Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Pizza Results, But Feeling Stupid

Options
Very pleased with my pizzas tonight, and the crusts were some of the best I've done...but I didn't do anything different, it was my regular recipe: the straight same day dough from Flour Water Salt Yeast. My last couple of breads had been subpar and my wife suggested I check the expiration date on the yeast. It wasn't even close to expiring but I got a new bottle and wow, what a difference!  Rose much faster and much better, gassier dough. From now one I'll get a new bottle every six months or so regardless, way too much effort goes into bread and pizza to risk it. 

Cooked four pizzas, all at 500-525 dome. 

First up: my favorite, olive oil, garlic, little bit of white pizzas cheese mix; topped (after cooking) with prosciutto, arugula, fresh tomatoes. 

Second: homemade red sauce, cheese, pepperoni 

Third: mozzarella, homemade red sauce, basil, pepperoni. 

The family loves pizza night, and it is a fun cook. Thanks for looking. 

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    We are doing pizza night too. Thanks for the heads up on the yeast. Never would have thought about that. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Great looking pies by the way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jarc
    jarc Posts: 241
    Options
    Nice job, looks tasty.

LBGE

Misplaced Cajun-----Blytheville, AR

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    for what it's worth, I have been doing a lot of bread baking lately, and I always proof the yeast first, make sure it's frothy and active then proceed with whichever recipe I'm doing.  I have seen many of the "dump everything in" so-called "easy" recipes, but you don't know if the yeast is good until too late.  Just my personal observations
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Spectacular work! Yum!
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    You nailed them...  I love the classic pepperoni!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Good idea @rmr62, what's your method to quickly proof the yeast?
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    What's not to love about pizza night at your house?  Great looking pies!

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Nice pizzas! Seeing the good browning on top, do you cook them raised up in the dome?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • CPARKTX
    Options
    @SciAggie - no, not high at all...plate setter legs up, factory grate, a set of "feet", then the pizza stone. I do try to make sure to let the egg really stabilize at temp though. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Great looking pies brother!  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice. 

I'm having trouble with "oven spring" for bread I've been baking. My yeast is only a few months old,  but maybe a new bottle will solve my problem too. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    @rmr62 I know lots of recipes say you don't have to proof the yeast but I do it too. I put mine in 100-110 degree water with a pinch of sugar, stir, and make sure the little yeasties are doing their thing. 

And I stopped buying the big square bags of yeast... The little glass jars are plenty for me 

MAN those pizzas look fantastic!!! 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Now that's a nice pizza pie! 
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I don't even buy the jars anymore. I pick up a couple of the little paper packets when needed. Then I know it's not too old.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I would have never thought of that. Ever.
    great pizzas my friend, beautiful presentation.
    Merry Christmas.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    Options
    Buy instant, not active, yeast and keep it in the freezer. Will last for years.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    You guys are wearing me down!  I may have to make my own dough when I have some time over the holidays....   

Pizzas look great and thanks for the yeast tip.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Dude, those look insanely good. Great work, thanks for an inspiring post!

My last few attempts at pizza have been just above dismal, but I think it's time to give it another go! Can you give a few more details on your set up?

500-525 dome, right? Where are you cooking in the egg? Direct or indirect? Stone? I can make some assumptions but so far that hasn't panned out for me too well...

cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Where were you keeping your yeast?  I store a small amount in the frig and bulk supply in the freezer (vacuum sealed).  Room temp yeast will not last that long.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• CPARKTX
    edited December 2015
    Options

@Black_Badger -- here is my setup, I am now getting consistently good results.  Probably nothing special about this, it is just what works for me. 

I go plate setter legs up, then the factory grate, then three of the BGE ceramic "feet", then the pizza stone.  I try to align the ceramic feet with the legs of the plate setter. 

I make sure to REALLY let the egg stabilize at temperature...you don't want the air temperature to be much hotter than the stone or the toppings cook before the dough. I light my fire 90 - 120 minutes before I plan to put the pizzas on. 

While cooking the pizzas, I try to keep the lid open as little as possible, and I reduce the lower grate as needed to keep the temperature from spiking too much...with this approach I don't have any problem doing 4 - 5 pizzas (most I've done) in a row.

I find that around 500 - 550 dome temperature does a good job and is pretty forgiving...and I end up with all my arm hair.  I've gone hotter, sometimes it works great, but not as consistently. 

I always use parchment paper, otherwise once the dough has toppings I find I can't move it. I usually remove the parchment after about a minute or two, but it isn't critical.  I do at least trim the excess paper so it doesn't stick out much beyond the edges of the pizza.

Don't give up, it is a fun cook once you find what works for you.

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    sorry about delayed response, but my proofing method is very similar to blind99 above
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE