Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish on the egg ... how do you do yours?

Well, it's that time of year where I have to lose some weight, and when it's time to lose weight grilled white fish is always my go to.  It's low carb, low calorie, and low fat while being high in protein.  Done right, it can be pretty darn tasty.  I usually grill mine on a fish basket kind of thing and then top it with a side of spicy pico de gallo.

What I really prefer is for my fish to have a tiny bit of a char or crunch to it, kind of like what you find in fish tacos.  I can't add breading or crumbs due to the carbs, and I know the slight crunch can be achieved without it.  What approach do you guys take? Direct on a raised grid? Indirect? Flip or no flip? What temp? What fish do you prefer? I usually do skinless cod or skinless Mahi Mahi.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks
Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia

Comments

• Tried cod on a cedar plank last night, salt and pepper and a bit of butter.  It wasn't very good.  Cedar Planked Salmon on the other hand, wow!! 

Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Here is what I used.  Best salmon I have ever had and first time Cedar Planking. http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/cedar-planked-salmon/ 
    Large, Medium, Mini, and Mini Max, a few too many accessories, 2 kids, 1 dog, and original wife.  Lover of winter, powdery snow, and lots of golf.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Rub a bit of oil onto the fish and it will help with browning. Sugar helps too, but as you already mentioned, carbs...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    If you liked charred fish and are trying to watch carbs/calories, try blackening in a dry pan. The results are outstanding for certain species. You can season any way you like to fit your dietary needs. Redfish and catfish lends there-self very well to the blackening method. For the record and clarity, I neither watch carbs nor count calories. Just wanted to clear that up my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited December 2015
    do what scottie says. I sous vide my fish for 20 min then hard sear on one side. You can do this on a lowered grid or cast iron sklillet in your egg if you want but sous vide and a hot pan is perfect for fish. If you don't have a sous vide set up you can just use hot tap water for 20 min or so. perfect every time.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • En papillote works the bomb for skinless fish and shellfish.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Planked is my #1 choice for now.     Like THIS:  A complete meal off the Egg.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

• Cedar plank salmon. 
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    @Hub  " I usually do skinless cod or skinless Mahi Mahi." You say?

I catch a bunch of mahi every summer.
    I use the same rub every time.  Salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano, thyme, and  cayanne pepper to heat preference. Put 2-3 drops of oil and dust filet well. 

Then cook one of two ways:

If filet is thin, I use a Teflon pan and get it on medium high heat.  Put just a dap of olive oil in pan then cook fish. 

If thicker, cook direct over a hot but smaller fire. Make sure you oil the grates.

I lost 31 lbs in 3 months, and this was a regular standby meal.  Best of luck!  
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JDoubleH
    JDoubleH Posts: 112
    I have a wire veggie basket that line with hd foil. I do a thin layer of olive oil on the foil, dust my fish with DP Tsunami or Bayouish, maybe a squirt of fresh lemon. On egg 350 ish raised direct. No flip. Works well for mahi, tilapia, grouper, etc. Really gives you that crust you mentioned. Honestly, you could do basically the same thing in a cast iron. Sort of like panee. Delicious. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2015
    Hub said:
    What I really prefer is for my fish to have a tiny bit of a char or crunch to it...
    I love salmon! My favorite way to cook it is with a bit of s&p in a pre-heated cast iron skillet, a small amount of oil at about 4-450°. I start skin side up just to add a little color (not long) and then flip it for the duration. The skin and it's fatty layer insulate the fish so it doesn't cook too quickly while at the same time, the skin gets quite crispy. You don't have to serve it with the skin on if you have people who refuse to eat the skin, but it helps to cook it that way and remove the skin for serving. But then you miss the crispy bits!

I shoot for a finish temp of about 130-135°. A squeeze of fresh lemon and maybe some dill sauce and you're good to go.

This might be of interest...
    http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/06/how-to-cook-salmon-pan-fry-fish-food-lab.html

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Mickey said:

Hey, you didn't eat the heads. What's wrong with you ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Aubie1
    Aubie1 Posts: 436
    I enjoy cedar plank, grilled and blackened. Normally I will blacken Mahi Mahi or grouper and serve with fresh mango salsa. This photo is Mahi Mahi.

XL BGE and L BGE
  • Mickey

• onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Grilled Swordfish rocks!! as does salmon, cod, shark steaks 
  • Hub said:
    Well, it's that time of year where I have to lose some weight, and when it's time to lose weight grilled white fish is always my go to.  It's low carb, low calorie, and low fat while being high in protein.  Done right, it can be pretty darn tasty.  I usually grill mine on a fish basket kind of thing and then top it with a side of spicy pico de gallo.

What I really prefer is for my fish to have a tiny bit of a char or crunch to it, kind of like what you find in fish tacos.  I can't add breading or crumbs due to the carbs, and I know the slight crunch can be achieved without it.  What approach do you guys take? Direct on a raised grid? Indirect? Flip or no flip? What temp? What fish do you prefer? I usually do skinless cod or skinless Mahi Mahi.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.  Thanks
    Here is how my wife and I love it
     http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1187529/grilling-salmon-in-the-rain#latest

Ross
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    I usually use treated lumber (Sarcasm). After all these pictures I'm going to have to try it!
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    If you like the crust like me, then cast iron works best for me.  Either use a Cajun creole rub or your favorite rub.  I add a little bit of ghee (clarified butter) to the pan just before the fish.  When the crust is done, the fish will turn lose from the CI.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    if the fish is not big enough to properly filet, i.e., good meat would be left behind in the carcass, then I like to score the sides of the fish and grill almost whole.  In the slits I put garlic and butter.  i grill in either a fish basket or on foil with holes punched in it.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251

Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • bgebrent
    Whole fish and cedar planked are the egg's forte.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    On a bed of citrus.  This orange roughy was on lemons but I've done it with oranges too.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • bgebrent
    On a bed of citrus.  This orange roughy was on lemons but I've done it with oranges too.  

Nice Matt!  That looks great!