Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Best Appetizer That You Will Ever Eat.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Fellows, I'm going to share something here that is cheap, easy to make, cooks fast, and simply is in a league of its own. It doesn't sound that great, but just try it. I give you my word that you will be more than impressed. Trust me on this one my friends.
Ingriedants:
1 Raw Egg.
1 Green Onion chopped. 
1 Bell Pepper chopped.
1 Sleeve of Ritz Crackers crushed into dust.
1 Roll of Jimmy Dean Original.
1 Roll of Jimmy Dean Hot. 
1 Pack of shredded Cheddar Cheese.
Combine all of the above and mix very well. Form into a loaf and cook indirect over oak at 325-375 degrees until a internal temp of 155 degrees. To say that this is spectacular is a understatement my friends. Hope that y'all enjoy it as much as we do. 

Yall got to try this one fellows. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    That's what I'm talking about my friend!! Pork meatloaf!  Have you ever tried it without the pan? Rolled like a fatty? @SGH
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Ok - I believe you, Scottie, but I'm missing the last chapter. After all cooked, how do you serve it as an appetizer? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Looks pretty interesting, going to have to give it a spin. Thanks for an awesome post, @SGH.

I was at a holiday party the other night and someone had brought over a bunch of different cookies. I was about 7 or 8 into my favorite one when I realized they were just Ritz covered in dark chocolate. I still ate about 4 or five more...

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Sounds delicious.
  • SGH
    Options
    RRP said:
    Ok - I believe you, Scottie, but I'm missing the last chapter. After all cooked, how do you serve it as an appetizer? 
    Just slice it into cubes and serve it on a toothpick like pigs in a blanket. Give it a try Ron, I give you my word that it's simply phenomenal. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great and easy brother!  Appetizer for two my friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    Just slice it into cubes and serve it on a toothpick like pigs in a blanket. Give it a try Ron, I give you my word that it's simply phenomenal. 
    Thanks! That makes sense. I just wasn't connecting the dots! 
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    Going to do this for the game Friday!! Thanks Scottie!  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • SGH
    Options
    Going to do this for the game Friday!! Thanks Scottie!  :)
    Follow the recipe/ingriedants exactly and you will not be disappointed my friend. Here is a useful tip. Use a pan big enough to keep the thickness 2" or less. It will cook more even than the thicker ones. Hope you enjoy my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    i think I've seen this before, in my copy of the American heart associations cookbook.  All kidding aside that looks awesome, and I need to try this sooner than later. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SGH
    Options
    I HATE bell pepper. Literally cant eat anything with it cooked in it. Reckon how many jalapenos would work without burning my lips off?
    You can omit the bell pepper if you wish. The Jimmy Dean Hot is pretty warm so I would limit the jalapeños to no more than 2 my friend. If you are heat sensitive, try it with just 1 as a test. I have made the loaf with no peppers at all (onion only) and it is still fantastic. 

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Looks damn good. I have some sausage I had made from some wild hogs. LOTS of it actually. Gonna try this one out. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    Gonna try this one out. 
    You will not be disappointed. Looking back, I should have shared this one back when I first joined the forum. 

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Now I have a new appetizer for the Super Bowl. Thanks Scottie.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRP
    Options
    I HATE bell pepper. Literally cant eat anything with it cooked in it. Reckon how many jalapenos would work without burning my lips off?
    I make a similar type of dip quantity wise which calls for either a full green pepper or 8 diced jalapenoes. Instead of either since my wife can't handle heat I just use 2 jalapenoes. The dip still tastes great, but doesn't burn. HTH
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    SGH said:
    Gonna try this one out. 
    You will not be disappointed. Looking back, I should have shared this one back when I first joined the forum. 
    I'm thinking this would be great rolled into meatballs and pan cooked with some thinned out bbq sauce. 

Little Rock, AR

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    SGH said:
    Gonna try this one out. 
    I'm thinking this would be great rolled into meatballs and pan cooked with some thinned out bbq sauce. 
    Or glazed with some bbq at the end and let it get sticky. 
  • SGH
    Options
    Or glazed with some bbq at the end and let it get sticky. 
    I sure that both of those would be great as well. However do me a favor and try it as is. I know it doesn't sound impressive at all, but it's one of those things that is really deceptive. Feel free to modify it and Doctor it up. But at least try it as is one time and let me know what you think. 

Status- Standing by.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    That's what I'm talking about my friend!! Pork meatloaf!  Have you ever tried it without the pan? Rolled like a fatty? @SGH
    That was my initial thought as well.  I will usually throw a sausage fattie on when doing an all day cook.  Slice it up with some eggs for breakfast.  I usually cook it directly on the grid if I've rolled and sealed it correctly.

Thanks for sharing Scottie.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SGH
    Options
     Have you ever tried it without the pan? Rolled like a fatty? @SGH
    I have, and they turn out pretty good as well. However without the pan you lose a lot of the cheese and more importantly, the grease. The soaking in the grease is what puts this over the top. 

Status- Standing by.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Can you eat a pabllano pepper? I often substitute....significantly different taste with great flavor. Just a suggestion.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Fellows, I made a typo in the ingriedants list above. For the bell pepper it should be 1/4 of a bell pepper, not 1 whole bell pepper. If you really like bell pepper you can certainly put a whole one in there. However I use 1/4 of a bell pepper myself. All other amounts are correct in the above list. My apologies my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Now thats my kinda food..Definitely going to make..Thanks.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Can you eat a pabllano pepper? I often substitute....significantly different taste with great flavor. Just a suggestion.
    I dont know that Ive ever tried a poblano. Might give that a try. Its just something about those bell peppers I cant handle. I dont even like to smell a bell pepper. 

Little Rock, AR

• tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    edited December 2015
    Options
    this is very similar to the sausage balls i make but i use bisquick vs ritz.  try rolling them in balls and baking on parchment paper, might be easier for you to serve as an appetizer

as for jalapeno, just deseed it and dice it up.  most of the heat is contained in the seeds
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @Biggreenpharmacist- Like you I can't stand bell peppers, but give an orange, red or yellow one a try.  Much different and good flavor.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SGH
    Options
    tonyled said:
     try rolling them in balls and baking on parchment paper, might be easier for you to serve as an appetizer

I have my friend. I just prefer to use the pan method. With the pan you do not lose the grease. Also you won't lose any of the cheese. The cheese and soaking in the grease is honestly what makes this so good. Once it's cooked, it doesn't have to be served in small chunks, it can be served in slices like meat loaf. Give this pan method a try and see what you think. 

Status- Standing by.

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    @sgh thank you for sharing this recipe. It is every bit as delicious as you stated.  I made it for a party last evening and  before I could snap a photo it was devoured by a group of hungry teens. Wish that I had made a double batch!
    IL