Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st pizza on egg

Options
Burnt crust.  Even with the burnt crust pizza is still decent, not great but edible.  Could not get the dome temp over 400 degrees though.  Tips, advice?  Need higher temp, raised grid?
Elkhorn, NE
1 large egg
28" Blackstone
Akorn Jr. 

Comments

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    What was your setup? 
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Probably a setup issue as @Grillmagic asks.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Could be a number of things but your set up needs to be mentioned...  I don't like pizza but I'll eat it on the egg.  All my pizza's have turned out fine.  I flip my plate setter over, use spacers (tin foil pieces about 1/2 inch thick)between the flat and my pizza stone...  I haven't tried firing it up over 450 fer pizza though....
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    My set up was, platesetter legs up, then grill grid and then pizza stone.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    I use the plate setter with legs down and then three ceramic spacers and then the pizza stone. Need to allow plenty of time for all that ceramic to get to temp before setting the pie. I usually go at 500 degrees for 10-12 minutes.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options

The key is to get the stone close enough to the dome to get the right amount of radiant heat coming off the dome. If the stone is too far from the dome, the toppings will not be done by the time the dough is cooked (this is what you described). If the stone is too close to the dome, the toppings will burn by the time the dough is cooked. The proper height will depend on the dough recipe, cooking temp, dough thickness, and amount of toppings. Many find the sweet spot to have the stone 2-3" above the felt line - but remember you will need to dial it in for yourself. We all make our pizzas a little different so take this as a starting point and make adjustments for your personal style.

400º is lower than most cook their pizzas at. Try 500-550º.  Try a raised grid. Make sure the pizza stone is saturated with heat (if in doubt, let the egg sit at temp for an hour before cooking).

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    Here is my set up, platesetter legs up grate the Williams & Sonoma Pizza Que which takes the stone 2 inches above the felt and I bake pizza at 500/525
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the tips.  I am going to get some firebricks to raise the stone.  Half the fun is the journey.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I use PS/LU, grid, 3 firebricks (found them the property leftover from construction - 30 yrs ago), Pizza Stone.  make sure you fill up the firebox, not DFMT and full open vent. also make sure you keep the lump as dry as possible. Sometimes humidity keeps it from getting as hot as it can.  I also typically start it > 1hr before you put on the first pie. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Airflow issue.
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I will clean out the egg and did find the firebricks for the next attempt.
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr.