Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is it possible to adjust temp from the lower vent alone?

Options
I ran my BGE up to around 350 for the third and final time to cure the gasket before I start cooking.  I wanted to experiment with temp control and left the top completely open.  I had just a sliver of the bottom grate open and the temp kept climbing to close to 400.  Is it possible to fully adjust temperature with the top completely open?  It appears not.

I'm probably going to try my first Boston Butt later this week and would like suggestions on how to maintain a lower temp in the 225-250 range (i.e. bottom vent and top vent settings).  Thanks!

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    not under 350-400 or so. If you want to go lower than that you'll need to further restrict airflow using the daisy.

I like to cook low and slow around 250-260. Seems my egg is more stable there. Most of the time for me that's like 1/8-1/4 inch open on the bottom and barely open up top. I live in TX so it is warmer than many other places this time of year. You may need to open it up a little more if it's cold where you are.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    What size egg?   with my XL, the answer for < 300 is no.  I also need the daisy wheel. 

So, if I understand your first statement, you lit the egg 3 times without putting on any food to "cure the gasket" ??? Never heard of such a thing.  Light it up and cook some food.  My first few months of cooks were burgers and steaks (~350-450) it wasn't until much later that I started doing the low-slow meats like PP, Ribs and brisket. 

On my XL, a sliver open (~ 1/4 inch more or less) and daisy also slightly open. I would light a SMALL fire just a handful of charcoal, put it in the center then fill up the firebox to the bottom of the platesetter and stabilize it before adding the meat. For the first L/S, I would start the fire 2hrs before to give yourself time to get it under control.  Remember it is much easier to raise the temp than it is to get it back down. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Yeah. You can do it

think of it like a garden hose. Stupid analogy, right?

well, the business end allows fine tuning. You can open the tap at the wall wide (or lower vent) and still fine tune with the nozzle end (upper vent)

or control flow at the tap (lower vent) and not even use a nozzle (no daisy)

or you can use both

i use the bottom for heneral coarse adjustments and dial in with the top

but either way, it is airflow, and that's it. Anhthing that allows more air through will cause temps to rise

a common misconception tho: leaving the daisy off and using only the lower vent doesn't "let more smoke out". Letting more smoke out would mean the air would be moving faster.  Temps would rise. So if the egg is stable, you can't be letting air (smoke) out faster 

in various states of inebriation, i've left either the bottom or top vent open when shutting down for the night. The fire still goes out. No air flow

just like the garden house. Shut one end and the whole system is shut down
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    The top vent is what creates the vacuum/suction.  

With the top vent fully open it will always draw the maximum amount of air through the bottom vent setting.  

For low and slow bottom vent 1/8" or so top vent 1/8". Easier to bump up temp then bring it down. Only light charcoal in one spot (half a fire starter).

I would do a dry run with no food to learn your vent settings.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    egghead43 said:
    I ran my BGE up to around 350 for the third and final time to cure the gasket before I start cooking.  I wanted to experiment with temp control and left the top completely open.  I had just a sliver of the bottom grate open and the temp kept climbing to close to 400.  Is it possible to fully adjust temperature with the top completely open?  It appears not.

I'm probably going to try my first Boston Butt later this week and would like suggestions on how to maintain a lower temp in the 225-250 range (i.e. bottom vent and top vent settings).  Thanks!
    225-250?

Fire her up. Once burning, load your platesetter, drip pan, etc. 

Catch the temp on the way up. 

When I close the lid, I'll go about 4 inches open until it begins to creep, then inch it down. The final position for me is about 1/4 inch plus for  bottom vent and the same with the daisy wheel. 

Also, let the temp set in for 20-30 minutes before putting the butt on. 

Enjoy! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I control my temperature with the bottom vent for anything above 300 degrees. For low and slow I'll use the daisy wheel. The XL might be different. Thinking about it I'm not sure if I've ever used my XL for anything above 300. I'll have to give it a try. That's interesting 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Beavercreek_Smoker
    Options
    I've never tried top vent open  what I do for low and slow is after getting to temp I close down bottom to 1/4 open and top about 1/4 open. (I use the smokeware SS cap). I watch it and open or close them if temp drifts. Once the fire is well established and clear smoke, I'm usually have the bottom open about the thickness of a quarter and top vent open 20-30%. 

Then throw in a few chunks of smoking wood and your ready for your meat. When you put in a huge chunk of cold meat, your temp will drop and stay low for awhile. Don't be tempted to open vents up to raise temp, it will come back as the meat warms up. 

On on higher cooks like wings (350-400 indirect) I will end up with button open 30% or so and top vent open around 30-40%. 

