Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajitas - type of meat? technique?

Options
I'm making Fajitas for about 25 people this Friday.  I'm typically a chicken fajita kind of guy, but plan on offering chicken or steak.  I've been searching the forums to see what most people use and I see a real mix of:

- flank
- skirt
- flat iron

I'm looking for some input on what would be best.  

2nd question:
Should I cook it whole, then slice and maybe put back on the egg for a minute or two?  Or slice raw and then put on the egg in something like cast iron or a basket?

I am leaning toward cooking it whole and letting rest a while since with this much meat I'll likely need to cook some in advance.

Any input would be helpful.  Thanks!

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sirloin flap works best for me. Skirt is great also but hard to come by in the GWN.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I believe Skirt steak is the standard for a solid fajita.   I can't find it around me.  I'm told it's all sold to restaurants.

Flank is a close second.  Well, for me its the first because I never find skirt.  :lol:

Definitely cook it whole.  Slice against the grain when ready to serve.  I also filet it in half, before cooking, to make two thin slabs for each.    I cook it direct, fast, and it's awesome.  :plus_one:

Good luck, it'll be great!  And yes, make a bunch of chicken also.  Over half the people will grab your easier cheaper meat and you won't have to make as much flank.  :wink: 
    LBGE/Maryland
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Flat iron for me. The key to improving the fajita is to cook the protein whole and rest, then slice. Throw a few FI steaks on and some BS chicken breasts and you can't miss. I like the Dizzy Pig Fajitaish seasoning on the meat and veggies. Good luck. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @eggersc
    You can use just about anything. However the most traditional meats are skirt, flank, top sirloin, top round and eye of round. Probably in that order. As brother Scott mentioned above, flat iron works great as well. Sometime back I did some with ribeye just for the heck of it. Turned out great. If it's available in your area, I would chose skirt over flank. It's marbled a tad better than flank and in my opinion tastes better. But again, the tasting better is just my opinion. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Flat iron for me. 
    Me too ;) Brother you and I seem to about the only ones who like to cook flat irons. Kind of sad really, they are a exceptional cut of meat. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• KiterTodd
    Options
    I'll have to look for flat iron.  I never see it in the store.  What is unique about this cut?

LBGE/Maryland
  • eggersc
    Options
    @KiterTodd That looks amazing!  What kind of marinade/seasoning is on that?
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I like skirt the best and flank is a close second.  I prefer to cook it whole and then slice before serving.  You might find some people don't want it as rare so you could toss some of the slices back in a skillet for those that want it more done.  

@KiterTodd I agree that looks awesome.  Great idea to cut in in half.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SGH
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
     What is unique about this cut?

It is cut from the front shoulder (clod).

Status- Standing by.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Fajita or Skirt Steak

Marinade in EEVO, Lime Juice and Cumin - or - Dizzy Fajitaish in lieu of Cumin. 

Cook Direct 550-600 for about three minutes a side. 

Rest

Slice against the grain. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• KiterTodd
    edited December 2015
    Options
    eggersc said:
    @KiterTodd That looks amazing!  What kind of marinade/seasoning is on that?
    I discuss it in THIS thread.  Ignore the off topic pictures which my hosting company has put in place of my great egging shots!

This is how we served it that day...

one note regarding the chimichurri you see up there, if you go that route. I have changed to approach on subsequent efforts.  I now make extra churri to set aside for serving.  For that condiment portion I add in a lot of extra lime and salt. Makes it a more flavorful salsa.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Little Steven
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:

Yeah, you guys figure out all these great cuts and by the time we get them here they are the price of filet.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SGH
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:

Yeah, you guys figure out all these great cuts and by the time we get them here they are the price of filet.
    Brother Little, I remember watching my grandfather cut them back in the late 60's and early 70's long before they were available in supermarkets and grocery stores. However he referred to them as "Book Steaks" instead of the universally recognized and more common name of flat iron. 

Status- Standing by.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    SGH said:
    KiterTodd said:

They have doubled in price over the last couple years, but what beef hasn't. Great cut. I would say it is on par with my beloved ribeye in flavor, maybe better. 
  • setdahook
    Options
    Make fajitas about twice a month love skirt steak and have had success doing tri tip. 

1 orange zested and juiced
    2 limes zested and juiced 
    4 cloves carlic
    Handfull of dried hatch chilles (others work well depends on how much heat you want)
               Cut tops off rattle the seeds out rehydrate in warm water
    1 bundle cilantro just cut the leaves off the stems
    Salt and pepper
    Put it all in food processor 
    Toss it on the meat for 4 hours

I would figure 1 skirt feeds about 4-6 tri tip may be easier just because you could fit several on the egg.

• setdahook
    Options
    Forgot to mention i do a corn recipe every raves about more than the meat

6 ears corn clean a grill i like some good color not burnt though once done take it off the ears and mix with....
    1/2 bundles cilantro leaves diced 
    Extra virgin olive oil
    Goat cheese i just add until it looks right
    4-5 roma tomatoes diced take out the seeds and pulp
    Onion salt no idea how much add till it taistes right
    Garlic salt do the same as above (or skip both and use adobo seasoning from goya)
    Pepper and if needed salt

Dont forget to do a ton of onions and peppers in a pan

Hope you enjoy =)

• Cm23
    Cm23 Posts: 130
    Options
    Cooked some a few weeks ago, Kroger had ribeye roasts for $5/#, came out great
    XL, 2 Large, Mini  -- Shenandoah, TX  Now BulletGrillHouse
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    1) skirt (3-4 per cow)
    2) flank (2 per cow) 
    3) flat iron
    4) sirloin (if nothing else is available)

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    Flap meat from the sirloin...if you can find it.  Plenty here in Texas and in California.

I just happen to be making fajitas tonight with some ends from a tenderloin. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    @Legume That's what I'm talking about. Fajita mignon.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum