Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Star Wars The Force Awakens discussion (SPOILERS)

cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited December 2015 in Off Topic
Alight fan boys, post your nerdy experience and feedback about the new flick here. Spoilers, theories and predictions are all welcome!
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited December 2015
    I'll start with.....I liked the movie, a lot.  

But I also liked it the first time I saw it, when it was titled "a new hope".  And I swear, if I have to watch another Death Star battle, I'm going to be very disappointed in their creative process.  7 movies, 3 Death Star battles. C'mon!

i think Rey is related to someone important.  She was "left" on a desert planet.  Seems like another young Jedi we've met before.

Disney de-canonized all of the extended universe after buying lucasfilm, but I'm fairly certain that Han and Leia had twins in what used to be official canon.  Not saying she's Leias daughter, but my mind is open to possibilities.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    My wife and I are convinced that she is Han and Leia's kid. 

And yes, it was definitely a lot of a remade Episode 4 - and that made me waffle back and forth between "disappointed because I've seen this before" and "they've recaptured the magic".   Ultimately, they won me over, I bought into it and enjoyed it immensely. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Jake loved it. I thought it was OK. A lot of the same thing. 6 sequels is a lot. The best part is the end when Skywalker turns and pulls his hood down. Jacob and I talked about all the important times when a jedi or sith lord always removed their hood. 1-10, a 7. To today's younger generation I'm sure it's a 10. 

Hard to believe the first one came out in 77. Harrison Ford is 73 now. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    "To today's younger generation I'm sure it's a 10. "

@henapple, I didn't realize that I am that much younger than you...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    It was basically in some ways a remake of the first...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I think it is to be expected that this episode will continue w. some of the characters and themes of the earlier ones. Certainly makes for killer nostalgia for me, who saw "Star Wars" 7 times in 6 weeks in a year long ago and far away.

The original was mind blowing because it blended Flash Gordon action with 2001:Space Odyssey technique. Just about everything thereafter stands in that shadow, including Force Awakens. So, this episode can't be #1 in the series

Ren is a great character, and well played. All the new players do a good job. The old ones too, but Han gets the best scenes.

FWIW, my 21 month old grandson can say "Chewbaca."

The emotional twists and turns are comparable to ESB, but this episode is clearly a set up for the next. Hasn't beat ESB, but the next one might.

Who is Ren's relations? My bet is not Han and Leia.
  • Total reboot of the first (4th). That a good thing. Rollicking, suspenseful, funny, emotional. What else could you ask for?  That's entertainment. 

And how about that Daniel Craig cameo?!  The Prince and I stayed to the very last credit and saw his name scroll by. Wha??  Got home and looked it up. Too funny.  

The Han-Ben scene was a bit thin, maybe. Til Harrison Ford finally got his wish to be done with the series forever. That was intense. But the lead up was a bit light. 

I am SO glad I avoided all media, never even saw a trailer. I went in totally clean and was richly rewarded. Can't wait to see it again. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • I thought it was good not great. Yet another Death Star battle, needed more light saber battles. 

Our theory:  Rey is definitely from the Skywalker bloodline. Here's my argument for her being Luke's daughter. 

1.  Left in the desert
    2. Luke's light saber called out to her
    3. When Ren was in her head, she pictures an ocean and island. Where did she find Luke?
    4.  He never took the light saber from her and we think she will inherit it as his trainee. 

Another question: the she creature who ran the tavern. She was very Yoda like in structure although you couldn't see her ears. So, does she become a central character?

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    First off, this was the first movie I had seen in a theatre since Jurassic Park (the original).  Was it 1995?  Not really into sitting through a whole movie at once--hard to turn off my phone & SurfacePro and not multitask, but this was a special occasion.  Plus, I was convinced some crazy was going to take the opportunity to shoot up a theatre this weekend.......but I reserved a good seat with cover & quick escape, had on level II body armor, amoung other things. 