Play around with it and find what works for you. Once it's stable for an hour, it's not going anywhere. Sleep well. I usually put a couple butts on and watch it re-stabilize and check it again an hour later and go to bed. Might check it again around 8:00 am and almost always the temp is holding within 10 degrees of my target of 250. I've had a hard time holding 220-225 on my egg but 250 is crazy stable on mine. 

Once i did wake up and find my temp dropped to 180 but that was because I tried to be cheap and conserve fuel. Now I just fill it up near top of fire ring and still have coals after 16 or more hours. I usually than just pull the meat and open the vents to dry out and burn off any fat in the egg. 

Life is good. 
  • egghead43
    egghead43 Posts: 138
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Good advice so far. I have a large egg. They don't recommend going abover 350 the first few cooks so I was just curing the gasket. I didn't have anything I could cook that low.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    in various states of inebriation, i've left either the bottom or top vent open when shutting down for the night. The fire still goes out. No air flow
    Well, that shoots down my theory.  I've always thought that, left uncovered, the top can let air in even while it's exhausting CO2/heat, and have always added the Daisy Wheel, with just the small holes open, to restrict any entry of O2.  

If you've left the top open and the fire still goes out, my theory is nulled.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• egghead43
    Options
    Picked up a smokeware cap. Maybe that will help me figure it out.
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    Only one thing to remember:  Air flow is air flow no matter how you control it.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • egghead43
    Options
    Only one thing to remember:  Air flow is air flow no matter how you control it.
    I understand but I think the Smokeware will be easier and more precise 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You are overthinking this. Somehow, most of us have managed without the Smokeware. I'm sure it's nice and all, but far from necessary. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• egghead43
    Options
    You are overthinking this. Somehow, most of us have managed without the Smokeware. I'm sure it's nice and all, but far from necessary. 
    Not overthinking it.  I don't mind getting gadgets for it since it's new and the daisy wheel just seems like a pain.  I'd rather start with the Smokeware. 
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    I never use anything on top, Smokeware or Daisy Wheel unless I am cooking low and slow.  I know from experience when to catch it on the way up and mange my temp that way.  For example. I have nothing on top and my bottom vent open about 3/4 inch and this will get me temp around 375-400.  This is what works best for me having just one variable to deal with. 
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited December 2015
    Options
    egghead43 said:
    Not overthinking it.  I don't mind getting gadgets for it since it's new and the daisy wheel just seems like a pain.  I'd rather start with the Smokeware. 
    My theory holds true, the cost of the BGE is the cheapest expense in owning a BGE. I have warned so many, yet I have failed the minions. They don't call it "Big Green" egg for nothing.......
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    egghead43 said:
    My theory holds true, the cost of the BGE is the cheapest expense in owning a BGE. I have warned so many, yet I have failed the minions. They don't call it "Big Green" egg for nothing.......
    LOL, that's why I stopped buying this sh, umm, stuff.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• egghead43
    Options
    Eh, I like having a new hobby to spend money on.  The top open and bottom slightly open got me to about 350-400. If I need to adjust the top to get low and slow I'd rather do it with the Smokeware 
  • morrobayrich
    Options
    I have the Smokeware top.  In my opinion, it is no better or worse than the BGE's daisy wheel except if you ae cooking in the rain; then the Smokeware, being the shape of an umbrella, obviously would be a better bet.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I have the Smokeware top.  In my opinion, it is no better or worse than the BGE's daisy wheel except if you ae cooking in the rain; then the Smokeware, being the shape of an umbrella, obviously would be a better bet.
    Yep, I have both, only use the rain cap when it's raining or snowing. Thankfully I haven't had to deal with snow since last winter.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I have 4 Eggs and zero Daisy Wheels. I never use them at all. Would not be able to lay hands on them if needed.  But then I never cook under 300 so no reason. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    And therein, you come to understand @Darby_Crenshaw.  Great analogy, simple concept.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I know Mickey never uses the daisy wheel and he cooks at 300+ Darby also makes a good analogy but my particular setup does not seem to be conducive to no wheel, Smokeware or tip top controller. I think it has to do with where my Eggs are located on my deck and the maybe slope of the roof or orientation of my house in relation to local breezes. I have always had problems with temperature fluctuations even with the DW in position on the vent. This did not happen at my previous property so it is something that happens here only. If I use the tip top controller I can easily hold temps and I can definitely see the flapper working during the cooks so something is affecting the airflow around or through the Egg. If I would try to shut down by only closing the bottom vent, the Egg will often consume all the charcoal. I suspicion the effect is something like when you blow across the mouth of a bottle to make a musical tone. When the DW/Smokeware is on and I close the them and the lower vent the fire dies as it should. Last winter, I moved the Medium to the covered front porch on the West side of the house and the temps acted like everyone else generally reports so there is definitely some anomaly regarding the deck on the East side of the house.  Perhaps moving the Eggs to a different area of the East deck might help but they are presently in the most convenient place for my usage.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa