Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt ready to go - which wood for smoke

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I have a pork butt (probably around 9 pounds) ready to go on my old clay kamado pot this evening for a dinner tomorrow. I've covered the thing with JJ's rub which is some good smellin stuff. Pretty much used all of the one recipe on the thing with a touch left over to recoat any areas after I put on the pot if needed.[p]The last butt I did I used hickory chunks for smoke and I'm looking for some suggestions on what other types of smoke people like with their pork. I have some cherry and peccan at the house now. What all do you folks suggest? I like lots of smoke flavor.[p]Can't wait for dinner tomorrow. The first butt I did came out so good I could barely keep myself from eatin this thing last night while I put the run on![p]Thanks
Robert

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Robert,
    Pecan!!!! I have used hickory and pecan and like pecan the best.
    Fireball

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    Robert,
    Mesquite will definately give you a lot of smoke flavor and is one that I use the most for butts and brisket. It goes extremely well with my rub.

• Jimbo
    Jimbo Posts: 44
    Options
    Robert,[p]If you use BGE brand lump, then it doesn't really matter what you use, because at 200-250 degrees, all you'll taste is the hickore in the lump. I have used both mesquite and Jack Daniels with *some* smoke tast over and above the hickory, but hickory is just overpowering.[p]When I use a lump that is nearly all oak scrap like Cowboy brand, I use other woods like maple and pecan. Oak is a much milder smoke (IMHO) and allows you the flexibility of using other hardwoods for flavor as well as lighter-tasting rubs.[p]Jimbo
  • BluesnBBQ
    Options
    Robert,[p]Lately I've been using a mixture of apple and hickory for pork (a couple of big apple chunks, and a couple of handfuls of hickory chips). It always turns out great with these woods.

• Thanks for the input folks!
    I'm using BGE Lump and given Jimbo's thoughts in the lump possibly being overpowering with hickory I'm going to toss in some cherry chips and see what happens. I'll save the peccan for another time when I might have some lump that may not be so strong.[p]I figure if the hickory in the lump is strong and block out the cherry I'll still be ok with the taste since I like hockory. Nothing like giving different stuff a try![p]Robert