I thought it was pretty good.  Definitely had a different feel to it, which was not necessarily a bad thing.  JJ Abrams had the world on his shoulders for this and wasn't going to please everyone.  I think he did a good job.  It felt like this movie was just that--a reboot--tying up loose ends and setting the stage for the next two movies.  That was my only complaint, it left things very open ended which I wasn't prepared for.

Either way, it blew the prequals away.  The first one ruined the series, but by the third one, I think he got everyone back in and saved face.  Even though a lot of the actors and characters sucked, I thought those felt a lot more like the original series than the new one did.

In the end, like any media, it was about money.  Yeah, it got all of us from the originals there (which it was whether or not it sucked.)  This was 100% about capturing the new audience and creating a legacy of sales for the next generation.  The toys, clothes, Lego's, etc that my kids want is where the money is.  My kids have no desire to see previous six Star Wars movies, but the they sure do want all the toys and to see the new one.  To quote Mel Brooks as "Yogurt" in Space Balls......."Merchandising, Merchandising!  Where the real money in the movie is made!!!"
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Saw it last week and loved it.  It was very true to the original Star Wars (IV) but with modern special effects and humor.  Interestingly, though, when the original SW came out, we had seen nothing like it before in terms of special effects.  At least nothing I remembered as a kid.  This one did not seem to unveil any new special effect techniques.  In that regard it was similar to other movies we see today.

Did you guys see it in 3D or regular?  I'm really getting sick of studios feeling that they need to release every special effects movie in 3D.  I just never watch it and think the movie is better off for it.  In fact, when I saw Avatar, there was actual more onscreen content in the standard version than the 3D!  (the 3D was cropped a little closer you missed some on screen text and details).

So, I saw this movie in both versions.  I saw it in 3D first only because that was the showtime playing when I was free.  As usual, I thought the glasses darkened the experience, but I quickly got used to it and forgot about them.  I only remember TWO scenes when the 3D had a noticeable effect on my experience-  1) opening scene where Rey is descending via rope into the old ship and 2) point of gigantic starship protruding into theatre.

As I was leaving the theater I walked into a standard (non-3D) showing and watched 30 minutes of the movie I just saw.  Much better!  Brighter and you noticed significantly more detail everyhwere.  The characters faces in particular.  The 3D effect must soften much of that.  In short, the definition was significantly better in the standard.

Neither takes away from a great movie.  See whatever showing you can get a ticket for, but if you have the option, skip the 3D.  What a waste of effort.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • djbade
    djbade Posts: 10
    edited December 2015
    I thought it was good not great. Yet another Death Star battle, needed more light saber battles. 

Our theory:  Rey is definitely from the Skywalker bloodline. Here's my argument for her being Luke's daughter. 

1.  Left in the desert
    2. Luke's light saber called out to her
    3. When Ren was in her head, she pictures an ocean and island. Where did she find Luke?
    4.  He never took the light saber from her and we think she will inherit it as his trainee. 

Another question: the she creature who ran the tavern. She was very Yoda like in structure although you couldn't see her ears. So, does she become a central character?

Agree on every point.  As we left the theater, we were discussing the movie (away from the people waiting in line) and we all had these thoughts. 

I really enjoyed it the movie, got goosebumps when Rey used the force to draw the lightsaber to her and more goosebumps at the final scene.  

Did anybody else notice the tears that Luke had when he saw Rey?

But that one scene on the bridge in the "death star" just hurt so bad... Han!!!
    Kirkland (Montreal), Quebec, Canada
  • @stlcharcoal
    And Mel Brooks is seriously finally trying to get Spaceballs 2:  The Search for More Money off the ground.

For me because I too, felt like I'd seen this film before.  While watching I enjoyed it til they gave me a 3rd dam Death Star, then I started to pick it apart

2.5/5 stars
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    edited December 2015
    I fall into the same "feels like i've been here before" camp. That being said I think if they were looking to reboot this franchise, they did an excellent job of doing so. Think of how many Spider Man or Superman reboots where they retell the origins? They were able to reboot without any of that.

They are setting a very full table that can go in many different directions. I really enjoyed the new characters and maybe could have done with a little less of the old ones? (heresy?) Hopefully they can get away from the death star type weapons as I mean how many f***ing times would you try and build these big ass weapons knowing they are going to get blown up?

