Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Butt Chicken

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've been waiting on my chicken sitter,and I guess they are back ordered.I've read of using a can of beer,and was wondering if the aluminum can will create and off flavors.I was going to use Heineken,which seems to have a sturdy can,less paint on it.Will appreciate info.Thanks

Comments

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    11_06_9919_42_01.jpg
    <p />DirkR, I don't have a chicken sitter, but I usually have an empty can of miller lite and if not, I know where I can find one! If you look real close at the picture you'll see the can - works great - no flavor except for the spices and beer in the can! Good luck :~}

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • Thanks Gfw,
    In fact thanks for all of the advice you've given me so far.Thats a great picture,and if mine comes out looking like a long lost cousin I'll be plenty happy.Have a great weekend,Dirkr

• DirkR, go with the beer can for sure, but FYI I just chatted with Charlie at The Barbecue Store this morning regarding my Willie's Chicken Sitter order and they are supposed to arrive there in Texas today or Monday. Even the Cornish Game Hen sitters have been out of stock.

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    DirkR,
    I remove the paper label from a small tomato paste or pineapple juice can. I fill it with beer, set it under the chicken sitter, and the result is always great. No label, no problem, no bad birdy. Life is good.[p]Cheers,
    G.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Options
    DirkR,[p]Cook's Illustrated checked with a food scientist, who said the lacquer and ink on a beer can won't transfer to the bird unless the can comes in direct contact with flames. Keep the grill temp under 375 and you'll have no problem. Be careful about the can tipping over, though.[p]Cathy
  • Thanks,Cat,Gretl,one feral cat,& Gfw,
    It came out great.I used Brants Brined Beer butt Bird recipe.Its the best chicken I've ever had.I'm hooked!!!