wilber's...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Thats pretty sad. That business should be grandfathered in, not just Wilber. 

Little Rock, AR

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    FREE WILBER! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    Options
    he should go see the cities historical society, its harder to enforce those laws if its registered, actually invite them down for some free grub and meet with them
    fukahwee maine

• HeavyG
    Options
    Wilber's Barbecue, in Goldsboro NC, uses wood for their Q. As I understand it, the town now has an air quality ordinance prohibiting that. Wilber's is grandfathered, but only until Wilber Shirley dies. At that point, it's gas or electric. That's ridiculous. How bad can the air quality BE in Goldsboro, pop 36,000?! It's 50+ miles to the nearest reasonably large city (Raleigh) and 20 miles to the nearest Interstate!

Not sure how old Wilber is, but based on when he started the business (1962), he has to be over 70.   

Wilber at Wilber's...

Might be due more to a nuisance issue more so than an area wide pollution concern.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    We've lost 3.4 million jobs since 2009. Who needs air pollution control at this rate? ;)
    Wha?
    Options
    And on that same page a Bloomberg story about a 12 passenger supersonic business plane that goes from the UK to NY in 4.5hrs at a cost of $120M. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options

Wilber at Wilber's...

These STUPID MORONS don't get that just because it is gas or electric does NOT mean that the carbon footprint of producing and using those fuels is less than that of a few sticks of wood.  The World has gone STUPID. 

"Thinking themselves to be wise, they became fools"

• fishlessman
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Wha?
    see, its hard to keep up when your not here enough =)=)=)
    fukahwee maine

• nolaegghead
    Options
    There is a difference between local air quality and carbon footprint climate change yada yada.  If you live in a valley, all the air pollution can build up like fog.  Many cities are in geographical locations where the air pollution can be suffocating.   So the local governments will target reducing emitters.
    Options
    AQMD is already on our a**es in CA 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
     I'm with Nola on the valley theory. And if you've ever been to salt lake its pretty much just a bowl surrounded by mountains. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    edited December 2015
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Yeah, but I'm pretty sure the population density of cities with millions of people is at least a little greater than a freighter on the high seas.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1229857/How-16-ships-create-pollution-cars-world.html

Just 16 ocean going freighters create as much pollution as all the cars in the world.

Btw, there are over 100,000 ocean going ships.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Nuisance issue? Who is he bothering? Wilber's has no neighbors that aren't businesses. Very few anyway. And I'll bet he's been there longer than most.

As for valley smog build-up, this is eastern NC... there ARE no valleys. Or mountains to surround them. Flat as a pancake as far as the eye can see. 

And anyway, the place is an institution!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut