Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago deep dish at the source

Options
Going to Chicago for a few days for work. If you had to pick one place to get deep dish pizza, which place would it be?
SE PA
XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Giordano's is mt favorited, followed up closely by Lou Malnati's.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    My vote is for Pizzaria Uno, on 29 East Ohio.  Giordano's second, on West Belmont.  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jcacavias
    Options
    Malnati's.  The wife and I were there a few weeks go.  Make sure you get the butter crust!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Pequods.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Smokinpig
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Pequods.
    +1

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• A_Smalltown_Egg
    Options
    It is hard to go wrong with any of these suggestions.  My personal favorite for deep dish (I go elsewhere for a thin crust) is Lou Malnati's.  We tried them all when we lived in Chicago and Malnati's wins out.  Pequod's was a second.  I have suggested Malnati's to many friends visiting Chicago and they all end up raving about it.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a Gino Malnati's fan myself.....but think you would be happy with any of those listed above. While there.....and if you are in the burbs.....get yourself an Italian Beef and pork combo (with peppers) sammy from Portillo's. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • redharley13
    Options
    Agree with the above - all pizza was good but I still think about that italian beef from portillo's.  That would have me coming back for sure.

• Roadpuke0
    Options
    Agree with the above - all pizza was good but I still think about that italian beef from portillo's.  That would have me coming back for sure.

Go to there web site. PortIllos has beef packages that they ship right to your door. I'm a little spoiled. There is one 2 miles from my house in gurnee. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    Geno's East
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • Dos_Eggys
    Options
    Malanati's. Handsdown.
    KAB, DOT, Grill Grates, Smokeware Cap
    Picnic Shoulder Addict - Huntley, IL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    tgs2401 said:
    Geno's East
    You can bring in your own 6 pack of beer
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You can mail order Malnatis.  It's very good.  Not Uno's or Giordano's.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Bee
    Bee Posts: 2
    Options
    Go to Pequod's, then go there again! It's all about the blackened crust. 
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    Going to Chicago for a few days for work. If you had to pick one place to get deep dish pizza, which place would it be?
    Not quite "Chicago style", but "Chicago pizza and oven grinder" has a pie you can't get anywhere else.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    1) Lou Malnati's
    2) Geno's East
    3) Giordano's
    Near the bottom of the list) Pizzeria Uno

Haven't been to Pequods yet, next on the list to try.

B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    1) Lou Malnati's
    2) Geno's East
    3) Giordano's
    Near the bottom of the list) Pizzeria Uno

Haven't been to Pequods yet, next on the list to try.

B_B
    I second that list
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    Pequods.
    +2 For Pequods, especially the Morton Grove location!
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE
  • pescadorzih
    Options
    Well, went to Lou Malnati's tonight. Had the Chicago Classic with the "buttercrust".
    It was good.  I thought the sausage would have a little more spice to it.

SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Bobh83
    Bobh83 Posts: 25
    Options
    There are some Geno's East locations around Houston here in Texas.  Anyone know if it is for sure the same place, and if so is the taste the same or at least close?  I always pass them up, assumed it was just a name not legit pizza.
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    According to their website, it's the real deal.
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • GaryLange
    Options
    When I go to the Chicago area it is always certain that that night we will be at Giordano's for the Stuffed Pizza. I have had Lou Malnati's and frankly I was disappointed in it. may have just been where the store was.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    I would agree Giordano's!  Also you can have one or more shipped right to your door.  We did this for our daughter when she was a freshman in college during her first exams.   They are mostly cooked, you just need to add the cheese and bake.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Bobh83 said:
    There are some Geno's East locations around Houston here in Texas.  Anyone know if it is for sure the same place, and if so is the taste the same or at least close?  I always pass them up, assumed it was just a name not legit pizza.
    @Bobh83, we also have one in San Antonio. Yes, it is the real deal. It's very subjective, but it strikes me as 90-95% as good as when I have had it in Chicago. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• MarkR7
    Options
    Malnati's all the way!
  • Vegas Eggus
    Options
    For something slightly different I really like Nancy's on Broadway. Specifically their spinach. Been there forever.  I lived about a bock away at one time and had many a single slice for dinner. One slice usually enough unles you are really hungry. 
  • SmokeMyBitchUp
    Options
    Pequods is far and away the best...  I go to giordano's because it is a block away to get thin crust but their deep dish is just two layers of premade thin crust dough and i recommend against it.  Lou's is very good and if you are on the north side, Art of Pizza on Ashland is good, but its pretty close to Pequod's so just go there.