Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Countertop Choice

Options
124»

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Go to the Tile Shop @Lit. They have backsplashes in excess of $50/ft. 
    Get a price on back-painted glass...
    Agree.  That's what we used for the black/grey portion of our back splash.  We used artisan stone tiles as accent pieces.  That sheet is expensive.
    Shockingly so...but as they say, happy wife - happy life.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    btw, if anyone is in the market for a kitchen sink, check out the Kraus line at Amazon. What I like:
    1) competitive price
    2) 16 gauge steel
    3) rounded corners for easy cleaning
    4) grid, towel and deep strainer basket included
    5) shipped in a nice sack surrounded by heavy packing material
    +1 on Kraus.  I liked the sink so much we bought one of their faucets as well.  

Countertops get installed next week with the new sink.  Quartz on the back area with the sink, Quartzite on the island.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @tarheelmatt No, it was 3 years ago. Here's the after pic. We went with granite. 

My Beautiful Wife has requested a complete tear down and rebuild of the kitchen, in our 19th century, city home. Easy to ask, but difficult to do, without a total rebuild and add on. Our kitchen, when the house was designed, was a work space, not meant for social gatherings. That is what cooking was all about then. When you get 4 people in the kitchen, it is too crowded.

I really like the design and layout of this. Well thought and planned, exceptional décor. I love the island, I would put an environmentally controlled wine storage unit there.

You have a beautiful home. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options

Countertops get installed next week with the new sink.  Quartz on the back area with the sink, Quartzite on the island.
    A friend bought their faucet too and is very happy.  We didn't since we already bought a Moen.
    Remember to take pic!
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Go to the Tile Shop @Lit. They have backsplashes in excess of $50/ft. 
    Wow! we went cheap, less than $5/sf for these stone mosaic tiles.

Also love the Costco Ancona 900 CFM range hood, after 3 years the tiles are still greaseless (non-sticky) almost as freshly installed, even with daily heavy wokking.

canuckland
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Check this out. $90/ft

• Canugghead
    Options
    Mine looks similar to the Coral Springs Mix, what should I buy  with the dough saved  =)
    canuckland
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options

A friend bought their faucet too and is very happy.  We didn't since we already bought a Moen.
    Remember to take pic!
    Here's the before:

And the beginning:

I'll post an "after" once the counter tops are in.
    The damp PNW 
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    On a side note, as this is a counter top thread, I would not recommend the original formica/laminate crap our house came with.
    The damp PNW 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options

Quartzite is really cool stuff.  What color did you choose?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options

Quartzite is really cool stuff.  What color did you choose?
    The wife choose white macaubas.  Kind of marble-like with greyish veins running through it.  Looks nice, but I'm excited that this stuff is super tough.  Supposedly harder than granite and doesn't need to be sealed.
    The damp PNW 
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Why is everyone so opposed to sealing granite? Wipe some stuff on it every 6 months to a year and you're good to go. No biggie IMO
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Why is everyone so opposed to sealing granite? Wipe some stuff on it every 6 months to a year and you're good to go. No biggie IMO
    Even sealed its not as stain resistant as Quartz. Also there are treatments now for granite that you never have to do again the place we got our countertops from said for $250 they would put a lifetime sealer on if we went with granite.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    That $250 sealer is probably like paint protection on a car. $650 price costs the dealer $25
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Lit said:
    ...Also there are treatments now for granite that you never have to do again the place we got our countertops from said for $250 they would put a lifetime sealer on if we went with granite.
    sounds like lifetime clear coat paint protection car dealer tries to sell you, lol, right @Mickey =)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    That $250 sealer is probably like paint protection on a car. $650 price costs the dealer $25
    darn, you beat me to it.  great minds think alike or fools seldom differ?  ;)
    canuckland
  • BizGreenEgg
    Options
    I agree.  Our last place I put in butcher block counter tops, so I had to put mineral oil on them pretty frequently.  Not sealing is a bit of a sales pitch that just adds a small amount of convenience I suppose.
    The damp PNW 
  • FarmerTom
    Options
    Tell you what, any of you gotta have the latest, greatest countertop folks anywhere near the north central Ky. area, start tearing out your granite or butcher block tops, let me know.  I'll take them off your hands free of a disposal fee.  My grilling shed will be extremely appreciative.  

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    @FarmerTom If you know anybody that works in the elevator business, call them and ask for an old stainless steel cab or hoist way door. Or you can call the companies in your area and ask for one. Old ones usually go to the dump. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I agree.  Our last place I put in butcher block counter tops, so I had to put mineral oil on them pretty frequently.  Not sealing is a bit of a sales pitch that just adds a small amount of convenience I suppose.
    I don't think it was a sales pitch. The granite was much cheaper than the other option we were looking at. Would be strange for a sales person to push the cheap stuff.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You guys are a trip!!  

@doubleEgger - you would be time and money ahead to let a reputable company that is certified in using DryTreat sealer come in and seal your granite. That stuff is crazy tuff.  I've been using it for about 8yrs and only had about 4 stains that I had to go remove by applying a poultice for 24hrs.  You make fun of the $250 charge but the cost of the sealer is roughly $200 a quart plus there is labor involved so really that is not a bad deal if the applicator will stand behind his product by removing the stain if for some reason you happen to stain your granite. 

@lit - I agree that Quartz is fairly stain resistant to a point.  I've seen a name brand Quartz stain from a sheet of the comic page getting wet and the ink bled into the Quartz.  No knocking your tops by any means because I sell both. Just an FYI.  

Like I said earlier both are very good products and both have their own style of customers.   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Vetereggnarian
    Options
    I just considered it for our kitchen for most of the reasons you mentioned.  I wound up passing because it is so soft.  Our friends have it and it has a ton of dings and dents, and a ring where someone rotated a bottle of wine.  I was worried I'd knock a chunk off of an edge.   You are supposed to oil it once in a while, but that is minimal compared to sealing granite, and might be just for looks.

Try it.  It'll last a few years at least.  If you decide to replace it...it's only money.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Quartz / Granite and the resin w/Quartz should be ABOUT the same ultimate hardness.   the Resin MIGHT add a degree of stain resistance since the space between grains is 'filled'.

What do you guys recommend for a granite sealer?   I have some the the Dupont stuff and I'm not very impressed.   

As for SOAPSTONE, to get back to my original querry, that stuff does NOT have the mechanical hardness of a Silicon Dioxide material (quartz, for those who live in Peoria) in any of its forms, but IS completely Stain Proof.   The SAME stuff as was and may STILL be used in chem labs Everywhere.  
    The downside would appear to be that is simply does NOT come in the huge variety of colors and markings that characterize natural granite. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I really LOVE and appreciate all of the great INFO in this thread.  I wish I had known I was SUPPOSED to seal my granite 13 years ago when we had it put in.  I wonder if it's too LATE now - still no stains.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Begger the answer to your sealer question is two posts up from yours. 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    Found it.
    But for my use, UNDER my XL in a table to be built, not all THAT critical.