Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eating steak out

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    jmarbs21 said:
    I got a longhorn gift card for Christmas and had to put my game face on and said I like it. You can't replace a BGE steak, just saying! 
    They have gift card swap/sell sites out there...
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    RRP said:
    johnnyp said:
    Alright, I'm going to ask the question I'm sure people are thinking.  

Will someone share their better than steakhouse techniques on this post.  (@RRP I'm looking at you)

i can say with confidence that I can outcook a longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, outback, etc.  that being said, I haven't come close to replicating results of a high end steakhouse like Ruth Chris or mortons.  Advice for mastering the craft would be appreciated by more than just me, I'm sure
    May I suggest you make this challenge a separate thread? Your question is a great one IMO and has merit! Otherwise the responses will get lost to future searches on the subject. And BTW, no, I'm not running from the challenge! I proudly won $2,000 plus 2 large BGEs in back to back years at a steak only cooking contest.

I'm sorry but I have to ask...brother @RRP would you consider putting up those shorts as bounty for the winner of the challenge?  I'm thinking hat will up the participation a least 10,000%
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I believe my BGE steaks are some of the best I've ever had.  However, last night, my wife and I were staying in downtown Chicago and had dinner at Wollensky's grill on State street next to the Chicago river and I learned I have competition out there.  I had the dry aged bone in rib eye and she had the filet mignon.  I bet if I had my thermopen with me, they both would have registered at exactly 134 degrees.  The beef was amazingly flavorful.  Both were perfectly cooked and the filet came with a trio of sauces: Béarnaise, au poivre and chimichurri.  Now my goal is to replicate the sauces.  A pricey meal but one I'll not soon forget.  Part of it could have been the beautiful woman next to me though.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
     I proudly won $2,000 plus 2 large BGEs in back to back years at a steak only cooking contest.

You are the man brother. I can't believe that I'm the only one to hit the like button on that one. Brother I give you the double seal on general principal alone. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• milesvdustin
    Options
    Those shorts.......

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Short jorts.  Haven't seen those since...hmmm...1981?
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Please quit reposting that pic...

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    my apologies for posting a 10 year old picture =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @RRP - hats off to you for winning that contest in all seriousness.  Two grand plus two large BGEs - that's no joke.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Dont post it in the other steak thread, it will get buffaloed for sure. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'll have to go to a @SGH hog slaughter to unsee those Daisy Duke's.....  :o
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    henapple said:
    I'll have to go to a @SGH hog slaughter to unsee those Daisy Duke's.....  :o
    Come on by about mid February. Going to slaughter a few goats and kids (not children). 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pescadorzih
    Options
    Had a ribeye at McCormick & Schmick's in Chicago last week.  I know I can make better steak than the one I had there. 
    At least I could expense it.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • littlerascal56
    Options

I have had some terrible cuts at Outback and other major steakhouses. We don't order steak when we eat at the chain restaurants.

The best steaks in Kansas are in the small towns, off the beaten path. Only the locals know about them, although word does get out.  There is a place about 25 miles from here that serves a 16, 24, or 32 oz rib eye that are unbelievable.  They age the meat for 28 days before the cut it.  Steaks are 1 1/4" thick, and have perfect sear on outside.   Price is 50% of the chains.   They have a full service bar, and have specialized in rib eyes for the past 25 years. 

I send a lot of sales reps over there with their clients, and everyone rants about the rib eyes.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    We go out for Sushi....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I've got a very, very good memory, but I can't remember the last time I ordered a steak in a restaurant.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Sonny3
    Sonny3 Posts: 455
    Options
    I haven't perfected the steaks of the BEST steakhouses yet, honestly haven't tried.  But since I started doing them on the egg, I have not even been tempted to order one in a restaurant yet.

In fact, we don't even go out to eat very often these days.  Between the eggs and my new Blackstone, we just can't find a reason to go out.
    Titusville, Fl. and just bought XL and Med BGE.  "Every Day is A Bonus" in my world, and my job is to choke the life out of them. Cancer Sucks.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sonny3 said:
    I haven't perfected the steaks of the BEST steakhouses yet, honestly haven't tried.  But since I started doing them on the egg, I have not even been tempted to order one in a restaurant yet.

In fact, we don't even go out to eat very often these days.  Between the eggs and my new Blackstone, we just can't find a reason to go out.
    It's amazing how much less we eat out since taking up egging!  So often you pay three times more to eat food half as good as homemade.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    i used to like the older chains better where you ordered a number 7 med/rare, potato baked 6.99 =) these newer chains, outback, roadhouse, longhorns i just order the burgers nowadays, its harder to mess up a burger =)    this can be done though, i once ordered a burger med/rare and it came back just cooked on one side =) rare/raw on the other side
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokingPiney
    Options
    If a really good steak is what I crave, I look no farther than my Egg.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    There's nothing on that plate but fat and gristle 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Not ordering a steak out well proceeded the egg.  A Webber kettle and other basic bbq's do just fine.  There are some high end places that do better than me, because I rarely buy USDA prime or high end  beef.  Mostly it is regular Costco beef for home use.  I also keep it a tad more healthy; not much salt and no butter finishes when I'm at home.

@RRP I'm on your side.  The shorts that are in style today are so long they defeat the purpose of wearing shorts.  
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options

I have had some terrible cuts at Outback and other major steakhouses. We don't order steak when we eat at the chain restaurants.

The best steaks in Kansas are in the small towns, off the beaten path. Only the locals know about them, although word does get out.  There is a place about 25 miles from here that serves a 16, 24, or 32 oz rib eye that are unbelievable.  They age the meat for 28 days before the cut it.  Steaks are 1 1/4" thick, and have perfect sear on outside.   Price is 50% of the chains.   They have a full service bar, and have specialized in rib eyes for the past 25 years. 

I send a lot of sales reps over there with their clients, and everyone rants about the rib eyes.

Can you share the name of the recommended steak house and its location?  I make it to KC a few times each year.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jakebge
    Options
    Guess what I just got from my in-laws for Christmas?.......a gift card to Texas Roadhouse.....no complaints, it's the thought that counts.  I actually do enjoy their chicken criders.   I wish I could find a way to tell them how I would prefer a gift card from our local butcher.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Are you sure your in laws really like you? =)  JK.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • jakebge
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Are you sure your in laws really like you? =)  JK.
    They are from Louisville, so I always give them the benefit of the doubt.   :)

Does anyone else get offended when friends and family associate your grilling steak on the BGE with a steak restaurant like Texas Roadhouse or Lonestar?

Maybe one day I will successfully match a t-shirt and shorts combination like RRP and then people will take me seriously. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
  • jakebge
    Options
    @jakebge www.cardpool.com
    Ever used this?
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options

There was a place in Russell KS I remember going to as a kid.  Pace was legit