Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork burnt ends- I must be missing the big flick...

Options
Never have had the urge to go down the burnt ends road with brisket but thought "Lets see what this is all about with pork."
Given the investment in the slicing of the butt and the prep work just to create the cubes of pork, I am at a loss for the "wow factor".  Definitely tastes great but for the work to get there- I will pass in the future.  YMMV-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Oh come on now ... you post a picture that looks like it came from your home security system, don't post any details, and then, give pork burnt ends the raspberry.

How did you cook them?

PS ... I did some last summer and didn't think they were that great either.  But, I figured it was my fault, not the meat's fault.  Smoked a 6.5 lb butt for one hour at 225, then at 250 for six hours, then at 275 for one hour (was playing around with my new FB200) until the internal temp reached 160 degrees.  Pulled the butt and cubed it ... took about 40 minutes.  Coated one half with one sauce and the other half with a second sauce.  Back on the egg for an additional 90 minutes.  Again, they were good, but not great ... too much work for the results.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have done the BE with brisket only, then served them up on Nachos. Unbelievable. I have yet to try them with pork butt, however, I am tempted to try the same with nachos.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Use country style ribs instead.  Cubing a whole butt sucks.
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina that pic makes my mouth water 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Jeepster47 - I am not a big pic guy.  Matter of fact, I deleted that pic from my phone registry and I now have no pics in the library.  But regardless of the pic, you do raise that point that the details need to be offered, although I thought the cook process was was fairly obvious.  Here we go;
    Acquire a pork butt-weight as it is (the above was 6.7 lbs).
    Plan to smoke (BGE calibrated dome temp) in the 230-275 +/-*F range until the internal temp is around 170*F. (This one took 6 + hrs to get there).  Then extract from the BGE and cut into  around 3/4-1 " cubes.  Toss in more rub, some garlic butter, Q sauce and back on the BGE.
    Cook (same as the initial temp) until you get hungry...or about another 80-100 mins.  For a protracted day of adult beverage consumption-the above is all you will get.  ;)

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @lousubcap ... although the poke was tongue-in-cheek, I do appreciate you posting the details.  Looks like, except for a 10 degree difference in pull temp, we cooked to the same recipe.  Think I'll be sitting on the sidelines with you on cooking pork burnt ends again ...

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Some...well a lot of cooks involve a lot of prep. + the plating itself. But, the end result is the payoff. Looks like you did damn good.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I made 10 lbs of these for a party a couple months back and every one got eaten. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I do mine around 400 after cubing. Makes it more...well...burnt. we absolutely love em. Great game day food.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I agree with @ksmyrl - kicking up the temp will caramelize the sugars in the sauce and give that burnt look with the slight crunchy shell of bark.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @Jeepster47 @lousubcap
    Sorry to hear that y'all didn't care for the PBE's. Since I shared the recipe last year, several folks have made them and really enjoyed them. Sorry that y'all did not. I have another unique method of making burnt ends that I will share as well after the holidays when I have time to post. Maybe y'all will enjoy it. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Agree - go hot!  I haven't tried the pork - will be doing that over the holiday.  With brisket, I crank the heat once cubed to caramelize the crap out of them.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Jeepster47 @lousubcap
    Sorry to hear that y'all didn't care for the PBE's. Since I shared the recipe last year, several folks have made them and really enjoyed them. Sorry that y'all did not. I have another unique method of making burnt ends that I will share as well after the holidays when I have time to post. Maybe y'all will enjoy it. 
    @SGH ... don't fret my friend ... you are still way ahead on points in my book by turning me on to Rockwood.  Have been thinking about trying it again.  Would cut the butt into thirds and cook each piece to a different internal temp before the cubing operation.  And, several have pointed out that the final temp might have been t0o low on the cubes.

Plus, some folks like grits, so you can never tell what appeals to different folks ... it's all good.

• lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH - I'm with @Jeepster47 - I will likely give it another shot down the road and finish at the higher temp.  As I mentioned, they tasted great.
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    Why is using pork so much more work than brisket? I mean if you have 6 pounds of pork and it needs cubed why is that harder than 6 pounds of brisket. Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. I intend to try this soon but I will cut the butt into 3 (roughly) equal pieces of meat. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @charliebatutis - Short answer, it's not.  But as I mentioned in my initial post,
    "Never have had the urge to go down the burnt ends road with brisket ."
    Just decided to give the cook a go...FWIW-
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Why is using pork so much more work than brisket? I mean if you have 6 pounds of pork and it needs cubed why is that harder than 6 pounds of brisket. Sorry in advance if this is a dumb question. I intend to try this soon but I will cut the butt into 3 (roughly) equal pieces of meat. 
    It's a lot more work with a bone in shoulder. The bone doesn't just pull out at 170 or even 180 degrees so you are stuck trying to cut around the bone and cube meat that is burning hot. I won't do them with a bone in shoulder ever again the Costco shoulders are perfect for this though.
  • BrookieP
    BrookieP Posts: 135
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Burnt ends are much better than pork burnt ends. I have tried pork burnt ends with Dizzy Dust and they turned out alright. 
    XL BGE & 36" Blackstone
    Instagram: BGEBrooke
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    Lit said:
    It's a lot more work with a bone in shoulder. The bone doesn't just pull out at 170 or even 180 degrees so you are stuck trying to cut around the bone and cube meat that is burning hot. I won't do them with a bone in shoulder ever again the Costco shoulders are perfect for this though.
    Thanks. I'm going to try this on a butt that doesn't have a bone. 
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    I just did burnt ends with some left over short ribs and they came out great.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options

Plus, some folks like grits, so you can never tell what appeals to different folks ... it's all good.
    Your not saying...  You could not be saying..... 
    <gasp!>

You do not like grits?

Say it ain't so!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Your not saying...  You could not be saying..... 
    <gasp!>

You do not like grits?

Say it ain't so!
    Probably just never had proper grits. It's the only explanation. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I thought grits wuz on sandpaper.  :o

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.