Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco prime brisket

Options
Just threw on a Costco prime at 4am for a Christmas party tonight. I'm gonna try not to over cook this one. I'm going 225 for the first 2 hours then 250 the rest of the way. I'm hoping it will it make it have better smoke ring. The rub was pickle juice with mustard, seasonall, garlic powder, salt and pepper. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
Greenville Tx

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Good luck, I'm sure it's going to be great. 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    Options
    I've got one on as well.  Put it on at 3:30am, took forever to get the egg dialed in at 225. Sometimes I think I may just buy a temp controller for it, then my wallet ( wife ) sees what I'm doing and well enough said. Would love to see how your cook goes, if I remember correctly you recently got a pit controller. 

• HondaHawk
    Options
    bought two more yesterday at 2.79/lb...are those prices consistent this time of year?
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    @ryantt yeah I just got the stoker in October. It makes all the difference. It's a older one. I got a good deal on it. Keep a eye out maybe you could find a deal. I'll  post pics no matter how it comes out. @HondaHawk  I think that's  what I paid. Walmart has choice for 1.97 had decent luck with them. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I used oak and cherry at 225F, for about 14 hours, and the smoke ring was very well defined. I have found it easier to do the heavy trim after the cook, or at least it works out that way for me. I have done the massive Franklin style trims previously and in a couple cases it was tender, but not as juicy as I would have liked. So I started removing less fat, and FPC longer. It turns out fantastic. If I do a typical Franklin style trim, I always have a better result with beef broth injections. I have done the fat side up and down, and the difference seems to be, on my XL, negligible. When I started doing brisket, it was very noticible on the short times to stand, were less juicy. I have gone as long as 6 hours, in the cooler (yeti) wrapped. The longer, the better, it seems with my cooks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    @ryantt 
    The Tip Top controller works quite well and is in the $30 range if I recall. It's not perfect but neither are the $400 controllers. I have a house positioned in a way that induces a lot of temp changes on the Egg due to changing wind currents and the TT really gets this under control for me. They do not work well in the rain however. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    This company has a great product for a very good price. It gives you peace of mind. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14_27
  • ryantt
    Options
    @bettysnephew I've seen it and if I remember correctly @RRP said it did a good job.  When I started my cook today at 2am, I had wind in all directions and snow coming down. I couldn't figure out how to position the egg to keep it from sucking in more air. Oh I guess I could have been outside fussing with the offset or UDS.  Once egg was on point it spiked a little mostly do to wind (guessing ). 

• ryantt
    Options
    @Tinyfish looks like a nice product.  Thanks for the info. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    texaswig said:
    Just threw on a Costco prime at 4am for a Christmas party tonight. I'm gonna try not to over cook this one. I'm going 225 for the first 2 hours then 250 the rest of the way. I'm hoping it will it make it have better smoke ring. The rub was pickle juice with mustard, seasonall, garlic powder, salt and pepper. 
    Pickle Juice?  Aweome!  Haven't heard that before but A) I love pickles and B) it always feels like a waste to dump that stuff out when the jar is empty.

Let us know how it comes out.  Your plan is solid, I'm sure you'll crush it.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    ryantt said:
    @Tinyfish looks like a nice product.  Thanks for the info. 
    I have only used mine for low and slow and it works great! A lot cheaper then the other products on the market. You won't be disappointed. 
  • texaswig
    Options
    Here's how it looks now. Just a little more to go. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • HDmstng
    HDmstng Posts: 192
    Options
    Did yours have a lot of fat on it?  I trimmed nearly 3 lbs off mine and it only started out at 9!  
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @texaswig  Good luck with  your cook

@yukonron  If you trim after cooking, don't you feel you're giving up bark?  Also, with your beef broth injection - are you injecting mid cook or just prior to the cook?  Thanks.
    Phoenix 
  • texaswig
    Options
    @HDmstngOh dang. I did cut a good amount off. It wasn't too bad. 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • YukonRon
    Options
    blasting said:
    @texaswig  Good luck with  your cook

@yukonron  If you trim after cooking, don't you feel you're giving up bark?  Also, with your beef broth injection - are you injecting mid cook or just prior to the cook?  Thanks.
    @blasting I understand the concern, but I have a tremendous amount of crust on the rest of the brisket that is not covered in fat. When I trim the fat prior to the cook, I don't saw it down as I have seen others do. I usually cut back the heavier areas after the cook, leaving plenty of crust. 
    Injecting broth starts prior to the cook, and when it gets to 160 IT, I inject again.
    Really depends on the brisket,  less than prime before and at 160IT, prime trimmed of most of the fat just at 160F IT. Prime properly trimmed, no injection.
    turbo cooks, before and 160F IT.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That's looks mighty fine. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Looking good.  I like to see those pockets of rendered fat on top of the brisket.  Usually that means that the brisket has good fat content and will be juicy.  You would expect that in a USDA prime cut.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @YukonRon  Thanks Ron - I appreciate the tip
    Phoenix 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
  • YukonRon
    Options
    texaswig said:
    My best one yet. It's not a looker. But she was good. 
    That is a mighty fine product right there my friend!!!!! Great job.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Looks really good to me.  Smoke rings are over rated.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Love it, wanted to make a brisket tomorrow but it's not looking like it's in the cards.

I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Damn. looks like you nailed it!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Don't know why you would say it's not a looker. I think it looks great.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Yumm!  :plus_one: 
    LBGE/Maryland