Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Would you like to see a hog butchered?

Options

Comments

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH said:
    You know, I have heard several folks say that seeing the same old posts over and over is getting old. To be honest, I get tired of posting the same cooks over and over myself. With the above said, it brings me to my questions. Tomorrow I'm slaughtering 4 hogs for a older friend of mine. My two questions are: Would y'all like to see it? And would it be appropriate to post something like that on the forum? I know you can google or YouTube stuff like that, but was just curious if there was a interest to see it on the forum. And if it was even appropriate it. I spoke to both brothers Nola and Husker and they said to go for it. What say the rest of you? Yea or nay?
    Been there..Done that! It's not cold enough here to kill hogs. We killed hogs at Thanksgiving every year when I was a kid but, this year its like 65 this close to Christmas this year. I'm guessing you are going to sausage the hams and shoulders , keep the tenderloin. We always like whole hog sausage....nose, ears, tail, and balls...won't make you squeal any louder but, sure make you root harder! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    From the perspective of the owners of the site...you suppose they want the slaughter posted here?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    DMW said:
    You had better post it. Farm to table at it's best.

Know what you are eating folks, pork doesn't grow on trees.
    Now I'm devastated 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm a newbie compared to some of these guys
    You have been around much longer than I. If you really are Stike, I was reading your posts long before I actually joined the forum. Saw some pumpkins that you did that was insane. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    From the perspective of the owners of the site...you suppose they want the slaughter posted here?
    That's kind of what I was asking. Would it be appropriate?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Yes sir. 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    SGH said:
    I'm a newbie compared to some of these guys
    You have been around much longer than I. If you really are Stike, I was reading your posts long before I actually joined the forum. Saw some pumpkins that you did that was insane. 
    Stike=Smart Man
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Put me on the no side.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Let's do this! 
    Durham, NC
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Yes please

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1176771/spatchcock-pig#latest

Heck ya....I didn't post all of this one....but here we are shaving and burning the skin
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    SGH said:
    That's kind of what I was asking. Would it be appropriate?
    Send a PM to the mod that was on the Nola thread and ask?
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I'm thinking a periscope feed of the whole process seems like a stellar idea!
  • SGH
    Options
    piney said:
    Done that! It's not cold enough here to kill hogs. 
    I have been putting it off for weeks due to the heat. It has been still hitting the 80's some days. But look what rolled in tonight. I figure it's now or never my friend. Tomorrow will be cool and then the temp is shooting right back up. 

Status- Standing by.

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    piney said:
    SGH said:
    You know, I have heard several folks say that seeing the same old posts over and over is getting old. To be honest, I get tired of posting the same cooks over and over myself. With the above said, it brings me to my questions. Tomorrow I'm slaughtering 4 hogs for a older friend of mine. My two questions are: Would y'all like to see it? And would it be appropriate to post something like that on the forum? I know you can google or YouTube stuff like that, but was just curious if there was a interest to see it on the forum. And if it was even appropriate it. I spoke to both brothers Nola and Husker and they said to go for it. What say the rest of you? Yea or nay?
    Been there..Done that! It's not cold enough here to kill hogs. We killed hogs at Thanksgiving every year when I was a kid but, this year its like 65 this close to Christmas this year. I'm guessing you are going to sausage the hams and shoulders , keep the tenderloin. We always like whole hog sausage....nose, ears, tail, and balls...won't make you squeal any louder but, sure make you root harder! 
    This is why you're on my Christmas card list, Gary!
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Yes for me
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    Yes for me. It will bring back memories.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• Jcacavias
    Options
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Am I the only one hoping Babe was going to be on a spit at the end of the movie? =) Bring it!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SGH
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Am I the only one hoping Babe was going to be on a spit at the end of the movie? 
    No sir, you were not alone my friend =)

Status- Standing by.

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    Options
    i'll tune in!
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    I'll be on the lookout! There's a lot worse on the Internet (her name starts with an H). Just don't open the post if you don't wanna see it!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    I already voted with my qualified opinion as long as it isn't graphic, but the butchering of the gutted carcasses would be interesting. NOW for several dumb questions on my part. Are you doing all this by yourself? I would think 4 hogs would take some time from start to finish. Don't you bleed a hog after killing it? Surely you have a large processing area to do all this through the various stage needing santization.  Where will you be refrigerating 4 processed hogs? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SloppyJoe
    Options
    Just Do It!!!!!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Yes brother.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Omg you have to kill animals to get meat!!!!!   Nooooooo. Noooooo.  I kid of course.  It would be interesting for some to see the process, I would imagine.  Go for it I say. So if you can put me down for 10 yes votes I'd greatly appreciate it.   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    I already voted with my qualified opinion as long as it isn't graphic, but the butchering of the gutted carcasses would be interesting. NOW for several dumb questions on my part. Are you doing all this by yourself? I would think 4 hogs would take some time from start to finish. Don't you bleed a hog after killing it? Surely you have a large processing area to do all this through the various stage needing santization.  Where will you be refrigerating 4 processed hogs? 
    You are killing me Ron ;) But I will take a shot at a few of the above. Yes I'm bleeding them down the old school way. Hung upside down and the throat cut. I'm nowhere near as fast as I use to be, but I can still break a carcass down in near record time when compared to a novice. I can kill, bleed, gut and break the carcass down into primals in less than a hour by myself with just a big breaking knife, a medium breaking knife and a shank knife. With access to a saw, even faster. For now I'm only taking them down to primals, I will finish reducing them later when he decides what and how he wants the commodity cuts. And yes, I have access to several walk in freezers my friend. As far as sanitation, well let's just hope that the health department doesn't show up ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    You go @SGH!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    You absolutely need to post this!