Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

7 Takes on Turkey

BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
There's a nice article in today's Washington Post on different ways of preparing, including brining, smoking, grilling and injecting. I don't agree 100% with their smoking method (they say to wrap it in cheese cloth), but it's a good read:[p]http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/style/food/A18111-2000Nov14.html
[ul][li]7 Takes on Turkey[/ul]

Comments

• BluesnBBQ,
    I'm a rookie to smoking, just getting started in the past year with a simple charcoal smoker, and I did a turkey last year with hickory wood but my recipe had me cover the bird with bacon to minimize the overcooking of the skin. This year I was going to try pecan and apple wood but am afraid the bacon is going to mask the flavor. If you don't use a cheese cloth, are their other methods to protect the skin?[p]Thanks.

• Rookie,[p]Brine the bird, and rub the skin with butter, margarine or olive oil before cooking.