Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any of you use an IR Thermometer?

egghead43
egghead43 Posts: 138
edited December 2015 in EggHead Forum
One like this looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for other than measuring the temp of the GrillGrates:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ir/irgun.html#AccessoriesTab

I sure don't need one, but it seems like it would be cool.  If you have one, what do you use it for?  I do have a Maverick ET-733 that will measure grate temp for low and slow, but nothing that would measure the IR heat supposedly put off by GrillGrates.

Comments

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I use for pizza (stone to ~450) and also on cast iron (sear). It is worth $35 IMO.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I have a cheap one and I find it to be pretty useful for measuring the temp of something like a pizza stone or a griddle.  It works pretty well for liquids too.  It is within a couple of degrees of my thermapen for boiling liquid.  The nice part is you don't have to touch the liquid so it is one less thing to clean.  I used it to help my wife my toffee.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Well, part of my justification is the GrillGrates are supposed to get upwards of 200 degrees hotter than the dome temp.  It would be helpful to know exactly how hot it's getting.  If that's really true, it seems I'd never need to take the Egg above 500 for searing steaks?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    when ive used them at work i found that different materials read differently even at the same temp as in, a stainless pot will read differently than a black cast iron one. dont see any real use in an egg. i use them to find temperature drops in piping and in reactor or heating vessels at work
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    I have one of their more expensive models that they no longer carry. It was on a special sale which included a free probe on a wire so it serves the same purpose as a Thermapen. Do I need the IR? No, but I do use it as said before to check the temperature of my pizza stone. I also use it inside to check cast iron when I plan to sear meat. If you like toys the buy it! BTW you can also justify buying it to look for air leaks around windows and doors!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP said:
    I have one of their more expensive models that they no longer carry. It was on a special sale which included a free probe on a wire so it serves the same purpose as a Thermapen. Do I need the IR? No, but I do use it as said before to check the temperature of my pizza stone. I also use it inside to check cast iron when I plan to sear meat. If you like toys the buy it! BTW you can also justify buying it to look for air leaks around windows and doors!
    Good point on the doors and windows.  Though it would just freak me out lol!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have that one. Good for pizza stones and for checking the temp in my old knob-controlled electric oven. Had it for 2-3 years and the laser pointer recently stopped working. Thermo still works, I just can't tell exactly where I'm pointing. Hard to miss a pizza stone or the back wall of my oven though! Gotta send it in for repair.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    RRP said:
    high wingback chairs solve the leaky window problem =) my house was built in 1940 using old windows from a house much older
    fukahwee maine

• Pizza stone, CI pan or DO. Great for reading the oil temp if you are into deep frying. HF has one on for $5 right now, it is accurate on dark surfaces. (Most egg surfaces are dark)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited December 2015
    For cooking, I use it mostly to see when stones, pans, griddles, etc are to the temp I need. In Egg, and in kitchen stove. Somewhat for testing the surfaces of drying chambers.

But also use it a lot to measure wall and window temperatures around the house. Tho' insulated in the late 70's, my house is 100 years old, and continues to settle. Door frames, and to a lesser extent windows are major energy leaks. Also, makes it nice to know when winter sun is hot enough to warrant opening blinds, or when to close same and go to interior lights.

Frankly, I'd love to get a FLIR personal camera, but until my old desktop dies, can't even begin to justify the expense to get an iPad or Android just to use it.
  • I use my cheapo for griddle and cast iron. 

Also so on the dog, wife, kids....
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2015
    I have that one. Good for pizza stones and for checking the temp in my old knob-controlled electric oven. Had it for 2-3 years and the laser pointer recently stopped working. Thermo still works, I just can't tell exactly where I'm pointing. Hard to miss a pizza stone or the back wall of my oven though! Gotta send it in for repair.

Are you sure the laser quit or you accidentally turned it off? With mine I seem to turn it off all the time. To turn back on pull the trigger and hold it then hit the down button. My down button has an arrow pointing down next to it plus the button itself is labeled C/F. Granted I have a different model, but I wonder if the on/off feature is on yours in a different series of buttons to push. Might be worth a call.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    when ive used them at work i found that different materials read differently even at the same temp as in, a stainless pot will read differently than a black cast iron one. dont see any real use in an egg. i use them to find temperature drops in piping and in reactor or heating vessels at work
    There is a coefficient of reflectivity (or something like that) for IR thermometers.  Unless you know this constant, you most likely won't get an accurate temperature.  For relative temp measurements on the same material, they're great. 

I have a Dewalt IR gun and you can plug in these constants.

Emissivity coefficients.  That's it.

There is a coefficient of reflectivity (or something like that) for IR thermometers.  Unless you know this constant, you most likely won't get an accurate temperature.  For relative temp measurements on the same material, they're great. 

I have a Dewalt IR gun and you can plug in these constants.

