Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Bowl of Red

Wow, this stuff is awesome!! I did it on the stovetop because 1) I'm lazy, 2) I used smoked paprika for some smoky flavor and 3) I love the way the house smells when I do chili indoors!! =)

As I have been doing of late, I leaned heavily on Cindy Reed's Terlingua winning recipe. This time I used mostly "light" chili powder found at a local spice store. Couldn't find the two Hotch mentioned yesterday, but this worked well. As a result, I finally got a bowl of RED, not brown! Instead of her serranos, I floated two anchos and one habanero for most of the cook. Added a second hab toward the end. The meat was a 3 pound bottom round roast I found on sale for $2.88 per pound! I added an onion and a small can of diced no salt added tomatoes, neither were in her recipe. Not a single bean, though I was tempted. =) 

Speaking of "best ever" chili... this sure was mine! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
Central Connecticut 

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    That looks fantastic brother Q!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    What!!!! No beans???

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• CodyA88
    CodyA88 Posts: 143
    Man, I love chili and that looks awesome!  I'm hungry now!
    LBGE, 28" Blackstone
    Georgia
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Congrats that is a great looking bowl of Texas Red.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Hotch said:
    Congrats that is a great looking bowl of Texas Red.
    Thanks to you! You are the one who pointed me to Cindy's recipe. I've done it a few times and it seems to get better each time!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• What?....no beans? ain't chili. I just finished making mine in the pressure cooker.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    What?....no beans? ain't chili. I just finished making mine in the pressure cooker.
    It's good with beans too. But don't tell them Texas boys.

I almost tried this batch in the PC. Never have. Would have to play around with the timing for the multiple dumps in this recipe. It's too good to want to screw it up.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• I just put all the shiznet in the Insta-pot and press the chili button.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Carolina Q
    Mine doesn't have a chill button. Or any other button. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,717
    Save me a bowl.
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket and various Weber's
    Floyd Va

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Your State Of Texas paper work will be awaiting you at the boarder  =)
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Mickey said:

Well said.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    did you cube the meat or grind it. i must admit i like to post pics of her recipe over pasta and covered with cheese, i think that freaks more folks out than beans =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Mickey said:
    haha, thanks, but my citizenship will be revoked when they find out I once tried this recipe with... beans!

Hotch posted Cindy's recipe, but you are the one who introduced me to her chili in the first place. With the seasoning packet you sent. Do yourself a favor and try this stuff from scratch. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    did you cube the meat or grind it. i must admit i like to post pics of her recipe over pasta and covered with cheese, i think that freaks more folks out than beans =)
    Cubed. I like the texture better. In fact, next time I might cube it a bit larger.  

As for the pasta and cheese, I don't think Cincinnati is what she had in mind when she called it Cin Chili. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    Cubed. I like the texture better. In fact, next time I might cube it a bit larger.  

As for the pasta and cheese, I don't think Cincinnati is what she had in mind when she called it Cin Chili. =)
    i like 1/2 inch cubes 50/50 with coarse ground thru a 3/8 grinding plate. is this the recipe you followed
    https://www.cinchili.com/recipes-cinchili.html

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • frognot
    frognot Posts: 103
    Great lookin' chili right there!

The problem with beans in chili is the beans take up space where meat and spices could be.
    Allen, Texas          LBGE, Orange Thermapen (fastest and easiest to find)

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Looks great Michael!  Although I do prefer beans in my chili. Lots of meat but, always beans. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Tasty looking meal.
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    I have to say, I like that Bowl of Red.

Beans in chili are fine. (Although meat is preferable, beans do a nice job of lowering the fat and cholesterol per serving, allowing us to eat more chili. There is ALWAYS a silver lining. As long as you don't try to serve me bean and bulgur chili.)
  • Carolina Q
    Fish, that recipe is close, at a quick glance anyway. Here's where I started... 

http://www.chilicookin.com/Recipes/CASI/TICC1992.htm

I have done this recipe with and without beans. Both are delicious. If you add beans, it lasts longer. =)

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    Mosca said:
    I have to say, I like that Bowl of Red.

Beans in chili are fine. (Although meat is preferable, beans do a nice job of lowering the fat and cholesterol per serving, allowing us to eat more chili. There is ALWAYS a silver lining. As long as you don't try to serve me bean and bulgur chili.)
    There was some Vegan Chili at Brisket fest this year that was absolutely out of this world good.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Do the serrano peppers do much just floating? Or do you cut them open first? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Carolina Q
    edited December 2015
    Do the serrano peppers do much just floating? Or do you cut them open first? 
    I've never used serranos. Can never find them! In the past, just a couple of uncut dried anchos. This time, I did that and added the habanero. All uncut. I floated them whole because that's what the recipe says.

I don't think it would make any difference as long as you seeded them and removed the membrane.  If you split them open and left those in place, I would think it would be hotter. Could be wrong though - I'm far from a chili expert... Very far!!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut