Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just purchased Adjustable Rig.. Excited!

Options
whats up guys... Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays... 

I mi just purchased the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store.. Should be here just in time for me NYE weekend full of egging.. (Pork butts, St. Louis style ribs, beef ribs, and brisket) over the course of the weekend.. Probably throw some wings in the mix too..

i I recently got a promotion that will relocate me from northern va to the Hampton roads area.. So I am cleaning out the freezer...(aka having the time of my life lol)

pics and posts soon to come...

anyone care to share any tips on how they use their AR and how much meat they've smoked on it
Large BGE
36" BlackStone
Backwoods G2 Party
Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
Professional Drinker & Home Cook

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    i I recently got a promotion that will relocate me from northern va to the Hampton roads area.. So I am cleaning out the freezer...(aka having the time of my life lol)

Sounds like a reason to buy a big Yeti
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    That was my excuse to have a big party and cook a bunch of food... But.. Could also be my excuse to spend a bunch on a new cooler lol... I like the way you think @DoubleEgger
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    wish I had one.....  :angry: 
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I did a 16 lb brisket and two 7 lb shoulders all at once using the AR on my LBGE. Kinda tight fit but it worked.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to using th AR.. I have the Large as well.. Got a lot of food to cook this weekend so I'm sure it'll come in handy
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Here's a picture part way through. I shuffled the shoulders and the brisket during the cook. If you look at the dome, you can see the shoulder was hitting the dome inside. Also one of the shoulders was just a little too tall for the bottom rack. I still went with it. Didn't hurt anything.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    @Toxarch   What are you using to protect your thermo probe cables?

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Sounds awesome man.  

what part of Hampton roads are you moving to?
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    whats up guys... Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays... 

I mi just purchased the adjustable rig from the ceramic grill store.. Should be here just in time for me NYE weekend full of egging.. (Pork butts, St. Louis style ribs, beef ribs, and brisket) over the course of the weekend.. Probably throw some wings in the mix too..

pics and posts soon to come...

anyone care to share any tips on how they use their AR and how much meat they've smoked on it
    Awesome on all counts! I really enjoy my ar, never leaves my egg.  I added the spider, and with that set-up, I had two 17 pound briskets on my large.  

There is no luck, there are people prepared to take advantage of opportunity.  Good for you.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • jakebge
    Options
    AR has been one of my top purchases.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I love mine!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • AVEngineer
    Options

Welcome to the area.  There are a couple of good butchers around that will be happy to help you restock your freeze when the time comes. 
    Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    @AVEngineer nice! Can you recommend a few to me?
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    @johnnyp going to live with a family member in Suffolk for a few months until I decide where I want to buy a house.. Leaning towards the Chesapeake area... Any recommendations? I'm pretty familiar with the area.. Grew up in Richmond va so not far
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • johnnyp
    Options
    Any recommendations? 
    I live on the peninsula in Newport News.  If you're looking at this side of the water, I would recommend York County.

On your side of the James River I'm not as familiar with the neighborhoods.  But areas to avoid are downtown Norfolk and Portsmouth
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    Thanks man.. Looking forward to doing a lot of fishing and a lot of smoking lol @johnnyp
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • AVEngineer
    Options
    @EggSmokeVa  I use Central Meats in Chesapeake on Centerville Turnpike mainly, I have heard that The Original Shopwise Meat Market in the area of the Virginia Beach Courthouse has a good selection, but I am seldom out in that area of VB to stop by and check it out.  Also The Village Butcher in the Hilltop Section of VB has a good selection just as the Country Butcher at the VB Farmers Market.  

As for housing, it all depends on where you will be working.  Suffolk is great but you might find dealing with the High Rise bridge on I64 a hassle, although on it's worst day it seldom compares to what the DC area is capable of.  Chesapeake and Virginia Beach are great just as is some of the older sections of Norfolk like Ghent and Larchmont.  

Medium BGE , iGrill2
    Virginia Beach, VA
  • EggSmokeVa
    Options
    I am going to be the area sales manager for Hampton roads...so I will be traveling all over frequently @AVEngineer
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
  • johnnyp
    Options
    I dig central meats as well.  

Their briskets are preposterously expense though. Last time I was there, they wanted $7/lb for CAB.  I went to Walmart
  • Toxarch
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    @Toxarch   What are you using to protect your thermo probe cables?
    Someone on here used this before me. It's a wire heat shield rated for 1100 degrees and reduces radiant temps by 60 percent. It's done a great job protecting the wires so far. The one is only discolored because I used it on a stick burner one weekend. Under $20 on Amazon for 25 feet.
    The only problem I've had is the high temp shrink tube that came with it doesn't shrink quite enough for my tiny probe wires. But it's close enough. 
    Look on Amazon for "Heatshield Products 203121". This is the 7/16" inside diameter. I added a little foil to that one just in case.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.