Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Do you sauce brisket?

Options
Over on another forum the question of sauce on brisket came up. It was a competition based thread but it got me wondering... I have never sauced my brisket at home or for comp. I wouldnt' even know what flavor profile to start with.

Do any of you sauce your brisket and if so, what brand or type of sauce are you using?
XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum

Comments

• yogi84
    yogi84 Posts: 189
    Options
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Grim, I have a ton to say on this matter. Will elaborate when time allows. Heck I may stop by your house on my ride home this afternoon and chat with you if you are free. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I think you may have broken a few laws just by asking the question Grim.

Will be watching this for sure.

Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    blasting said:

I think you may have broken a few laws just by asking the question Grim.

Will be watching this for sure.

The competition guys overwhelmingly sauce. It blew my mind.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options

SGH said:
    Brother Grim, I have a ton to say on this matter. Will elaborate when time allows. Heck I may stop by your house on my ride home this afternoon and chat with you if you are free. 
    Headed home in an hour with no plans for the rest of the day!
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Never sauced my sliced brisket.  My wife does like chop when we do leftovers, so I will sauce that.  Lately, she has been asking for Texas burnt ends from the end cut.  She's more of a brisket snob than I am...love it!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

Depends on what you need.

Is it for a one bite judging for a comp or are we serving for lunch and dinner?

For me no sauce. If it needs sauce, I move on to the turkey and or sausage.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Grim, the really successful comp guys do some strange $hit.  Ultimately, you turn in a product that fits the region...a product that the appeases the judges taste buds, not your own.  Most of em want sauce on everything.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    I dont at home but for competition its a must, just ask the guys winning in brisket.  I like to use head country thinned out with the au jus in the foil for my comp sauce.

When we serve briskets to big crowds I use this recipe.   http://amazingribs.com/recipes/BBQ_sauces/texas_BBQ_mop-sauce.html
    It seems to be well received. 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    I have never sauced a brisket during a cook.  We do eat sauce on it afterward...sometimes occasionally.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Over on another forum the question of sauce on brisket came up. It was a competition based thread but it got me wondering... I have never sauced my brisket at home or for comp. I wouldnt' even know what flavor profile to start with.

Do any of you sauce your brisket and if so, what brand or type of sauce are you using?
    I don't mine, but I have when at a BBQ joint and it is dry.  Now I helped my brother in law in a few comps this year and what they do is after they slice them they lightly brush on a combination of brisket juice and the sauce to each slice then touch it up before walking with the box.  Now that is KCBS and it is mostly expected in KCBS comp from what I see.  I have never added sauce to brisket during or after a cook.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Why would brisket need sauce?   ;)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    If it's going on a bun it gets sauce. Can't stand a dry sandwich. Gonna do a brisket for a Christmas party Saturday. Thinking of making a super peppery (texas style)  sauce. I'll let you know what I come up with and if it was any good. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The sauce isn't needed, but there's nothing wrong with enjoying some with your wonderful brisket, if you desire. I like it both ways. I do enjoy a little tangy sauce on mine sometimes. Just a change of pace. A good steak doesn't need anything either, but a good bearnaise is quite nice sometimes. Do what you like. Don't let old fashioned snobbery get in your way. Eat what you like, period. 
  • Mosca
    Mosca Posts: 456
    Options
    There's no right answer, IMO. If I sauce mine, I prefer a "bright" sauce, more tomato than molasses. But I'll eat it either way.

It's actually really fantastic with a mustard sauce. Beef is complemented by mustard.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Options
    On the competition trail it's become obvious we have to start saucing.. But I can't imagine eating sauce on my brisket so I don't know where to start to build my sauce.
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I have a very simple rule, I do whatever the heck I feel like. If I dried it out, then sauce helps. Otherwise, I do what catches my fancy.

If I'm the one spending the time, effort, and money, then I'm gonna make my own rules! Convention be damned!!

Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I use foil too!!
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Don't tell anyone, but sometimes I use foil too!!
    The Brisket Gods may smite thee for this ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    In 100 percent of my brisket cooks (1), I did not need sauce =)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    I sauce the burnt ends from the point.  For the slices of flat, I don't sauce.... But I do keep horseradish handy.  :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I like sauce and pickles on my sammies but I eat 90% of mine sliced/cubed w/o sauce off the board these days. I have made and eaten so much brisket that I generally pick the best 3-4 bites (little end, little point, little
    flat) and serve the rest to others. When I eat at restaurants other than the super stars down here, I almost always hit it with a little sauce. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Nope, never have.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Thatgrimguy
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker do you use a vinegar sauce, molasses sauce, mustard? what profile. The molasses sauces that dominate my area suck on brisket.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker do you use a vinegar sauce, molasses sauce, mustard? what profile. The molasses sauces that dominate my area suck on brisket.
    We use Franklin's sauces. Pm me your address and I'll send you one of each. The espresso and Texas style are
    my faves. The recipes are in his book but I generally buy them. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Actually text me: 512-565-0109 
  • Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    I never sauce a brisket.  I serve it dry and give my guest the option to add sauce.  

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Hawg Fan said:
    I never sauce a brisket.  I serve it dry and give my guest the option to add sauce.  
    This is what I would do as well. I do this with everything except ribs sometimes. If you offer the sauce, it's acknowledging certain people might enjoy it better with the sauce. I don't put gravy on my guests mashed potatoes either, but I do offer it. Difference without much distinction. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh- and I would never sauce someone else's brisket. Ever. That is bad form. 

I Always eatthe best bites sans sauce and then I make sammies out of the nasty bits ( which I love just as much as the glory cuts). 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Nothing wrong with sauce.  Different strokes for different folks.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Not so far, but I'm a somewhat of a newbie. 
    Large, small, and a mini