Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A little Canuckian elf sent me...

... Who we know as Little Steven, sent me case of this stuff:

Its pretty damn good. I ate about a third of the jar with a spoon, just for the tasting. Put some on homemade rye bread and it was good with that too.  I have a feeling it's going to be eaten with a lot of things :)

Not sure what I did to deserve this, but I'm not asking either. I'm just going to put my head down and work my way through the case. I have a feeling this will be worse than chili garlic dosas.

Thanks, Steve! I'm going to enjoy this. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Good stuff, eh? Mix some in with pork butt and use it to top a hot dog. Then, Steve will tell you why he won't eat hot dogs. =) I haven't had one in well over two years, but man, these were GOOD!!!.

You can supposedly order Bomba here in the States. I've never tried these guys myself, but here you go...

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/Allessia_La_Bomba_Hot_Antipasto_Spread_314ml_p/allessia001.htm

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    Nice!  Never seen it here but I have seen it mentioned a few times on the forum.  I'll start hunting for it :)

edited December 2015
    Nice...I still have one bottle left from years ago...more a reminder of the good old days...scared to open it.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking said:

Its pretty damn good. I ate about a third of the jar with a spoon, just for the tasting. Put some on homemade rye bread and it was good with that too.  I have a feeling it's going to be eaten with a lot of things :)

Not sure what I did to deserve this, but I'm not asking either. I'm just going to put my head down and work my way through the case. I have a feeling this will be worse than chili garlic dosas.

Send it back. Even a perceived "now you owe me" from steven can be very expensive to your dignity and sense of self 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Photo Egg said:
    Nice...I still have one bottle left from years ago...more a reminder of the good old days...scared to open it.lol
    Steve told me it "lasts forever". That may (or may not) be true before opening, but once opened, even refrigerated, it is definitely NOT true!
    paqman said:
    Nice!  Never seen it here but I have seen it mentioned a few times on the forum.  I'll start hunting for it :)
    I'm pretty sure it's only available in the GTA. Or, apparently, from the link I posted above.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    That sounds delicious!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • paqman
    Photo Egg said:
    Steve told me it "lasts forever". That may (or may not) be true before opening, but once opened, even refrigerated, it is definitely NOT true!
    paqman said:
    I'm pretty sure it's only available in the GTA. Or, apparently, from the link I posted above.

Amazon.ca has it for 80$/12 jar

I am hesitant to order a case of 12... Is it that good?  Is it a good price?  @Little Steven 

edited December 2015
    LS is very generous. Sent me some once for me to gift around to local forum members, which I diligently did. He rightfully received much praise and thanks from them

a year later or so he gave me a case, and of course the idea was to spread it around.i gave a few away. The rest? I'll get to gifting them some day. But right now i am hoarding it. Don't tell steven. What am i to do when my bottle runs out and there are five more next to it? I gotta open another. Fishless can find his own!

Stuff is great on bread 

have also grilled portobellos and then topped with the Bomba. Good stuff 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• paqman said:
    Photo Egg said:
    paqman said:

Amazon.ca has it for 80$/12 jar

I am hesitant to order a case of 12... Is it that good?  Is it a good price?  @Little Steven 
    Most of the grocery stores have it round here. I buy it at the importer which is around the corner from my office. Try Zehrs, Loblawsor Fortinos if you have them.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Yes - a most generous man indeed!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • paqman
    RRP said:
    Yes - a most generous man indeed!

Nice!  HP sauce is my favourite on steaks :)

Good stuff
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • caliking said:

It's pretty good on pasta too

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BTW,

Never made scratch saag paneer. Got a recipe?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BTW,

Janell is making it now. We make it all the time. If he does not chime in, I'll have her post it for you. 
  • Girl_on_Grill
    Girl_on_Grill Posts: 71
    edited December 2015
    This is the recipe I've used for years. It's from a Neelam Batra cookbook. It uses yogurt rather than lemon juice or vinegar as a catalyst to curdle the milk, which yields more curd and has a nice creamy flavor. Let me know if you have any questions. Considering the cooks you normally do, this will be a breeze for you.