One thing that some have mentioned that I will also put in here is that this movie does a great job of bringing the little ones in, the next generation of Star Wars geeks. My 7 and 5 year old loved it. My 5 year old hasn't sat through a movie in his life, he sat still through all of this one and his favorite part was "all of it".

jonnymack's alone in a theater rating: 7/10
    jonnymack compares this to the other crap he sits in a theater for with his kids rating: 10/10
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    This fanboy's thoughts:

Yes, it's a reboot of New Hope. Done for a reason I think, to draw in new fans, give a familiar story. If they re-do the other two movies in the OT like this, I'll be a little disappointed. 

Vader is my favorite character in the SW universe (if you couldn't tell by my avatar) and I think Kylo Ren will provide an incredibly interesting character to watch as he grows. I hope they show Snoke (who has GOT to be a sith of some sort, I mean come on.) just break him and make him go full on bad, no more of this internal conflict. Star Wars villains are always great to watch.

My Rey theory: I think she was a youngling who was training with Luke when Kylo went batsh!t. Then she was dropped off on Jakku in the far corner of the galaxy in hopes that she'd not be found, that's why the old man in the beginning had the map. It was an insurance policy saying "In case of emergency here's a map to luke, by the way this girl who is force sensitive lives here." I really hope she's not part of the Skywalker bloodline. We already have enough of that in this movie. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    In my above post I said "Ren" when I meant "Rey." D'oh

After trying out 3D w. the Hobbit, my wife and I decided that 2D was fine for The Force. 3D does add a bit, but in action scenes, it makes things harder to follow.

Talked w. my elder son about it. He might have seen some of the original trilogy on VHS, so he was not much impressed w. the originals effects. Did like their story line. We agreed that we couldn't see how CG could improve so much that the surprise would be as big as it initially was.

We did joke that when the Supreme Commander appears "in the flesh," it would be funny if he was a tiny Yoda sized creature, just evil.

Given that the series (I hate the term "franchise") is based around Joseph Cambell's archetypal hero, the story line will probably always be somewhat similar.

Liked the imagery when the gulf opened between Rey and Kylo.
  • lewisj82
    After Han got killed my first thought wasn't "Poor Leia", it was "Poor Chewie"

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    gdenby said:
    We did joke that when the Supreme Commander appears "in the flesh," it would be funny if he was a tiny Yoda sized creature, just evil.
    I hadn't thought of that.  That'd be funny.  Like Spaceballs coming to life!

Yes, it did definitely play as a reboot of IV but strangely, I didn't mind.

I was very impressed with Han Solo.  I saw an interview with Harrison Ford and he seemed his age, understandably, and a bit out of it.  So I was hoping he'd still look focused for the role, and it was great!   Maybe I caught him after a long night of Flockhart sex. 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • lewisj82 said:
    After Han got killed my first thought wasn't "Poor Leia", it was "Poor Chewie"
    Chewie went apeshit. That was awesome. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Finally watched it after 3 days of watching the previous films in Machete Order. 

We really enjoyed the film!  Seeing another Death Star was a lil surprising and not very creative.

Initially, when Rey and Han were completing each other's sentences, I thought she was Han's daughter.  At the conclusion with all the hints, it is incredibly obvious that she will eventually say, "Luuuuuuke, you are my father"
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    My  wife and I seen it in a AMC Prime theater which we like for big release films like this, because you get assigned seats that electronically recline and have sub woofers built into them.  That makes the experience a lot more enjoyable. We really liked it.  At first how it started I was kind of lost, but liked the storm trooper turned good and the story that he was taken from his family at a young age and forced to be part of the First Order.  That sounds like a cult more the something evil.  I liked ray and it was very much like number VI so I agree that I think Rey is Luke's daughter.  I was bummed when Han died or did he?  I liked how it set it up for another one and now I want to see it already.  Are 6 year old son wants to see it and we told him we have to it first to make sure it is ok and we feel it is fine for him especially since he seen episodes I through V.  Haven't let him see VI,  but I think he may be ready for it.  It also gives me a reason to see it again its just the kid normally has to go to the bathroom right before the movie is over.  Not sure I want to spend $16 for the little guy to see it so we will be waiting a little to take him.  Probably over Christmas break. 

