Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking to Buy an Egg

Options
Hi all.  I am new to the forum.  I am currently stationed at Fort Benning, GA.  I am about to buy a BGE within the next couple of weeks.  I was wondering if prices are any better at the HQ store versus your average independent dealer?  I only live about an hour and a half from there and am debating if I want to make the drive thru Atlanta traffic as opposed to just picking it up at a local dealer here in Columbus.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Compare the prices at Roswell Hardware vs your local stores to see if it's worth making the trip up here. 

Welcome to the forum. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Welcome aboard
    Phoenix 
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Welcome.... You gonna have a ball..... 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited December 2015
    Options
    A friend on here found a good deal at a place on ptree ind Blvd. The Big Grill Shop. Suwanee. They are a legit dealer.   I got mine at ace.  HQ is necessarily retail, pretty sure.  ( except when they moved HQ and I snagged a large for the sasil at 25% off)

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    edited December 2015
    Options
    According to other forum members the prices at the HQ are roughly the same as other independent dealers. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Welcome!  Shop around as you can.  Have fun and keep your wallet near, you'll need it more than you can imagine.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Oh, and thank you for your service!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey-and +1 with @FlashkaBob - the entry fee is just the beginning.  But it is a great ride-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 3bailey3
    Options
    Get the largest one you can and enjoy
  • rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    Options
    I bought mine at "The Grill Outlet" on 2nd ave in Columbus, but that was 5 years ago.  I haven't been there lately to check prices, but 5 years ago I went back in there to ask a couple of "sort of" technical questions about the BGE as I was considering some accessories, and the guy just sort of scratched his head  and his response was "you sure will spend some money on that thing"----I realized then that he knew nothing so I thanked him and went on my way.  I got great info on this and the old forum, so I gleaned more that way regarding everything after the sell.
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • rmr62
    Options
    If you get up toward Auburn, Sikes is a retailer too, but last time I was there they seemed to be downsizing their egg stuff.  There are some others in the 30 mile or so radius so I would compare prices and make a few calls
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    You might want to ask if any dealers give a discount to active military personnel. I know some eggcessory suppliers do.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Options
    I shopped around the Atlanta area and the HQ was the most expensive.  I got my large from the Ace off Holcomb Bridge Rd in Alpharetta for $799.  That included nest, plate setter, ash tool, grate gripper and they came to my house and set it up.  Don't know if the gas justifies it but I'd recommend them all day every day.
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    They do not call it the $"BIG GREEN"$ egg for nothing. The cost to get in is the least  expensive part of the process. Staying in is the costly part. Welcome to the forum, and have fun.
    OCD Heaven is waiting for you.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  My first Egg was a large and I don't regret it. You do have options, so consider what you'll be cooking and the number of people you're cooking for.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    All the folks at HQ are awesome Eggers that said just think about the fact if they undersold the local dealers why would anyone want to be a dealer in the ATL area.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Ianb1122
    Options
    Thanks for all the input.  I pulled the trigger on it a couple days ago and got it from the Grill Outlet here locally in Columbus.  I love this thing.  Have done a smoked beer can chicken and a pork loin.  I am amazed at how easy temperature is to control on it.  Think I'm in love.
  • rmr62
    Options
    Ianb1122 said:
    Thanks for all the input.  I pulled the trigger on it a couple days ago and got it from the Grill Outlet here locally in Columbus.  I love this thing.  Have done a smoked beer can chicken and a pork loin.  I am amazed at how easy temperature is to control on it.  Think I'm in love.
    we all know that feeling!!!!  I quit doing the "beer can" chickens because everything off the egg is naturally juicy, so now I just do my rub and put on the grate.  On the old gasser, needed the moisture to offset the burners, but that's the beauty of the egg
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • rmr62
    Options
    and by the way, the Grill Outlet is a decent place, but they really didn't seem to have a wealth of knowledge of the egg back when I bought mine----this forum will be much better info for you---and ceramic grill store and other sources can get you better eggcessories
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Remember, go XL or stay home.... :):pig: 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Eggfest is always a good bet.   Get ready to have fun. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • kwdickert
    Options
    My dad got both his LBGE and my grandfather's LBGE (now mine) from the Grill Outlet in Columbus (my hometown) 10 or more years ago. Great place and good people. Can't comment on their prices. Glad they set you straight.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg