Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting the green egg

Options

I have problems getting my medium egg started so can I use a chimney to start my coals? I saw Bobbie Flay do this on a program and it worked well.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    I always use a chimney starter, never a problem...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • xiphoid007
    Options
    Lots of methods work great. Chimney starter, starter blocks/cubes, oil soaked paper towels, weed burners, looftlighter. Pick your poison!

I have a looftlighter and love it. When I do a reverse sear, I use the looftlighter to get the coals rocket hot super fast, so I like it better that other methods. I've also used starter cubes which work well.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @IowaJim  .. what kind of problem are you having starting your egg?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • LRW
    LRW Posts: 198
    Options
    I use a common MAPP plumbing torch never have a problem
    Volant, PA 1 LBGE ,Smokeware Cap, igrill2
    My Foodtography

• IowaJim
    Options
    Sometimes it doesn't heat up for over an hour.
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    I use a MAPP plumbers torch.  If you go this route, DO NOT get a propane torch, they will not burn well when held upside down.  It's easy and quick to get a bunch of coals burning quickly.  Make sure your vents are all wide open and air holes open in the fire box.  Any of the above mentioned methods will work fine.  Much depends on how quick you want to have the coals burning.  But any of them should have your EGG heated up quicker than what you are experiencing.  Check your vents and air openings.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    If you are seeing an hour to get up to temp then you must have an air-flow issue.  BGE runs on fuel (lump) air and a heat source to get the fire going.  Make sure all your fire-box vent holes are clear (can build up a good bit of ash behind the box).  FWIW-
    And welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  You will get this solved.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    these guys have already nailed it---sounds like airflow issue to me.  Check to be sure the fire box opening is lined up properly with bottom vent, and that all the holes / openings are clear
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE