Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Eating steak out

I realize every meal at a restaurant is different but today was bad. Sher-bear and I received a $50 gc for Longhorns so I ordered prime rib. They brought me a strip steak. It had zero taste. The Mgr started to argue that it was prime rib. They finally brought me a piece of pr, 12 Oz that was 8 Oz of fat... Still no real taste. My baked potato was better. 
I hate to be one of "those" so I just ate it and left. Disappointed to say the least. 
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• My BGE has ruined my ability to enjoy any steak at a restaurant.  
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    I submit that you, as one of the forum icons, were asking for it Mr Apple.. You shoulda tried the fish.
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    I'm with you on the steak. Have you compared wings in the BGE to a Buffalo Wild Wings? At least it saves me money on eating out and stuff I make is a lot healthier than at a restaurant.
  • swordsmn
    jakebge said:
    My BGE has ruined my ability to enjoy any steak at a restaurant.  
    I'm that way about ribs/pulled pork in N.E. Atl.  Shane's doesn't do it for me anymore.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I had a similar experience @ Logan's with a Ribeye.  I ask the manager where they found such fat cows.  He looked at me and smiled like it was good thing.  I just put myself on their uninvited list.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    She actually told me a strip steak was prime rib. It took great restraint. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I do work for Logan's.... I realize as I eat at their restaurants all over its hit or miss... But don't bring me a different cut.... Lmao. I asked for 125 degrees... It had to be 140.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    henapple said:
    I do work for Logan's.... I realize as I eat at their restaurants all over its hit or miss... But don't bring me a different cut.... Lmao. I asked for 125 degrees... It had to be 140.
    I had a similar experience with a formerly open local place. I ordered a ribeye as it is my cut of choice. They brought me a strip. I notified the server that I ordered a ribeye and she gave me some jibberish about it being a ribeye, then she switched to some jibberish about the weight of the steak being a bit less and apologizing. I wasn't complaining about the size, it's a different steak! No hope. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @henapple
    I would have whipped someone's a$$ before I left. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• swordsmn
    Methinks unless you're at a Morton's, Bones etc the pride of culinary excellence is not abounding in the back.  I get the sense it's kids who just want to get to the bar later or former diner hacks.  I could be wrong
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    No steaks when we go out for dinner. No more pizza. No more ribs, chops, pulled pork. No more salmon or scallops. Burgers, wings, nope. Just hard to find something to make you want to go out. BGE cooked or nothing.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Lately I just order breakfast
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I've not ordered a steak out since owning my first BGE.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• That place has great baked potatoes and semi-cold beers. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If Mrs3969 insist we go out it is generally for Sushi.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    There is much incompetence inthe restaurant   business. You likely either had an incompetent cook, or a manager who failed to plan for enough on hand.....and tried to slide one on by thinking customers don't no their cuts. 

I am am with you.....hard to beat a home cooked steak.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • It is very rare that I order a steak in a restaurant. Last time I ordered a high-end steakhouse steak I was very disappointed and realized that I could approximate if not exceed these steaks at home. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• jakebge said:
    My BGE has ruined my ability to enjoy any steak at a restaurant.  
    @jakebge I could not agree more. Since I have purchased my big green egg I refuse to order steak at a restaurant.  You are not alone my friend!!!  Happy New Year!!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Way back when, I knew a couple of guys who were paid to cook steaks, altho they were not cooks, at fancy joints. They knew they were ruining the meat, but didn't know any better.

Can't imagine much has changed. My youngest cooks for a living, confirms. Too many on the line can't pull their weight, and, worse, don't even try.
  • If Mrs3969 insist we go out it is generally for Sushi.  
    This, or Mexican. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2015
    For 30+ years my wife and I were DINKs and we both worked hard long hours. We rewarded ourselves on our birthdays and our anniversary with a terrific supper at Peoria's premier steakhouse called Jim's. It is a nice, formal, white linen tablecloth and napkin steakhouse which serves top knotch dry aged beef. One drink before, a glass of house wine and terrific NY strips always meant dropping $100, though our last meal there was $130. That last meal was at least 10 years ago! I remember that amount because I slapped my head afterward and told my wife that I could dry age my own beef and have many wonderful steak meals at home on the BGE for $130, let still buy the white linen table cloth and napkins with room to spare. Yes, we had fond memories of those "reward" suppers, but we have eaten so much better at home and honestly we do not miss them!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    There are very few places I will order a steak at any more. All but one are "destination" places that are reserved for birthdays and what-not.
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Yeah.  Most egghead, including myself, have become steak snobs.  We know how a good steak is supposed to be prepared and all about the cut, and it's difficult to find a restaurant that meets that criteria without paying way too much money. Ha!  Come to think of it,  I'm also a BBQ snob to a certain extent.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • swordsmn
    edited December 2015
    SGH said:
    @henapple
    Yeah but you know the bailbonds people better than he does.. On second thought it's henapple...
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    swordsmn said:
    SGH said:
    @henapple
    Yeah but you know the bailbonds people better than he does.. On second thought it's henapple...
    He has a bacon broker.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    We are all spoiled since we can produce such great food off our eggs. @henapple maybe you should show the restaurant what a real steak should taste like.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Alright, I'm going to ask the question I'm sure people are thinking.  

Will someone share their better than steakhouse techniques on this post.  (@RRP I'm looking at you)

i can say with confidence that I can outcook a longhorn, Texas Roadhouse, outback, etc.  that being said, I haven't come close to replicating results of a high end steakhouse like Ruth Chris or mortons.  Advice for mastering the craft would be appreciated by more than just me, I'm sure
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    I got a longhorn gift card for Christmas and had to put my game face on and said I like it. You can't replace a BGE steak, just saying! 
    Durham, NC