Emissivity coefficients.  That's it.

mines like yours,  im usually using it to find small incremental drops in temps to know if the heat transfer from item to item is working properly, its great for finding changes of temps in piping that may be clogged or a hidden leak in a baffled heating jacket on a kettle.  dome temps are close enough in an egg, i can take it from there =) shiny polished items are the worst, especially if not flat
    fukahwee maine

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Started using one a couple years back.  Sure has helped my pizza game.

Phoenix 
  • Pizza stone like the others. I don't know how else to regulate what temp I cook at and how to perfect pizza.

I use it inside in frying pans on the stove to know when they're hot enough to cook rather than guessing. Also for regulating temp for cooking pancakes on the stove.  

I actually love it and use it daily, but mostly not with the egg.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    RRP said:

Are you sure the laser quit or you accidentally turned it off? With mine I seem to turn it off all the time. To turn back on pull the trigger and hold it then hit the down button. My down button has an arrow pointing down next to it plus the button itself is labeled C/F. Granted I have a different model, but I wonder if the on/off feature is on yours in a different series of buttons to push. Might be worth a call.
    No call needed! I just did as you suggested and it works like a charm now! Had no idea you could turn off the laser (or why you'd want to). Hasn't happened in the years I've owned it, until now. Somewhere, I have the instructions. Thanks, Ron!

Is there a switch to fix cracked T-pen cases? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Well, part of my justification is the GrillGrates are supposed to get upwards of 200 degrees hotter than the dome temp.  It would be helpful to know exactly how hot it's getting.  If that's really true, it seems I'd never need to take the Egg above 500 for searing steaks?
    I have my doubts about that.  The grates could get hotter being closer to the radiant heat of the coals, but 200 seems quite a jump.

So, some of you do use it on liquids?  That's where I think it could be useful, measuring the temp of deep-fry oil, but I always wondered, is it "seeing" the clear liquid, or the inside wall of the pot?  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• @Botch - pretty sure it is the oil. When temping a dry CI skillet that is on the propane burner, the reading is hotter directly over the burner flame, cooler in the centre for the first few minutes (until the CI stabilizes).
    If temping oil an inch deep in the same pan - the reading seems to be very consistent. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Thanks, Skiddy!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I use my the most to get my Senegal parrot back to his cage when he decides to go wandering! Works great. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    So, if I use the IR thermometer on a pizza stone, what temp am I looking for it to be?
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    Botch said:
    Well, part of my justification is the GrillGrates are supposed to get upwards of 200 degrees hotter than the dome temp.  It would be helpful to know exactly how hot it's getting.  If that's really true, it seems I'd never need to take the Egg above 500 for searing steaks?
    I have my doubts about that.  The grates could get hotter being closer to the radiant heat of the coals, but 200 seems quite a jump.

So, some of you do use it on liquids?  That's where I think it could be useful, measuring the temp of deep-fry oil, but I always wondered, is it "seeing" the clear liquid, or the inside wall of the pot?  
    I frequently use it on liquidy things rather than using the candy thermometer.

I can usually tell by eye when I'm making a batch of fudge when the temp is right but the IR makes for a quick, easy, and mess free check.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Works for checking frying oil temp in the wok. Thermapen works too, but the IR thermometer doesn't have to be cleaned after. It's not accurate, but I  don't need it to be, just need it to be close.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    xactly.  I calibrate by heating said oil until conflagration.  Then I just keep the temp below that.  It's all relative.  They are awesome cat toys too.
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited December 2015
    I've got the Harbor Freight one and it has been a real gem so far. Point it at a thermometer and it will read what the thermometer reads.
    Right now it is cheaper then I have ever seen it.

Hope his link works, http://widgets.harborfreight.com/wswidgets/common/displayCoupon.do?week=5215&campaign=a2&page=thermometer.html&single=true&main=true&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=5215a2&utm_source=1022&cid=mEmail_s1022_c5215a2

Edit, sorry I didn't see it was a "spend $49 to get this" offer but it often can be had for under $25 with sales and 20% off coupons.
  • Botch
    CodyA88 said:
    So, if I use the IR thermometer on a pizza stone, what temp am I looking for it to be?
    Depends on how thick the pizza is.  For a relatively thick "Cowboy" from Papa Murphy's, go by their TV commercial, "Love at 425 degrees".
    A thin Margherita pizza, I go to 900 (using the dome thermo, don't have an IR thermo (yet)).  Those are perfectly cooked in 90 seconds!
    A New York style, I'll usually go to 600 or so.  

Pizzas are just like a hunk of meat, you need to balance cooking the pie and crisping the crust, and the thickness dictates the heat level, just like using a very hot Egg to grill a skirt steak and a relatively cool Egg to do a butt.  

• Botch
    Botch said:
    A thin Margherita pizza, I go to 900 (using the dome thermo, don't have an IR thermo (yet)).    
    Okay, I bought one now, should be here in a week!   B)