Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Advice

I managed to secure an XL egg for $500, barely used. I'm going to pick it up in two days and wonder if it's even possible for two people to realistically move the egg? Should I plan to disassemble? Any help or advice would be appreciated. 
LBGE, CGW Swing Rack, Baking Steel. Mini-Max on the way. 

Boston MA

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    If you take the internals out it is pretty manageable with 2 people.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • I agree with TFols.  Remove the internals and it's manageable.  For extra ease / safety remove the dome.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • Wowens
    Wowens Posts: 115
    I unloaded and assembled my XL solo.  It would have been easier with 2.  If all disassembled, none of the individual parts are to heavy. 
  • Wowens said:
    I unloaded and assembled my XL solo.  It would have been easier with 2.  If all disassembled, none of the individual parts are to heavy. 

I also soloed the unload / assembly of my XL. I agree that two people can easily handle one.
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Nice deal! I would personally just take a wrench and take the dome off. Takes 2 minutes
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited December 2015
    When I move mine I remove all the internal parts and wrap, tight, the upper dome and lower 1/3 of base with saran wrap. Make several passes at the base/dome seam. This holds the dome shut and gives you a large area of extra grip.  You don't want to hold or lift to much on the bands and hinge system.
    If I'm going to remove the dome for transport I normally loosen lower band only and remove Dome with the bands and hinge. The weight of the dome will keep the bands together w/o having to remove the springs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    That's a steal @Martello_Penne! Congratulations and good luck. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • Remember pull, don't push. if you roll it. Two people, disassembled, no problem.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    When they dropped it off another guy and myself lifted it out of the truck with all the internals. It's heavy but doable. I then dragged it through my grass and dragged it on the deck almost dumping it by myself. Two people can definitely do it.
  • Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. And yes @eggaroo I was lucky to find a great deal. It was the only way I could convince my wife to allow another egg into our small Boston backyard. 

Boston MA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,794
    Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it. And yes @eggaroo I was lucky to find a great deal. It was the only way I could convince my wife to allow another egg into our small Boston backyard. 

it was on sale.  And you saved a lot of money.

I bet she has also saved a lot of money over the years.  Now she knows what she was saving it for.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• $500 is a crazy deal!  Enjoy!
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Great deal can't wait to see some cooks.
  • It probably goes without saying, but the base of the Egg is the only heavy part. Remove the ceramics from the inside and separate the halves, and it shouldn't be a problem.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    I've moved mine in and out of a couple of competitions with 2 people. It's not fun, but totally doable.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • It ended up being far easier than I thought and the two of us lifted it into the van with ease. The guy sold it because he couldn't figure out how to use it. I think I figured out his problem when I got home. He used the same adhesive he'd used to secure the gasket, to paint the daisy wheel closed. It's literally as functional as the green ceramic cap now. Pretty amazing. I ordered a smokewear and a Woo 2'as soon as I got home. Thanks for all the help people. I'll post some cooks soon. 

Boston MA
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,722
    It ended up being far easier than I thought and the two of us lifted it into the van with ease. The guy sold it because he couldn't figure out how to use it. I think I figured out his problem when I got home. He used the same adhesive he'd used to secure the gasket, to paint the daisy wheel closed. It's literally as functional as the green ceramic cap now. Pretty amazing. I ordered a smokewear and a Woo 2'as soon as I got home. Thanks for all the help people. I'll post some cooks soon. 
    Nice.

It's amazing the strange things people do...
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Take the guys out and remove the dome and you can move it yourself.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    I'll give you 520 for it.

Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...