Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you like to see a hog butchered?

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @SGH, "standing by", when is this gonna be posted brother?
    I'm going to start killing at 2:00pm CST tomorrow. So it will be sometime tomorrow night before it gets posted my friend. Going to contact BGE and see how graphic of pics that they will allow without unleashing the buffalo. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Thank you @SGH.  The buffalo will be grazing in the field.  Thank you for sharing where our food comes from brother!  I look forward to the education.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • SGH
    Options
    @allsid
    Brother, the only thing that I have to shoot video with is my phone. I really need to get set up to start shooting videos. I have always wanted to do a "How To" series on butchering and breaking meat the old school way. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@SGH   If you do video, you'd better add some drama.  Hunger games style...

Seriously though, I do miss the big farm events I experienced growing up.  Butchering pigs and chickens, branding etc  I'm just a city slicker now.

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    @blasting, so now we have @SGH, one of the Thundergods favorites, helping us appreciate and remember, what us city slickers no longer do.  This I admire and look forward to, as I know do you!
  • SGH
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    so now we have @SGH, one of the Thundergods favorites, 
    You know, it's these animal sacrifices that keeps me in the good grace and favor of the Thunder Gods ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    Options
    @SGH, it is why the Thunder Gods smile on you.  It is because of the respect and dignity you have for the slaughtered animals that makes you one of the Thunder Gods very favorites!  As you should be brother.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options

Gordon Ramsey had a show years ago. He raised a couple of pigs. The pigs were sort of pets. Butchering an animal is brutal and his show showed it. It happens somewhat quick. The hog was raised by the rear legs and while hanging upside down their throat was slit open with a very sharp knife. They bleed out profusely and died in less than a minute. It's not a pretty picture.

I still remember chickens be slaughtered. Cut their heads off and the chicken runs and flops around while the chicken head is on the ground.

Post your video of slaughtering. I doubt I'll watch it. I'd rather not see what happen behind the scenes.

• FarmerTom
    Options
    If not too late, count me as a yes vote.  While i'm not offended in any way by the killing and gutting process, I don't particularly care to see that.  However, i would very much like to see the various cuts of meat, the muscle group/location they come from, and how you remove and process them.  Go for it  SGH, and thanks in advance.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    Count me as a yes.  Standing by!

Options
    Sound like this could've been an offshoot of the Brisket Camp @NOLA put together.  @SGH, do you have a periscope account so we can all see it go down live?  Will you be wearing your Hillary 2016 shirt?  That would be a great picture there, brother!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Grader07
    Grader07 Posts: 264
    Options
    I used to help a friend butcher hogs every year. 5 of them to be exact.  The age thing crept up on him as it always does and he couldnt do it anymore. That was years ago but remember it like yesterday.  All the good eats right outta the kettle....  Mmmm.  I vote for a yes SGH!
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    im interested in seeing the butchering, but less so the slaughtering.

A meat biology lesson is cool.  

Same

No Kill
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    @SGH Sounds like you already 'pulled the trigger on this' bring it on. Haven't done that in a couple years and interesrted to see someone who knows what their doing perform the task. 
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    :o Yes Please, to be on the safe side with the Mods just stick in the Off Topic warning!!!!!! That should keep ya out of the internet jail.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    im interested in seeing the butchering, but less so the slaughtering.

A meat biology lesson is cool.  

Same

No Kill
    I don't get this aversion to seeing start to finish what an animal gives us. An animal has to die. Let's not close our eyes and pretend that doesn't happen. Yes, it might not be pretty, but it is what happens so we can eat.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @DMW

Not pretending, just don't need to see it. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Will you be wearing your Hillary 2016 shirt?  
    @thetrim  I'm picturing Nola and SGH hanging out - Nola is rockin' the "Make America Great Again" hat and SGH in a Hillary T-Shirt.

That would make a great Christmas Card
    Phoenix 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    @SGH I say go for it. I'm 50/50 on the kill as to wether or not to offend anyone. Being from Iowa I have seen it 1000's of times so I won't be offended. Might get a few people to stop eating pork though...lol
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • tgs2401
    tgs2401 Posts: 423
    Options
    From what I have seen on this forum, I'm not sure asking Nola's advice on posting is a stellar idea  :o
    One large BGE in Louisville, KY.
  • kwdickert
    kwdickert Posts: 308
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I think hell yes. To be safe, add in the title, "Warning: Graphic Content". If that intrigues you and you go look at it, and then you get offended, you're stupid.
    Memphis TN - Large Green Egg
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,364
    Options
    Theres really no risk, what could happen - ban?
    If you got banned all of your minions would just get butt hurt and throw a fit getting you back. It just adds to forum status. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    We're all adults here. Assuming each person can read titles to threads...if it looks like something you're not interested in or could possibly offend you....don't open it. Seems pretty reasonable and logical to me. I hate this new "Is it PC world!". Break the cycle!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • loveTheEgg
    Options
    @DMW

Then don't watch it! Problem solved 
    Brandon, MS
  • THEBuckeye
    Options
    @DMW

Then don't watch it! Problem solved 
    Precisely

No biggie. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    I'd be very interested to watch! Yes from me. :peace: 
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • twelvebeer
    Options
    I vote yes. I don't want to see guts but I can fast forward that part.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    If @sgh gets banned for this, it would just add to the legend!
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    It's Friday... Who's already started drinking?
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,732
    Options
    Yes and I've helped kill hogs many times over the years.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va