Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

72 Hour Brisket Finished And .....

Options
Drum Roll please... 

ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta ta taaaaaaa 

That was the tenderest. juiciest, most wonderful brisket I've ever eaten. Period... 

Unless you have a sous vide immersion cooker, and happened to start your brisket in the sous vide 72 hours ago, and seared it on a really hot Big Green Egg today, I will lay claim to cooking the best brisket in America on this day, December 14, 2015. 

Yes, I took both photos and video, and will be putting it together tonight to share with the world tomorrow. 

But for now, here's a little teaser. 

Pink all the way through. 131° internal, even after 45 seconds on each side for the sear. Probably the tenderest piece of meat we've eaten in years, maybe even 'ever.' 

Judy likes it better with some BBQ sauce. I like it better without sauce, but the sauce makes it taste more like BBQ. Without it, it tastes more like a really good tenderloin, only better. 

I said I won't be doing this again but maybe I will, and next time I will sear first and try to get some smoke in it. That was the only thing missing. Well, that and the smoke ring, which does nothing anyway. 

So for ye doubters, you should'a been here. The sous vide process did everything the books said it would do. 

Now you know. Look for the video tomorrow on both Forums and on Facebook. And probably on CNN after the word gets around. 

Spring "Brisket Success At Last" Chicken 
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Glad to hear that it was a overwhelming success my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I'm not going to lie though, I was skeptical of the SV and brisket. Just doesn't sound right to my old ears. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Looks freaking amazing. Nicely Done!!!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Awesome!  Great work!!  I think we'll be seeing a lot more SV brisket threads now.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I can't wait 16 hours for a brisket. 70+ hours would freaking kill me. It looks awesome, I am glad it was so worth the effort and wait.
    Excellent images too!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    What texture would you say it was close to. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Way to go Leroy. This is how I like my steaks.
    Nicely done sir.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    You people ain't gona get me to spend all my retirement money on gadgets but you sure as hell are trying. 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    well played sir, well played!
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Did it eat like steak or like brisket?  I mean where was the texture on that scale.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    I have the sous vide, but I don't have one big enough for the 15 pound brisket in the freezer!
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Looks like prime rib texture almost @texaswig
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Hey Leroy, where the hell did you go ... I've been hanging around the "8 hrs and 36 minute" thread waiting for the money shot.  Geez.

Are you saying that 72 hrs at 131 degrees tenderizes the beef more than 16 hrs at 250 degrees?

This cooking stuff is like a great big vortex ... damn ... just bought the egg to grill a steak once in awhile.  Now you've tempting me to cook meat with an aquarium heater.  Great cook ... thanks for posting.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Spring Chicken
    Options
    Nice Leroy! I would recommend to pull from the SV, throw in an ice bath to totally cool down then add rub and slow smoke over oak on yer BGE for a few hours. That will set the bark and give you the smoke/traditional brisket flavor you are after. 
    Thanks.  Great idea about the ice bath.  I'll sure keep it in mind.  I'm learning and a bunch of nice people are jumping in with ideas.

Spring "Always In Learning Mode" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

Did it eat like steak or like brisket?  I mean where was the texture on that scale.
    I think it was like a nice filet mignon.

Spring "Not To Hard Not Too Soft Just Right" Chicken
  • Spring Chicken
    Options

texaswig said:
    What texture would you say it was close to. 
    Filet Mignon.  But Judy thinks prime rib.

It was good.

Spring "Life Gets Better When You Learn Something New" Chicken

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Friggin awesome man!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice Leroy! I would recommend to pull from the SV, throw in an ice bath to totally cool down then add rub and slow smoke over oak on yer BGE for a few hours. That will set the bark and give you the smoke/traditional brisket flavor you are after. 
    Thanks.  Great idea about the ice bath.  I'll sure keep it in mind.  I'm learning and a bunch of nice people are jumping in with ideas.

I have to try this some time. Thanks for posting the results.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options

I think it was like a nice filet mignon.

Spring "Not To Hard Not Too Soft Just Right" Chicken
    Definitely plan to experiment with my SV and some brisket.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • hoofaloos
    Options

Won't this effect the medium rare finished product?  I would imagine a couple of hours at 250ish would bring the IT up to more of a medium doneness which defeats the purpose of sous vide I would think.
    XLBGE- Napa, CA by way of ATX

• hoofaloos
    Options
    Is this a full packer or just the flat?

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    hoofaloos said:

Won't this effect the medium rare finished product?  I would imagine a couple of hours at 250ish would bring the IT up to more of a medium doneness which defeats the purpose of sous vide I would think.
    No.  By cooling down the meat you can give it more exposure to smoke before you're back at the SV temp, which you have held the meat at for many days.

However, we're shooting for something that tastes good, not necessarily a medium rare brisket.  One truth with temperature and meat is you denature the muscle protein and it holds less moisture when brought to a higher temperature.  Despite the lovely color with a medium rare brisket, really medium...you have very little rendering of fat.  So the flat isn't devoid of fat, much improved.  The point can be a bit too fatty.

So if you use this technique, trim as much fat as you can on the point.  And I would take it up in the post-smoke past 170F to render some of the fat.

I've done SV briskets many, many times and I've played around with different formulas.  I've settled on 147F for 48 to 72 hours.  You want to go longer if it's a large brisket.  Larger cows are tougher.  The connective tissue takes longer to break down.  The reason I like this temp is because it does soften up the fat.

All that said, what I do is look at the meat and make decisions on how it's best cooked, my time frame, etc.  For example, veal short ribs cook in half the time in SV than the large adult cow version.  

On the up-side, it's difficult to overcook with SV.  You will get a fatty "pulled" product if you do.  Not unpleasant.  But you have a lot of control with this technique and it moves in slow motion.  
    Options
    The real reason I say more "medium" than medium rare is because you can't cook SV for extended times below 130F.  To me that is medium.
    thanks for the knowledge, Nola.