Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing Smoke Stain

Options
Yesterday, I cooked some chili on my BGE. I used an enameled cast iron dutch oven. It is now covered with black smoke. I have scrubbed it, but it hasn't come completely off. Any suggestions as to how to remove it? Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    Bar keepers friend!!!

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    In case @shucker message seems coded, Bar Keepers Friend is a cleaning product that cleans stainless steel and other cooking surfaces.  Food safe. Mildly abrasive but safe for any surface.  Active ingredient is oxalic acid.  
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I don't know if it will work your enameled CI DO, but I used Simple Green to clean the SS top on my outside prep table.  I have a dedicated regular black CI DO and I don't worry to much about the smoke issue, because I can't see it. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • vandrv
    vandrv Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I have some Simple Green at home. I will give that a try. I've heard lots of good things about Bar Keepers Friend, but have never seen it in stores. I should probably order some. As far as a regular black cast iron dutch oven, I think I should go ahead and invest in one. I have a feeling that if I manage to get enameled one clean, I have no shot of ever using it again.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Bar Keepers friend is stocked in most grocery stores where you find comet.  Also at Home Depot.  Works great on enameled CI.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    vandrv said:
    Thanks for the replies. I have some Simple Green at home. I will give that a try. I've heard lots of good things about Bar Keepers Friend, but have never seen it in stores. I should probably order some. As far as a regular black cast iron dutch oven, I think I should go ahead and invest in one. I have a feeling that if I manage to get enameled one clean, I have no shot of ever using it again.
    If that's the case just go ahead and buy a new enameled one, and keep the one you just used as Egg specific.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Agree with Bar Keepers friend.  If you can't find that, either King Kleen or King Kleen for enameled cast iron.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Legume said:
    Agree with Bar Keepers friend.  If you can't find that, either King Kleen or King Kleen for enameled cast iron.
    Amazon. It's magic. 
  • ch1488
    Options
    Mr. Clean Eraser works on mine.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @vandrv
    From the Iron Gods themselves. Scroll down towards the bottom of the article for cleaning tips. Some pretty useful tips. 

https://www.lodgemfg.com/use-and-care/enameled-cast-iron-use-and-care.asp

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    BKF is sold at Bed Bath and Beyond. Great stuff.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• BizGreenEgg
    Options
    There's an identical product to Bar Keeper's Friend called Bon Ami.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Ace Hardware sells a soot cleaner for cleaning the glass in gas fireplace inserts.  It will clean the soot off anything.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • vandrv
    vandrv Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. I made a paste of baking soda and dish soap, and that did a pretty good job on it. I will keep an eye out for Bar Keepers Friend, just in case I get the urge to try the dutch oven on the egg again.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    There's an identical product to Bar Keeper's Friend called Bon Ami.
    Bon Ami is NOT the same! I once bought some when my store was out of BKF. Won't make that mistake again!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I use my RTIC.  Half the cost and all the clean ... oh wait, wrong thread.

I scrub off what I can and don't worry about the rest.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Isopropyl alcohol works.  I just cleaned my cold smoker.  Keep it wet then a mild scrubbie.  Also, the "magic eraser" works. 

Another trick....use rubbing compound...stuff you use on your basecoat clearcoat finish on your car.