Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gasket

Options
I've been doing a lot go high-temp cooking, and it's taken a toll my gasket.  Do I remember reading it's not worth replacing? 

TIA,
Chris
Chris
LBGE
Hughesville, MD

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Contact @rrp for a Rutland. Can't beat the price or service. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    ^^^^^ that.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • CP92
    CP92 Posts: 324
    Options
    Rog, on Ron.  But I think even Ron has said they aren't necessary.  But if they are, definitely the route I'll go.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris
    LBGE
    Hughesville, MD
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options
    CP92 said:
    Rog, on Ron.  But I think even Ron has said they aren't necessary.  But if they are, definitely the route I'll go.

Thanks,
    Chris
    A Rutland is necessary.

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Ron is definitely "da man " for a Rutland gasket. 
    You can't go wrong. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    CP92 said:
      Do I remember reading it's not worth replacing? 

Is a gasket 100% necessary? No sir, it is not. If your forte is grilling and mostly high temp cooks, you will notice very little difference in cooking with or without a gasket. However for long or low temp cooks, I find it much easier to hit and hold low temps with air only coming in through the vents where I have total control over it. Not leaking in between the dome and the base. Also a gasket provides a cushion when closing the dome. Is this beneficial? I feel that it is in the event you ever let the dome slip when closing or it happens to slam shut for whatever reason. I happen to like the Rutland gasket. It's much thicker than the factory gasket, it provides a 100% seal, and can withstand any temp that you are likely to ever hit when cooking on your BGE. For about 11 bucks, I feel that it's about the most bang for your buck that you can get when it comes to upgrades for the BGE. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fish8503
    Options
    What adhesive do you attach the rutland gasket to the egg with?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    fish8503 said:
    What adhesive do you attach the rutland gasket to the egg with?
    This one. You can buy it at any auto parts place or Walmart. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Go @RRP or go home. Only have to do the bottom. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,770
    Options
    havent had gaskets on my large eggs for maybe 15 years now. =) if you tend to control temps from the top you will have problems, control the temps more from the lower vent and it works fine. i used to believe i was going thru more lump, put a gasket on and found i wasnt burning more, that gasket is long gone =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it