Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Aton Brown reviews Amazons dumbest kitchen gadjets

Options

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Interesting @pgprescott I'm already in with the BGE ones and I can't see buying another pair. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I use the BGE claws. Gets the job done. I could see where the plastic v shaped prongs on some claws wouldn't be worth a crap. 
    I've used both and the bear claws are superior to the steel BGE ones. 
    I havethe same ones in Rons pic above and I have probably worn close to a 1/4' off them and they still work better than forks. I would bet mine have gone through at least 1000 pounds of shoulder in the last 5 years and probably closer to 1500 pounds. I would never use forks again. I did see this really cool machine on a food truck you just drop the shoulder in and it spits out pulled pork with no waiting but the guy said it is a couple grand. 
  • badinfluence
    Options
    I for one love the bear claws. I had the BGE claws and frankly think they are crap. I use the claws everyday for 3-5 butts and some events up to 20 butts. Would hate to be doing those with forks.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Lit said:
    I use the BGE claws. Gets the job done. I could see where the plastic v shaped prongs on some claws wouldn't be worth a crap. 
    I've used both and the bear claws are superior to the steel BGE ones. 
    I havethe same ones in Rons pic above and I have probably worn close to a 1/4' off them and they still work better than forks. I would bet mine have gone through at least 1000 pounds of shoulder in the last 5 years and probably closer to 1500 pounds. I would never use forks again. I did see this really cool machine on a food truck you just drop the shoulder in and it spits out pulled pork with no waiting but the guy said it is a couple grand. 
    That would be a Buffalo Chopper (and no I'm not making a buffalo joke). And yes, they are thousands. The pork puller I linked to above isn't quite as fast, but pretty good for the money.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/hobart-84186-1-buffalo-chopper-food-processor-with-12-hub/42584186-1.html

http://www.texastastes.com/bowl-choppers.htm
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    The KitchenAid mixer does a good job for bulk pulled pork....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,094
    Options
    I like my KA when I have a lot.  Other wise I use forks.  My main issue with the claws for pulling is they tear through my aluminum foil pans.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I just finally watched the video. Now I want a rollie, would be a great party prank. Put it on an end table and start it right when guests arrive and watch the reaction. That just might be an impulse buy on a Friday night.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @DoubleEgger done that a couple of times. It works. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    @DMW the reviews of the "eggrections" makes me want a Rollie too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Wylie_Egg said:
    I have a set of bear claws and love them. Be honest. Who else has some of these?
    I have them. I love them. I hate pulling pork any other way. And I smoke enough butts to justify having a tool for the purpose!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    If you're cooking your butt and it's hard to pull - you're doing it wrong.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    If you're cooking your butt and it's hard to pull - you're doing it wrong.
    Not about being hard. But 5 butts are easier to pull at once by a fair margin with bear claws vs a couple forks.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Did mangrates make the list?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    What attachment do you use?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    The coated flat beater.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    The coated flat beater.
    I could see this for a 5-6lb shoulder but I have the 6qt pro and don't think a 10lb shoulder would fit in that. It's quicker to use the claws to pull them than set up the KA and pull then clean it. 
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    Davec433 said:
    The coated flat beater.
    Thanks.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I have used a set of bear claws for just over a year now.
    Can't imagine not having them.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm a fan of the bear claws because they do quick work! Problem with his demo was the way he held them then of course he got lousy results. Me...I put my middle two fingers out and that makes for great stability when ripping and tearing!

BTW - Mine are 15 years old and even though they are plastic they remain tough - tough enough in fact to take a sharp utility knife to cut off the curled pointy ends that developed over years of service. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Furthermore, here is the the way Alton knocked their use. Of course his way doesn't work for shredding a cooked pork butt in short order. Use my way to shred and rip - not point and poke!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    You should've been a "Hand Model" Ron. Lol

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Alton Brown was always pretty genius. Recently I think he's become an unhinged genius. That was awesome. 
    @dmw you definitely need a Rollie. It would provide a lot of Friday night forum buffalo. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Lmao what is that Rollie thing
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited December 2015
    Options

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Seems the Rollie can only produce a half chub. Sad. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    No bear claws, but I do have the Baker's Edge pan. I like it and use it when making Brownies. I have also found that it's really good for corn bread too. I make corn bread in the skillet too, but it's pretty good out of the Baker's Edge pan.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You should've been a "Hand Model" Ron. Lol
    Sadly, George Costanza was getting all the work when Ron was trying to break into the hand modeling business. Dream shattered!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I thought bear claws were for fighting off bears (like brass knuckles for people) or eviscerating them.  That's what I love about this forum.  You learn something new every time you're on it.
    Options
    I really like my veggetti!
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Angus1978
    Options
    I like my bear paws...Alton was right...you feel like Wolverine...and to me that means it's not a unitasker  *snikt*
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight