Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork Sammiches

Jethro
Jethro Posts: 495
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I’s thinking about doin’ some pulled pork sammiches. I am curious about what size butt or shoulder I would need to yield a dozen decent sized sammiches?[p]Your assistance is much appreciated.[p]Jethro

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Jethro,
    My guess is to go with a good 8-9 pounder. That'll probably cook down to 5 pounds. After removing the bone and any excess fat maybe you are at 4 pounds. That is 12 sammiches with 1/3 pound of meat each. [p]See what you have available. Two 6-7 pounders would be perfect (especially if some of the folks are big eaters)...and leftovers never go to waste.[p]Hope that helps.
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Jethro
    Nature Boy,[p]It sure do! Thanks a bunch, I've heard all the ravings about this and have been looking forward to trying it for a while.[p]Jethro
  • Jethro
    Nature Boy,[p]It sure do! Thanks a bunch, I've heard all the ravings about this and have been looking forward to trying it for a while.[p]Jethro
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Nature Boy,
    1/3 pd of PP for sammiches is sho a mighty small amount of meat. Got to get ya here in the "Heart of Dixie" and get you some hep on how to feed da Bubba's and Billy Bob's. hehehe.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    JJ,
    Dang. I done been all over the heart of Dixie, but I need to revisit and try the Q. I picked up that book BluesnBBQ was mentioning called "Smokestack Lightning — Adventures in the Heart of Barbecue Country". Makes some great reading, and talks about the Q and the people all thru the south (and elsewhere). Some of dem folks mean bizness.[p]Yeah 1/3 pound sammiches aint huge...so if it is a bunch of big guys at the party, he's gonna have to do 2 butts.
    Next time I get down towards Bama, I'll need you to show me how its done.
    Latah
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Q%20setup.jpg
    <p />Nature Boy,
    4 EGGs and a Chiminea waiting for ya.