Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

need some ideas please,,,

Options
SWMBO and I want to have a few people over after Christmas, they are all eggheads, so it will be fun. I need suggestions from everyone. I will have all 3 eggs going, large (Eggatha), small (Eggwardo), and the mini (Eggbert) all ready for the tasks at hand. Looking for some ideas for an evening of appys, whose done this kind of evening and what have you done? Did you have others bring there fav dishes, or what?? Ideas please. :s
Large, small, and a mini

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just went back and looked at pictures from our Christmas party last year.

• Brisket
    • Bacon wrapped dates stuffed with goat cheese seasoned with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head. Dusted the bacon with DP PH as well
    • Smoked Mac n' Cheese
    • Baked corn casserole on the egg
    • Homemade bread
    • 72 hour 138* SV beef short ribs cubed and deep fried - These are awesome apps
    • Assortment of pies, cookies, crackers and dips for appetizers that were brought
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @DMW thanks, did people bring some of things or did u supply the whole "She Bang"? And the guest brought the cookies etc. Trying to figure out how to get a multitude of things done in the evening.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    Options
    @DMW thanks, did people bring some of things or did u supply the whole "She Bang"? And the guest brought the cookies etc. Trying to figure out how to get a multitude of things done in the evening.
    Guests brought the desserts and appetizers. We're hosting a party next Saturday night and due to lack of planning probably going to have simpler menu. Snake River Farms gold brisket will be the highlight, haven't even started to think about what else. Need to figure that out this week.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options

I should mention, for things like brisket, mac n' cheese, corn casserole, and bread, you can easily have these finished ahead of time. For the hot stuff, hold them in a cooler and serve when ready. That let's you cook up the last minute apps and stuff on the eggs without worrying about the main courses being ready. That's how I do all my stuff for parties now, takes the stress out of the equation.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• smokesniffer
    Options
    @DMW You really should have me over, it would be WAY easier to comprehend. ;);)
    Large, small, and a mini
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I would let everyone cook a little  something. Fast stuff. No long cooks. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @texaswig  Thanks I like the idea of everyone getting involved and helping out. Just trying to think through the idea that there may be a very different blend of flavours.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I had guests help make empanadas once. I had the dough and filling ready; we visited while putting them together. Have dipping sauce ready when done. It was a hoot. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Make your own pizza is always a thrill in my house.
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Different everything is fine.that's where the good stuff comes from.  It makes it fun. Kinda liked your own little personal Eggfest. Just kinda have everything staggered so everyone's always eating and drinking. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Have fellow eggers chip in for sure.  You're looking for quick cooks.  I'd suggest bacon wrapped BBQ shrimp and bacon wrapped asparagus, good at room temp with dressing of choice.  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I would consider having folks bring a dish or appetizer to egg. You could make some items a head of time keep in a cooler like @DMW suggested. The upside is that you get to try different things that people like to make. The downside is that the logistics may be a little tricky e.g. the LBGE will have to be available for cooking a dish or two that guests bring, while you crank out apps on the other 2 eggs.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @SciAggie thanks, what was the set up on the egg like, or did you cook them via a different method?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @Gamecockeggman  Ya I've run that one through my head a time or two. Everyone can build their own, and we have a za smorgasbord.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @texaswig & @bgebrent you both have a point there, get to see others in action and taste the results, I like that.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Anyone done a taco bar, if so, how did ya do it?
    Large, small, and a mini
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @SciAggie thanks, what was the set up on the egg like, or did you cook them via a different method?
    I used a pizza stone and just baked them. The cooking is straightforward. This might be helpful http://laylita.com/recipes/all-about-empanadas/
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @caliking thanks I do have a second grill that can go above the grill that rests on the fire ring. So that could work if the guests were told about height restrictions. But it defineatly could work. 
    Large, small, and a mini
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    @SciAggie  Thanks this helps.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    Options
    Anyone from the forum is always welcome. If anyone local wants to hang out Saturday night, you are more than welcome. I'll be working on finalizing the menu later today. So far here's what I'm thinking.

• SRF Gold brisket
    • Scalloped potatoes
    • Potatoes au gratin
    • Bacon wrapped dates
    • Bread
    • Lemon bars (neighbor will be making)
    Not sure what else, will work on the rest later. If anyone wants to stop by, let me know.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Brie in Puff Pastry-

Asparagus in phyllo-

Grilled Crab Cakes-

Grilled Stuffed Artichokes-

ok- shamelessly, they are all recipes in my book. However book or no book they all are really exciting to serve to friends and family, and SUPER easy to make. 

looking forward to your pictures regardless of what you decide-

Cheers-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• smokesniffer
    Options
    DMW said:
    Anyone from the forum is always welcome. If anyone local wants to hang out Saturday night, you are more than welcome. I'll be working on finalizing the menu later today. So far here's what I'm thinking.

• SRF Gold brisket
    • Scalloped potatoes
    • Potatoes au gratin
    • Bacon wrapped dates
    • Bread
    • Lemon bars (neighbor will be making)
    Not sure what else, will work on the rest later. If anyone wants to stop by, let me know.
    @DMW while I certainly do appreciate the kind invitation, google maps suggests a 43 hour drive to get to you. Guess that kind of removes me from being local. Thanks for the invite though. Hope Saturday night goes well.
    Large, small, and a mini