Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Maverick vs. iGrill2 -- Who ya got?

It works like a charm, but my Maverick is a complete PITA to program.  Switching up proteins, setting temp ranges all require way, way too many frustrating sequences of button pushing.  It takes me forever to get the thing set up!  Once I get it, I'm very pleased with the performance.  But the setting is far from ideal.  

A buddy uses an iGrill2 and loves it.  I searched the forum and saw that some use and like it.  If anyone has experiences to share (and comparison to Maverick), pls let me know.  Chanukah is over, but I've still got time to put this on the Christmas list.  
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• I have one and love it!  I used it for the first time last night and couldn't be happier. No problems connecting or monitoring from inside the house. One of the probes is a little faulty but I contacted their support team and they are sending me a new one. I don't have any experience with the maverick but I can tell you it was nice to have a graph of the cook both ambient temp and meat temp. 
  • It is a pain to program the maverick but the Bluetooth limitations for the igrill make it not worth it for me. I can take the maverick all over my house with zero issues..the igrill won't even make it to the kitchen. 
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Agree with @chrisc133 .  The maverick will work from the nightstand by my bed while the egg is on the back deck.  In my previous home, the maverick would be 2 stories above my smoker and on the opposite side of the house and still work.
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • iGrill 2 for me.  Bluetooth is fine for my house layout as the kitchen is in the back nearest the grill.  Even works from the window of the 2nd story master bedroom.
    XL BGE  -  Jackson, California
  • Hudak
    Hudak Posts: 13
    Possibly on the verge of cheating here...I use the Igrill2 along with my apple tv to mirror what is on my ipad. I then shoot it over to a tv and watch from the garage where it is warm. pic or it didn't happen =]

• @Hudak - I was wondering if that was possible....  I might have to talk to you about this set-up.

I love my iGrill mini's x3.  I use one for the grill temp at the grate.  One is for meat; and if I am running a multi-butt cook, I'll break out the other meat probe.  Yes, it is 3 units running when the iGrill2 will run with 4 probes, but the 4-probe unit wasn't available when I needed a monitoring system.

Bluetooth works fine with me.  I have an "extra" ipad mini in the house that I have the ability to mount in the kitchen that is within Bluetooth range.

Setup is very easy in the app.  You can even play your favorite song when the meat hits your target temperature.

the probe for the grill temp is set as a range, so as long as the temp is within that range, say 230-275 for a butt, I am good to go.  If it drops below or gets too hot, it will sound an alarm and let me know to check on it.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    iGrill 2, love it.

The Bluetooth issue will depend on where you are, climate can be an issue. If it's too hot, the range is greatly reduced.

Having said that, I can be anywhere in my house, upstairs or down and it'll work. Have not had this when the weather gets hot, but in the mild temps we've had since I got mine in October, it's been great. I love the alarms that let me get at least most of a night's sleep during an overnight. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Hudak said:
    Possibly on the verge of cheating here...I use the Igrill2 along with my apple tv to mirror what is on my ipad. I then shoot it over to a tv and watch from the garage where it is warm. pic or it didn't happen =]

More pics of garage please!! Looks like a cool set up. I can't wait until next year to renovate my garage. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have the maverick and just bought the IGrill 2 for myself for xmas, I will have both now!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Bluetooth kind of stinks at any distance over several feet.  I'd stay away from it.
  • I have the iGrill2 and it works great for me. I thinks as others have said it comes down to the distance limitation. It works for me and I really like the graphs and alarms. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    egghead43 said:
    Bluetooth kind of stinks at any distance over several feet.  I'd stay away from it.
    That's strange because mine works through a wall to about 40-50'. It even works through both walls in several places where smokers is out front and I can still connect out back.
  • Hudak said:

I wish I would have thought of that !  Guarantee that will be done with a room full-  just to hear the comments !

1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    Hudak said:

That is cool, I assume it must be really cold where you live, but my favorite part of the cook is smelling the smoke/meat combination which I assume you don't get in your garage.

Is that some goldrush action?
  • Hudak
    Hudak Posts: 13
    @feef706 good call on the goldrush. I hang out by the egg on the quicker stuff but the low and slow we come inside. Not cold here but we watch a lot of football. 
  • feef706
    feef706 Posts: 853
    @Hudak awesome setup, I assume you can watch multiple games on all those screens. My outdoor setup is just one tv and one input at the moment, always room for improvement