Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE For Sale

Options
I am helping my buddy sell his sister's egg. They are going through really hard times and don't use it.
It appears to be from mid-2000's. It is in good shape with only a cracked firebox. We cleaned it out and fired it up last night and it burns clean with no leaks and the fire snuffed out without any problems.
It is a large, with the plate setter, ceramic feet and a table.
They are asking $1000 for the entire setup. That seems reasonable based on the condition and what is included.
I'm going to help them post it on CL this afternoon, but wanted to give the forum a chance first.

I've included some pictures and if you are interested, please contact me. Also, if you think we're crazy asking $1000, please let me know based on personal experience what might be more reasonable.

We are in Memphis, TN.

Thank you!!

Daniel

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    They should warranty the firebox before they list it, next owner won't be able to and it will help with them maximize their price.

Personally, I think that's too high by a few hundred.  $700 maybe?
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,625
    Options
    and if you're going CL, consider doing a clean burn and wire brush it a bit on the inside.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,894
    Options
    $1k? Don't think so. $600 to $700 tops. Without the warranty the buyer is assuming the full cost of replacement parts which WILL happen.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    with the table included, i don't think $1,000 is totally out of line.  worth trying for at least, and they can always accept a lower offer if they choose.
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Price is way to high for the current condition.

in my opinion. To maximize the money. I would replace the fire box. And put some fresh again on the table. Then maybe you could get 8 to 900 if someone was dying to have it
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I think $500 would be the max I'd pay for a damaged egg with no warranty even with a table.  Hope you do well.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,086
    Options
    Honestly, the egg is probably not the ideal item to sell in hard times.  Their value is, at best, 1/2 of new.  The warranty is the value.

Hope their situation improves.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • KingtUT
    KingtUT Posts: 157
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Somebody done told you wrong.  If you get $400-$500 you should deliver it and set it up for them.  Lol.   My guess would be 3-4 hundred, tops.  Good luck.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    People are in buying mode right now. I could see someone handing over $600 - $700 for it. I'd also make that warranty claim on the firebox. Hoping for better times ahead for your friends! :)

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I honestly hope you prove me wrong on this but I must agree with @KingtUT in the condition its in I would have to guess $400. tops 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • zosobao5150
    Options
    In current condition = 600 minus cost of a new firebox and grate. You can probably get those parts replaced for free, but if you don't, buyer has to assume the cost.
    XL BGE
  • busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I paid $300 for my used with pretty much all the same accessories. Table was in same condition. Egg was almost perfect (no cracks, no firebox cracks etc). I would never pay $300 again. I am now dealing ith a cracked egg and have no way to replace it under warranty. But, for $300, it has treated me well for 4 years.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Sorry your friends are having trouble, but that's far too much... on here especially. And for an egg with no warranty. We are pretty knowledgeable, and a picky bunch! :) But even on CL, it's still too much.

A clean burn is definitely needed as is warranty replacement of the fire box (and whatever other cracked parts they discover after the burn gets rid of the crud). Assuming they have a warranty. Also, I think a quick exterior wash with Simple Green or Dawn would help. Oh, and clean the grid! I would suggest cleaning it separately, not leaving it in the egg for the clean burn.

For reference, Eggfest pricing for a large with nest (and WARRANTY) is usually around $800. No idea what those tables go for, but that one looks pretty tired.

Obviously, winter is not the best time to sell any grill. If they can wait, I'm sure they would find more interest in warmer months. I wish them the best.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Table is irrelevant imho.  $1k is way too much. I would ask $700 and settle for $500 if it were me.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • egghead43
    Options
    The large egg with those accessories is about $800 new. That table adds a little value, but looks pretty rough. I think you'd do well to get $500 out of that entire setup.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    $750 for a 5 hour used Demo with warranty at most EggFests. Table not a big add. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I am hoping your friends will have better times ahead. $1000.00 is much too high for a mid 2000's LBGE. No warranty, cracked firebox, don't help the value, it really diminishes what people would expect to pay. If they get $500.00 out of it they will be very fortunate, I am sorry to say. I am thinking list it as is for $500.00 and if you get anywhere close to $300.00 take it.
    You are a good friend trying to help them out. I really hope things change for the better for your friends.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • MemRubes
    Options
    Thank you for all the feedback! Please keep it coming. I am going to recommend the clean burn and doing the warranty replacement. Thanks!!
  • MemRubes
    Options
    Oh, and dropping the price considerably!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Hi Daniel- sucks that they need to movie it but hopefully things will turn around for them. I helped a lady in a tough spot a few years ago who's husband had died and she wanted to sell one. It was in primo shape and came with a bunch of accessories and cast iron cookware. She got $500 for it and I think that was a fair price. Everyone on here knows what the warranty is worth but people on craigslist may not. I think if you ask people on here, $1000 seems very high. I would be surprised if you get anywhere near that on craigslist as well but you may find that right person that is the perfect fit. No harm in asking. If I were you, I would definitely replace the firebox if it's covered by the warranty (if they bought it new from a certified dealer). If it were cleaned up and in perfect working order I would say you should be happy to get $500-$600 for it. I bought a 4 hour old demo from mickeys fest for $750 with nest, Platesetter, ash tool, and a  bag o lump. I even stole 2 more bags of lump when the man was not watching. All that and It has the warranty which I have use many times over 10 years on my first egg. 

Hope you get what you are after for it. Just offering an educated opinion so you may come out ahead in your area. And it is Christmas so someone may be feeling froggy and just  buy it from you. 

Good luck. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • egghead43
    Options
    The cast iron grate also needs replacing.  A new grate and replaced firebox would really help visually.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Way too high.  I didn't pay much more than that for a new large with nest and composite mates
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I would get the firebox replaced under warranty for sure and then list at $700. You will get $600 plus on CL. I have bought and sold 10 plus eggs on CL and people pay much more there than people here would pay. I sold an older large like that with a nest and platesetter for $650 not long ago and I am in GA where they are everywhere and cheaper than most places. For the clean burn I would take it up to 500 and let it sit for 2 hours or so then wire brush th einside. Don't run it up to 750 and fry the gasket and crack the egg when they are trying to get rid of it. People are posting prices where they would go get them cause they know about the deals but there are many people that go to the other stores where the large egg alone is $1000 then they see this for $650 or so and its a deal to them. A small farmers market by me had the large egg with nest and shelves priced at over $1200 last time I looked but then 10 miles down the road its $850. The average person doesn't know to drive down the road.