Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilling pizzas

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A new task at hand for my father and I. Has anyone used their BGE to make pizzas? I tried a forum search, but it's all discombobulated. [p]I'm at a cross-road on wether or not to use a plain pizza stone, or a pizza pan. [p]Any help, even speculation would be wonderful.[p]~Mickey T's Son

Comments

• Mickey T's Son,Check with Spins recipe in recipe section

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    pizza2.jpg
    <p />Mickey T's Son,
    You gotta look in the recipes sections - there are LOTs of us doing pizza!!My website and GFW's has a lot of info on pizza's too.[p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's BGE website[/ul]
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Mickey T's Son,[p]Plenty of great info and pics are available on both GFW's and Tim's site and Spin is the forum's "King of Pizza". In just a few attempts, you'll be baking pies better than anything you can buy. [p]As a suggestion, try using a "boboli" shell and packaged sauce the first time around just to get a feel for the process, heat control, timing etc. When you start to feel froggy, do one from scratch.[p]K~G[p]phut.gif
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Mickey T's Son, check your email too. BTW K-G just posted the name of the "other" pre made which I couldn't think of though I personally like ROMA brand the best as it is thin.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    05_07_0018_40_01.jpg
    <p />Mickey T's Son, since Tim M showed one at the start, I'll show one ready to be sliced - great stuff! As per KennyG, Spin is the expert and his sauce recipe is the best. Good luck! :~}[p]
    [ul][li]BGE Pizza![/ul]
  • KennyG
    Options
    RRP,[p]Roma's eh? I'll have to try them. Thanks for the tip.[p]K~G
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    KennyG, Hiya , Are you serious when you say "you can make a pizza better than you can buy"[p]I mean "Dominoes" or "Pizzaville" are mighty fine pies!
    I will have to admit that the pies I have seen some of you have posted looked OUTSTANDING!
    Come to think of it , EVERYTHING I see posted here looks outstanding......
    Mop[p]

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mickey T's Son,[p]The difference between using a pizza pan or not is slight and the decision centers more on how "true" you want to be in making a charcoal fired hearth pizza. I have both and use the stone only (just my personal choice).[p]A pizza pan has the advantage of providing a convienent way to insert and remove the pie. A good pan is fine screened along the bottom to allow the moisture from the dough to escape, helping to avoid a soggy crust after the cool down of the finished pizza. A pie cooked in a pizza pan still requires a pizza stone to cook the pie on.[p]A pie cooked directly on a pizza stone requires a method of inserting and removing the pie. A pizza "peel" is a flat, wide, wooden "spatula" used for this purpose. The use of the peel is a quickly learned feel.[p]I encourage you and your Dad to make homemade gourmet pizza. As suggested below, start with a prepared pizza and move to making your own sauce. Play with your own toppings. Buy some dough from your local pizza joint and then attempt your own cook. The best is when you make your very own favorite pizza from scratch - dough, sauce, and toppings.[p]I see fun times ahead,
    Spin

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Mop,[p]The very best of the commercial pizza's are quite lame when compared to what you can make for yourself using the hearth baked flavor added to Egg pizza. Add to this the freshest of toppings, your most favored sauce, and your favorite dough for the pie. Commercial pizza's need to please the most people and turn a profit while doing it. You only need to please you and yours, and money is not in the equation.[p]Sorry, KennyG, I just couldn't resist on answering this one.[p]Spin[p]
  • Mop
    Mop Posts: 496
    Options
    Spin, hey, thanks for clearing that up for me.....
    I`m not doubting it as much as I was curious..
    I am a Huge pizza fan, I had it for lunch at work as a matter of fact.....I mean, If the Egg can crank out Pizzaria quality Pizza, as you say it exceeds that then it would be worth the purchase for that alone...
    Thanks again....
    Mop

• KennyG
    Options
    Spin,[p]I couldn't have said it better myself![p]K~G