Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Straight Razors (I have no clue)

Options
Went to a gift exchange party last night.  It was fun, you get to open a gift and next person can steal your gift or open another one.

I missed out on 2 Yeti Lowballs, but I ended up with a pretty neat looking straight razor.  The edge on it is terrible, but no nicks, just dull.  I can fix that.

Does anyone know anything about this?  There are no identifying marks:

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    Lol, yeah.  Can't believe I had a Lowball and lid stolen and swapped for this.

Not sure what to do with it.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    That's cooler than a Yeti lowball, IMHO
    It sure is different.  I like it, but not sure what to do with it.  Maybe sharpen it and try to shave.

Any idea how to tell what type of steel it is?  Looks Damascus, but I doubt it is.
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Slice your next brisket with it.  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• CanadianAnvil
    Options
    It is Damascus. Agree with Nola. Way cooler than a cup. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Well, if you really figure out a use let me know. Mine are antiques from the late 1800's and early 1900's when my Grandfather was a barber. I have been told by a well respected antique dealer that they have no particular value! Sorry you lost out on a YETI...

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Real barbers still use a straight razor. My understanding is that it requires special licensing. I used to get the barber in Iceland, Honduras and Panama to shave my face and neck with one. Felt like a newborn's bottom afterward. It's a lost art imho. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Mount in a shadow box frame, see if you can find an old straight razor murder story from the 1920's or something to print out on parchment and mount in the frame, hang in your guest bathroom.
  • RRP
    Options
    Real barbers still use a straight razor. 
    I got a haircut last Wednesday and my barber used one to do the outline around the ears and neck. While waiting I have seen him using it on others and I'd say it's definitely a practiced skill.

My other recollection was in college my freshman year - three guys from St Louis resided across the hall in the dorm. Two of them tucked a straight razor in their shoes. The third roommate played college football and was BIG. He didn't carry one and didn't need to! LOL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @RRP I miss the quaint days when people hid razors in their shoes.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Bad bad Leroy Brown...

There's a forum called Badger and Blade that's all 'bout shaving stuff - might fond someone over there that can help you.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Spaightlabs thanks!  I'll check it out.  Wonder what their Fridays are like?
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @Spaightlabs thanks!  I'll check it out.  Wonder what their Fridays are like?
    Friday's are pretty cut throat over there. 
    Someone belongs in the punitentiary
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Bad bad Leroy Brown...

There's a forum called Badger and Blade that's all 'bout shaving stuff - might fond someone over there that can help you.
    Dang it, a whole 'nother wormhole to go down.  Looks like it might be another one of those expensive gifts.
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP I miss the quaint days when people hid razors in their shoes.
    That was way back in 1963, so I highly doubt you were even a glimmer in your dad's eye for another 15 or 20 years! 
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options
    I think you found a GEM in disguise.   That, in case nobody has told you, is DAMASCUS steel.   It is made, these days by laminating different alloys together, hammering them flat, folding and repeating.   You can easily get a couple hundred layers.   And since you SHOULD use a high carbon and a low carbon or stainless, you end up with a flexible (ductile) blade of major edge holding ability.
    Look at the knives SHUN makes.  

OLD SCHOOL damascus was made from steel made in a cowshit fire in India and became the stuff of Legend.   NOBODY knew how they did it until fairly recently.   It's all about temperature and carbon.  

Any stamping / marking on the blade or handle to determine AGE?   It looks older than what I understand the modern Damascus makes it.   

I just looked at an enlargement of the first photo and BOY, is that thing in ROUGH shape.

If asked do NOT take any lowball offers for it.  
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    It's a very nice looking razor.  Take and let a pro sharpen it for you.  The trick with these things is letting the razor do the work.  Short even stroke, with multiple passes to get a bbs shave.  (Baby's butt smooth). I've been using a straight razor for the last 2 1/2 to 3yrs and love it.  Before that was into double edge razors, hated paying for the dumb cartridges for the multi blade systems. 

Best of luck with your new toy get a good brush and some decent shave soap or cream not the crap in a can and go at it. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i would post a pic on the straight razor place forum. dont sharpen it yourself, it already looks like its sharpened wrong, their should already be some sharpening wear on the back spine.  theres some cheap damascus coming out of china now so maybe they can give a better id on it.

these are my daily shavers, the first was bladestock from the early 30's germany refurbished by heribert wacker, the second one is late 1800's with the only leather handle ive ever seen

100_1686jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options

these are my daily shavers,

100_1686jpg

That's just plain bad ass!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    You'll be the coolest crack dealer in Illinois with that thing! 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @fishlessman nice!  From what I have read and seen on Badger&Blade those are some fantastic and highly prized blades.
  • fletcherfam
    Options
    Yea it looks like damascus steel, probably a one of custom someone did? If it doesn't have any markings on the blade, or handle, my best guess is a one off custom razor.

My daily shaver is this Hart Steel American made razor (7/8 quarter ground, but with a rounded tip and wood handle:
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    Here in GA, a barber has to be licensed to use a straight razor. Love the whole hot towel abs shave from my old barber. Unfortunately, he's got Parkinson's now, so the straight razor had to go.

That thing is a beauty. If you can find a good, true barber shop, I bet they could help you identify it!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    edited December 2015
    Options
    It's funny - every year it seems my wife does shaving things for me for Christmas.  2 years ago was a Gillette 5 blade razor setup and various skin moisturizers.  Last year, she got me a nice cordless wet/dry electric with a bunch of attachments.  This year, I hinted to her that I'd like to get a nice shave kit (shave soap, badger brush, apothecary cup, etc.) and a safety razor.  Next year, I'm hoping for a straight razor and strop...

...goin' ole' school...

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    GuitarEC said:
    It's funny - every year it seems my wife does shaving things for me for Christmas.  2 years ago was a Gillette 5 blade razor setup and various skin moisturizers.  Last year, she got me a nice cordless wet/dry electric with a bunch of attachments.  This year, I hinted to her that I'd like to get a nice shave kit (shave soap, badger brush, apothecary cup, etc.) and a safety razor.  Next year, I'm hoping for a straight razor and strop...

...goin' ole' school...

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atl., Ga.
    moss scuttle over the cup, heats the lather and keeps it warm
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    https://instagram.com/p/7TOwCrxS3g/

https://instagram.com/p/7TOm9uRS3H/

my buddy made that straight razor 

I have thought about getting one. I use a DE safety razor have for nearly 3 years 
    Boom