Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect Heating. Whats it all about?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am new to smoking and have a new Egg. Love it and the site. I have learned alot, thanks to all. What is indirect heating or cooking? Can someone show pictures of the set up in the Egg. When do I use the indirect heating method? Sorry about being so inexperienced but I really want to learn. Nothing relaxes me more than to just sit outside, drink beer, and cook on the Egg. Looking forward to learning and hopefully someday being able to give out my own advise. Thanks again.

Comments

• Fireball
    Fireball Posts: 354
    Options
    Gentleman Jim,
    Welcome to the family. Remember that we were all new to the egg once upon a time. We all can learn something new. Go to the "links" on the Big Green Egg's home page, and double click on the link icon. Scroll down to either GFW or on one of the two Tim's pages a lot of answers are on these three sites. Just remember to ask if anything is not clear to you, and someone on the forum will be able to post the answer.
    Fireball

• Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    Gentleman Jim,
    Welcome, I was new and my learning curve has been a steep and fun one. Fireball's suggestions are the best place to start then come back to the forum to fine tune your technique.
    Carey

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Options
    bbac3.jpg
    <p />Gentleman Jim,
    The easiest way to get indirect heating is to add a drip pan under the food. What you are doing is putting a barrier between the food and the fire. The fire produces infrared radiation (the heat you feel from a glowing fire) and that will sear and burn meat because its only a few inches from the food. Adding a drip pan, firebricks, pizza pan, plate setter, etc, etc are ways to place a barreier between the food and the fire to slow down the direct cooking caused by the fire and the direct path to the food. Ceramics are better than a metal drip pan obviously. Pictured is the simpliest setup using 4 or 5 firebricks. These can be found at fireplace/woodstove stores. On the top you will notice the added gird to cook on. You can also add a drip pan under the top grid to keep grease from dripping on your bricks (this is an old picture when they were new). Using ceramics allows the Egg to cook with higher temps and avoid burning the food.[p]Please visit the website for many more pictures. [p]Tim [p]Tim

[ul][li]Tim's BGE website[/ul]
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Gentleman Jim,
    Indirect cooking is any method that shields the food from the direct radiant heat of the fire. Something as simple as a throw-away aluminum drip pan and a v-rack creates an indirect environment. People use all sorts of drip pans and setups with multiple cooking grids. Cooking indirect is more oven-like, and is usually used to prevent food from burning, or drying out, before it is done inside. Adding firebricks to the setup creates even more of an oven-like environment, and are really great for baking. A drip pan and a second cooking grid (or v-rack) is all you really need for most indirect cooks.[p]Like the others have mentioned, Gfw's and Tim's sites are top notch, and have lots of photos and info.[p]Welcome to the family! You'll learn quickly if you cook a lot, try new things, and don't hesitate to ask questions.
    Enjoy!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Tim M, Thanks for the great information and website. Man this will help me alot.

• Nature Boy, Thanks alot. I can't wait to try it out.

• Sundown, Thanks for the help. You all are great!

• Fireball, Thanks for the information. With all this help I hope I do well.