Ingredients / Equipment

½ gallon whole milk
    2 cups plain Greek yogurt

Cheesecloth

Directions
    1. Curdle Milk: Bring milk to boil over high heat, stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Add yogurt and continue to cook until separated into curds and whey, 2-3 minutes. 
    2. Drain: Drape cheesecloth over colander and pour curdled milk into it to drain the whey.
    3. Cool: Bring the 4 corners of the cloth together and tie to the kitchen faucet to drain further and cool slightly.
    4. Press: Remove from the faucet and lightly twist cloth to extract more whey from the cheese. With the cloth still twisted, place cheese between two flat salad plates and weight it with a pan of water. Press the cheese for 10-15 minutes

5.Sauté (optional): Cut cheese into cubes, lightly salt and sauté in a bit of hot ghee until browned.

• Girl_on_Grill
    Girl_on_Grill Posts: 71
    edited December 2015
    That's the paneer. After many trials and errors, here's the saag recipe I finally settled on (from an Indian cooking class in Austin taught by Shefaly Ravula). It's solid, but any advice from Caliking (or a whole new recipe) would be very welcome!

Ingredients

2 tbsp. ghee
    ½ tsp. cumin seed
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    1 tbsp. garlic paste
    1 tbsp. ginger paste
    ½ tsp. turmeric
    1 tsp. kosher salt
    1 tbsp. ground coriander
    ½ tsp. cayenne
    1 tomato, diced
    1 lb baby spinach
    1 recipe paneer
    1 tsp. garam masala
    2 tsp dried fenugreek leaves (optional)
    1 cup half and half

Directions

1. Heat ghee over medium heat. Add cumin seeds (they should sizzle) and then chopped onion. Let cook 5 min, stirring occasionally, until onions are lightly browned.

2. Add garlic, ginger and turmeric. Stir well and continue to cook onion mixture another 10 minutes (turn down the heat if you need to keep mixture from burning).

3. Add next 3 spices and cook a few minutes until aromatic.

4. Add tomatoes, stir cover and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Oil should separate.

5. Add spinach a few handfuls at a time, allowing spinach to cook down and make room for more spinach in the pot. Cook 10 minutes after all the spinach is incorporated. Add water 1/2 cup at a time (up to 11/2 cups) as needed too keep from sticking or browning.

6. Purée sauce to desire consistency. Stir in sautéed paneer cubes, garam masala and fenugreek leaves. Cook 5 min. Stir in cream, warm through and serve.
  • And You can save the whey and make ricotta if you are in to that kinda thing. 
  • Thank you Miss Janell. I fudged it but I'm pretty close.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Did we just get trolled here? Janell is like "there is no way he does not know how to make this". I have to agree. Dang it. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

BTW,

Sorry - had to check out for a good part of the day.

Oddly enough, we don't make saag paneer at home. My mom usually made matar (peas) paneer and this other tomato-based paneer dish. SWMBO makes a paneer dish with fresh fenugreek leaves instead of spinach that turns out well. 

And @Girl_on_Grill 's recipe for making paneer is spot on . That's pretty much the way my mom taught me how to do it, except that I just learned earlier this year (from Janell) that you could make paneer with yogurt/curd. I would probably use a more tart yogurt like White Mountain Bulgarian style yogurt, if you're not using homemade. 

Her recipe for saag paneer looks good too. I'll give it a whirl some time. 

• caliking

Thank you Miss Janell. I fudged it but I'm pretty close.
    Did we just get trolled here? Janell is like "there is no way he does not know how to make this". I have to agree. Dang it. 
    That is very possible :)

• caliking
    Suddenly I'm craving a paneer and la bomba panini...

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Lots of us got to try it thru the generosity of Little Steven sending a couple of cases to the Salado Fest several years ago. 
    I was in Canada this past summer and ended up calling him to help find it. No luck at all. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like it, I think.  wait, wutrwetalkingabout?
    Oh, right.  The little steven schwag I never got...and that he gave to someone else (like there was a shelf life).  And then I "stood him up" in new orleans.   Ok. I didn't remember the date after a few months of pior notice.   F k.  I guess I should have called daily to see if he would be here.  And I didn't have his phone number....although I sent mine.  Makes calling a bit impossible.  I guess I'm a giant douche.   Still love the little guy.  He's sorta cool if you're into little guys that post excessively and have combustible decks. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Canadians don't lie. I've made it with a store bought masala and cream but never from scratch.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2015

Didn't take a pic of the curry but the wife did.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited December 2015
    BTW that's Goan fish curry, chilli chicken, saag and palak paneer, chicken tikka, paratha, Kerala chicken curry, jeera rice and raitha. All scratch 'cept the paratha

Steve 

Caledon, ON