Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally got a BGE. Most boring first cook ever.

Options
So...I picked up a large today. I'm so excited. Unfortunately, I didn't get it home in time to cook the chicken we had brining/marinating. I got it put together and I just had to light it up. Once I got it to 350F I wanted some food on it. Thank God I did. I didn't really understand what the BGE was until I put a couple of...drum roll please...yellow bell peppers on it.

I know. I know. Very boring, but they were a perfect vehicle for showing the beautiful subtlety of cooking on a BGE. I was able to maintain the BGE at around 350F. After an hour (!!!) with the peppers sitting right on top of the hot coals they had a perfect char and were cooked completely through. On my previous charcoal grill they would have been briskets in about ten minutes.

It took me about a year to bite the bullet and spend the money, but now that I see what BGE cooking is all about I can't wait to use it on "real food". I'm heading to Costco tomorrow for a pork butt and some ribs. First, though, is our traditional prime rib for Christmas dinner.

LBGE in PHX

Comments

• smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well it might be the first boring cook, but there will be plenty that will be so worth while. Have fun with it. There is a lot of great people here with lots of info and ideas. Welcome here.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Welcome to the Machine. The cost getting in is the cheapest part, staying in is the wallet killer. 
    Have fun, glad you are here!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome
    Phoenix 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    So...I picked up a large today. I'm so excited. Unfortunately, I didn't get it home in time to cook the chicken we had brining/marinating. I got it put together and I just had to light it up. Once I got it to 350F I wanted some food on it. Thank God I did. I didn't really understand what the BGE was until I put a couple of...drum roll please...yellow bell peppers on it.

I know. I know. Very boring, but they were a perfect vehicle for showing the beautiful subtlety of cooking on a BGE. I was able to maintain the BGE at around 350F. After an hour (!!!) with the peppers sitting right on top of the hot coals they had a perfect char and were cooked completely through. On my previous charcoal grill they would have been briskets in about ten minutes.

It took me about a year to bite the bullet and spend the money, but now that I see what BGE cooking is all about I can't wait to use it on "real food". I'm heading to Costco tomorrow for a pork butt and some ribs. First, though, is our traditional prime rib for Christmas dinner.
    A bell pepper cook with nice pics is still a great cook. No art, no love around here. Welcome to our little cult
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Papzi
    Papzi Posts: 39
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  This forum is an excellent place for cooking advice.  Great people who love cooking on the BGE and sharing their fervor for great food.
    Montgomery, OH
    Large BGE
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the zoo.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @20stone said, pics or it didn't happen. We don't read good. 

Welcome
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    For the first year all I cooked was steaks, hamburgers, and hot dogs. I couldn't overcome my amazement that they all came out perfect, every time.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    Options
    Where can I get this magical grill that turns simple yellow bell peppers into briskets??
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • malligator
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    Where can I get this magical grill that turns simple yellow bell peppers into briskets??
    Haha! I guess that's what I get for having a couple of beers while grilling my bell peppers. Unfortunately, I have not found the philosopher's stone to turn veggies into brisket. I do have an old grill that will turn them into briquettes, though. :)

LBGE in PHX

• SmokeytheEGG
    Options
    Soon you will be trying everything in the fridge and experience a new taste.  I smoked some baked beans a few weeks ago.  Now I wont ever do them in the oven again.  Welcome.
    Blue Ridge, GA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    Welcome aboard the crazy train.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Congratulations and Welcome, sometimes the boring cooks are the best! 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome!!!   Boring and simple rock here
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Welcome to the herd. Now get out your wallet and enjoy the journey.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Welcome and Congratulations!
    What happened to the marinating chicken?   :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  And if you scroll around the site today there are several Prime Rib cook threads that are active and full of info.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    well speaking from experience, doing a couple "simple, easy, boring" cooks is part of the early process in order to get a feel for temp control, etc.  I was going to do burgers for my very first cook a few years ago, got my fire going, thought it would take a few minutes to get up to speed, came back 10 minutes later to a screaming 800 burn!!!!  Yeah, so much for the gasket.  Anyway, live and learn, but that's part of the knowledge bank
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Where I come from, we call that roasting peppers for the Antipasta appetizer. See how easy it is to spin it? Welcome aboard.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Welcome to the Eggdiction.  Pork butt and ribs are fine for Christmas.  You may have a hard time finding Prime rib right now and the price is going to be high.  Heck we used to have lasagna for Christmas Eve.  Tonight it is ham cooked in an oven.  I don't get to do any cooking fro Christmas, my father in law like to do all the meat.  Tomorrow is Prime Rib in the over or an electric rotisserie, its good, but it would be better on the egg in my opinion.  Enjoy the cook and look forward to the photos.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Welcome!!  If you get that excited about peppers then I can't wait to hear about your first hot dog cook.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • malligator
    Options
    Welcome!!  If you get that excited about peppers then I can't wait to hear about your first hot dog cook.  
    No hot dogs in the house but we did just thaw some sweet Italian chicken sausage links. Report to follow!

LBGE in PHX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Welcome. My first cook was a hot pocket you can only go up from there.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    The Egg was and still is the best money spent for grilling or smoking. Some, from the outside, may think its just a cult. Cooking with an Egg may not make everything perfect but it does cover up for mistakes.