Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

vegetarians are killing the planet

Options

"Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Climate change is our biggest threat you know....  :|
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    was just thinking we should mob up and find these planet killers and throw rotten veggies at them =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options
    Maybe Obama will appoint a veggie czar
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I see the original full article is only available for pay, and at least some of the supporting info is by subscription. But from the abstracts that were available, my guess is that the problem is that lettuce, celery and other leafy greens are mostly water with almost no calories per pound. So if you are buying stuff grown in CA, as most veg at the market are, the "carbon footprint" includes the shipping and refrigeration it takes to get them to market a few thousand miles away.

Other things I've read indicate that other than spices, and grains, there isn't much that makes real sense to ship across continents or oceans.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    gdenby said:
    I see the original full article is only available for pay, and at least some of the supporting info is by subscription. But from the abstracts that were available, my guess is that the problem is that lettuce, celery and other leafy greens are mostly water with almost no calories per pound. So if you are buying stuff grown in CA, as most veg at the market are, the "carbon footprint" includes the shipping and refrigeration it takes to get them to market a few thousand miles away.

Other things I've read indicate that other than spices, and grains, there isn't much that makes real sense to ship across continents or oceans.
    Many decades ago I read an article where someone described iceberg lettuce as a very expensive way to ship water from California.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

"Eating lettuce is over three times worse in greenhouse gas emissions than eating bacon"

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/12/151214130727.htm

I'm in, but they would probably eat the munitions.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I can't even imagine being a vegetarian. That's got to be a sad life. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FarmerTom
    FarmerTom Posts: 685
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I'm with you SGH.  I'm an old country boy, and a meal without meat just isn't a meal in my book.  And a belated Happy Birthday to you with thanks for all you contribute to this site.

Tommy 

Middle of Nowhere, Northern Kentucky
       1 M, 1 XL, a BlackStone,1 old Webber, a Border Collie, a German Shepherd and 3 of her pups, and 2 Yorkies

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Vegetarian is the Indian word for dad hunter 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Many years ago, I was a vegetarian for maybe a year.  Not a vegan. Egg, milk, cheese, no prob. Lots of good food available, but usually much harder to make tasty. When people point to Indian vegetarian food (which certainly features butter and cheese), they often forget India produces huge amounts of herbs and spices. And they are not far from "the spice islands."  No pepper or nutmeg or cinammon or saffron... growing around me.

FWIW, Roman legionnaires marched on bread and water, and would protest having to eat too much meat.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Heh - I know one of the authors of the study.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Heard this on the radio during my commute. Pretty reveling. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I suspect a key factor is that the calculations were based on calories.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Correct @JohnInCarolina I remember them stating it was based off of caloric intake. So a 1/4 field of lettuce to a 15# slab of bacon. Seems like a reasonable & fair comparison. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I saw this online and thought it was hillarious.

http://youtu.be/8JPZskYKUvY
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2015
    Options
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She's real lucky he wasn't "carrying" and felt threatened by this oxygen thief and poor excuse for a human being. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    gdenby said:

Many decades ago I read an article where someone described iceberg lettuce as a very expensive way to ship water from California.
    And please keep on buying that over-priced California water, our economy needs it.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Davec433 That would've been a very short conversation had that been myself and that (dare I say) lady. She has big brass one's I'll give her that. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    I saw this online and thought it was hillarious.

http://youtu.be/8JPZskYKUvY
    What do you call ignoramuses like that?

I can't call her a b!tch, that would be insulting to all female dogs.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    California is killing itself with self inflicted wounds! With all those natural resources it's a shame. I grew up in Glen Ellen and the vineyards brought in a lot of tourism.