I have heard that they are going to make a movie about Han's earlier life.  Found this on the internet.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Untitled_Han_Solo_Anthology_film
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lewisj82
    edited December 2015
    They are going to put "Anthology" movies between the main saga films. Everything is mapped between now and 2020:

2016 - SW - Rogue One (going to be about rebels stealing plans to the first Death Star)

2017 - Ep 8 (to be released very close to the 40th anniversary of ep 4)
    2018- Han Solo Movie
    2019 - Ep 9
    2020 - Another anthology movie, rumored to be about Boba Fett

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Wha?  There's a new star wars film?!

The movie was missing a soul a little bit I think.  It felt focus-group tested.  

Hopefully now that this is done they will begin to take the series in some new directions, but I have to admit that after seeing the latest, I'm a little pessimistic.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited December 2015
    Wife and I saw it just after Christmas.  It's an entertaining movie, but I had much higher expectations.  So much of the plot a carbon copy of New Hope - bordering on ridiculous.  

Hopefully now that this is done they will begin to take the series in some new directions, but I have to admit that after seeing the latest, I'm a little pessimistic.  
    I saw it on Saturday and this is my exact thought as well.  A remake of New Hope and Disney has launched upon us their next princess to market the shiznit out of in Rey.  The whole movie had this deja vu feeling.  
    I thought Ren's character was horrible.   Such a patsy.  
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• YEMTrey said:
    Wife and I saw it just after Christmas.  It's an entertaining movie, but I had much higher expectations.  So much of the plot a carbon copy of New Hope - bordering on ridiculous.  

I saw it on Saturday and this is my exact thought as well.  A remake of New Hope and Disney has launched upon us their next princess to market the shiznit out of in Rey.  The whole movie had this deja vu feeling.  
    Agreed.  A lot of it just feels like a set up for what's to come, and that it's all fairly predictable.   
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    YEMTrey said:

Agreed.  A lot of it just feels like a set up for what's to come, and that it's all fairly predictable.   
    Thought the same thing, but my expectations were set way too high (with all the hype, I don't think that's my fault.)

Disney didn't buy LucasFilms to keep it going, they bought it because they knew they could make some freakin' bank.  Look at all the other Disney movies lately--they are absolute gold mines with all the toys, clothes, music, etc.  My kids haven't seen or give a crap about the movie, but they somehow know all the characters and want the cereal, pajamas, video games, etc.  Same goes for Star Wars......blows my mind how much they know about it, yet have never seen any of the movies.

This is 100% about Disney developing their new brand.  Good for them, wish I had a piece of it.  Maybe we can do some brand placement with charcoal to burn Kylo Ren body in a future film like Luke did with Darth Vador.
  • @stlcharcoal - of course that aspect is there, no doubt.  I just think JJ Abrams has a lot more talent than was on display in that production.  
  • msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    i thought the movie was enjoyable but not spectacular.  

I think JJ played it safe with a lot of re-tread material to pull fans back in after the horrific prequels.

overall, the new movie is the 4th best, behind the original three and ahead of the prequels.

personally, I didn't need Solo to die.....I know that Harrison Ford has always wanted his character to die and killing him off may have been part of the reason why he agreed to come back......but with that said, I just think Star Wars is the kind of movie and franchise where having Luke, Leia, Han, Chewy, R2 and C3PO living until the end just makes it better.

The one thing i do truly appreciate in how it was filmed was that they kept the action scenes moving at a pace that I could actually somewhat follow what was happening.....I hate when these newer movies think they are being great by having so much taking place within a scene and because of CGI, things are moving so quickly that you can't even tell who or what you are watching.

it was also nice to see the light saber fight look more realistic and less like a video game with them jumping into the air and do 25 flips crazy stuff like that.

overall, I give the new movie a 7 out of 10.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!