Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tenderloin direct vs indirect

I am planning to cook a beef tenderloin for Christmas Eve for the first time.  I have seen several recipes, some direct and some indirect.  The question is which one is best?  

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    chasgh said:
     The question is which one is best?  
    The answer is debatable at best. But with that said, it depends on the size of the loin and your setup. If you are able to go raised direct, you can get stellar results as long as you keep temps somewhat low. Indirect lends it's self well to any cut in the subprimal range and higher. It's hard to go wrong with indirect for the larger cuts. It's reduces the chances of scorching and burning dramatically. But again, with the proper setup, technique and temp control, you can achieve great results with either method. You could also sear it direct in the beginning and finish cooking it indirect. There are many ways to reach a end. One is no better than the other when done correctly. Many folks cook whole hogs and goats raised direct. Even beef splits weighing in excess of 500 pounds can be cooked raised direct or side fired direct when rotated. Me personally, I like to give beef tenderloin a light sear direct up front and then finish it indirect. Just has always worked well for me. Hope that this helps a little my friend. Good luck. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• chasgh
    chasgh Posts: 64
    It would be a larger cut in the 7lb range.  I do  not have the setup to allow for raised grilling so it sounds like I should plan to go indirect.  Thanks for your help.  Any recommendation on cooking temps indirect?
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    if you are trying to maximize the medium rare portion and minimize the brown ring, I'd stay down around 250*. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • I do the standard sear first / then indirect method. I sear each side (four sides) for two minutes per. I don't get the Egg crazy high because it takes too long to get back down to temp for the indirect part. Usually sear at 500-600. Then I pull it off, put the plate setter on and put the tenderloin back on at around 300. Takes about 60-90 minutes to get it to 130-135 internal. Always comes out great!
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited December 2015
    I reverse sear my loins and they are marvelous.  That's what the wife says. :)

indirect at 250 - 275.  Pull around 125 and then set your Egg up for direct and get temp up.  I like to wait at least 20 mins. Then, back on down low and flip and flip until you have good color.  Works everything.   Good luck. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • TCT
    TCT Posts: 168
    I did this for the 1st time last Xmas Eve. Went indirect @ 275 and had IT of 115 in 1 hour - which was WAY too early for the rest of the meal. Ended up foiling and then reverse sear. Turned out great. All the above comments are right on as well!! Have fun - you'll be fine!!

Craig

Cockeysville, MD

LBGE and a large list of stuff I want

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    We had this for our Christmas dinner party.  Seasoned with S&P, and I actually used my gas grill to sear it, and went indirect on my egg to roast it.  I didn't feel like waiting around for the egg to get back down to temperature after searing.   I think it was 375F until center reached 130 (I know, a little too done, but our guests like it like this).  Turned out great. Good luck!
  • I do a whole tenderloin for Thanksgiving each year.  Here's how I do it with great results each time.

- Season with kosher salt the night before and allow to rest in the fridge uncovered.

- Add a little salt and fresh cracked black pepper prior to hitting the grill.

- Roast indirect at 250-300 until IT is around 110-115.

- Pull the plate setter and ramp up for the sear. 

- Rub a little grapeseed oil on the tenderloin and sear all sides evenly.

- I shoot for a final temp of 135 based on my family's preferences.

As I recall, the cooking time ends up being right around an hour including the sear.  Good luck.

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I am also doing Tenderloin. I plan to SV at 135, take off and rest so not to overshoot, coat with some light seasoning and then sear. May not get the full egg flavor but I am counting on an even IT. 

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• LKNEgg
    LKNEgg Posts: 339
    Plan on doing same thing here.   First time with the whole beef loin, but believe I will do the reverse sear method. Sounds the easiest to control bge temps.
    Planning on splitting the loin into 2 section since part of the family likes it more done. Both will go on at 250 indirect until IT of 100.  Then pull and wait for Temps to come up to 500 to 550. Sear until reach desired IT of 125 and 140.  Plan on carry over cooking of 5 or so degrees. 

Plan to slice and serve with horse radish sauce and/or dijon mustard as cocktail sliders!  Will let everyone know how it works out!
    Large BGE - 2014
    FB 200, KAB, AR - 2015
    Lake Norman area of NC
    The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten!

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing!

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Here's a couple I've done, all involve both a sear (direct) and a roast (indirect).

Roast first:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181649/free-beef-tenderloin

Sear first:
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1183514/independence-day-cooks/p1

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    DMW said:
    Here's a couple I've done, all involve both a sear (direct) and a roast (indirect).
    Show off ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    There you go.  I like CI sear then finish at 400. Reverse sear works great, especially with a roast.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • chasgh
    chasgh Posts: 64
    Guys, just want to thank all for the advice.  Cooked the first tenderloin and it was a thing of beauty.  Committed a rookie mistake and was so excited to serve it I forgot the pics but reversed seered it and it came out perfectly!  Had the texture of cotton candy!  Thanks again and next time I'll take pics.  Now on to tomorrow and the turkey!!