Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grade 5 Hex bolts for Bands

Options
I have loosened and tightened my bolts too many times because I haven't been tightening them enough, so now the threads are bad on the bolts.

I found grade 5 HEX bolts at Lowes but not carriage bolts. I tried using my 10-150 lb-ft torque wrench set at 10 lb-ft but it seemed like I was tightening almost too much. I realize the ceramic is strong but I decided to wait to borrow the higher quality 200 lb-in torque wrench from work (mine was also harbor freight).

My question is, will hex bolts be ok for this? I'm thinking since the bolts aren't locked into the square holes on the bands, they probably won't bend like carriage bolts would. Any thoughts?

Comments

• littlerascal56
    Options
    If you have a local Fastenal, they stock Grade 8 bolts, which are much harder.  You won't bend those.
  • MitchF
    Options
    I thought about those also, but I guess I'm wondering if the torque value of 125 in-lbs will be too much if there is no bend in the bolt.
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,171
    Options
    Pretty sure you want the bend indicating the bolt has yielded and will always apply a constant tension( like a spring) as the egg goes through multiple heat cycles. If you go grade 8 and don't yield the bolt I would consider loc-tite or nyloc nuts, which I'm sure would work fine if no
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mitch, the OEM bolts on the egg are Grade 8, so don't worry about breaking the ceramic.  Ace Hardware and the other big box stores have standard hex head bolts in Grade 8.  Grade 8 carriage bolts ... they're like unicorns.

Edit ... Michael is correct ... I had a senior moment.  Just change the 8 to a 5 and the post is correct:

Mitch, the OEM bolts on the egg are Grade 5, so don't worry about breaking the ceramic.  Ace Hardware and the other big box stores have standard hex head bolts in Grade 5.  Grade 5 carriage bolts ... they're like unicorns.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Mitch, the OEM bolts on the egg are Grade 8, so don't worry about breaking the ceramic.  Ace Hardware and the other big box stores have standard hex head bolts in Grade 8.  Grade 8 carriage bolts ... they're like unicorns.
    Nope. Grade 5. That's what came with mine anyway. And they're supposed to bend.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    the OEM bolts for the eggs absolutely bend when tightened properly. In fact that used to be in the instructions prior to the torque setting now used,
  • Coastalcooker
    Options
    A torque wrench with a lower range will be more accurate at 10 ft pounds which I think is the proper torque.

Bob
    Cookin' on the coast
    Shellman Bluff, GA
    Medium BGE

• xiphoid007
    Options
    I just email BGE and they sent me more hardware free. Seems easiest.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Ivanhoe
    Ivanhoe Posts: 223
    Options
    I just replaced mine with carriage bolts from Home Depot - getting kind of old having to re-align dome after my pizza cooks - this last one stripped the oem bolt on the top band.
    Tulare, CA - Large BGE
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    I purchased a bunch of grade 5 carriage bolts and will gladly send some your way.  Just PM me.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I had a bad over bite and loosened my bolts to correct the issue and the threads were striped and would not loosen.   I had to take a hack saw and cut my top bolt off.  I think a harder bolt would be the ticket.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.