Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey sitter or V-rack?

Carl T
Carl T Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been using sitters for chickens with great results. For turkeys, would a horizontal bird on a V-rack be better than an upright bird on a sitter?[p]I have a V-rack and am trying to decide if I should invest in a large sitter for turkeys. I am going to try a practice turkey this weekend. It will be my first attempt at turkey on the egg. I am planning on indirect at 340/350 until breast temp of 170[p]Carl T

Comments

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Carl T,
    I've been using a v-rack for turkey since 1978 in my EGG and the birds come out perfect every time.
    IMHO I can not see any benefit or cooking advantage obtained by using a sitter.

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Carl T,[p]A larger bird can be cooked when using a v-rack than the sitter. The skin on the bird is prettier (no rack marks) when cooked on the sitter. The bird is also easier to carve and serve from the sitter.[p]The fire ring can be removed and the grill set directly on the firebox to provide much more headroom in the Egg so a sitter can be used with a larger bird. I have cooked a 14.5 lb turkey in a small Egg using this method.[p]I'd suggest that you cook a turkey to 160-165°F in the breast and remove. As it is a large piece of meat, it will continue to cook if allowed a 15 minute rest.[p]Best of luck on the practice run,
    Spin

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    JJ,
    Sure there's an advantage. When you knock the big bird over on the sitter, you can have the added hilarity of watching him roll in the stuff in the ground around your egg! :-D[p]I'd go for the rack!

• Chuck
    Chuck Posts: 812
    Spin,
    I have a rack and while I have not egged a turkey yet I will avoid the rack marks by turning the bird breast side up. I think it will stay in place ok.Have a good one.
    cp

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Carl T,
    I have both; I v-racked a huge beast last Christmas that turned out well, but I must say that the sitter and a small can of beer to keep the inside moist gives the best flavor and texture. I'm not sure if I'll be roasting the bird for Christmas this year, but I'll use the sitter method. Actually, I'd like to do two small turkeys this way and I'm wondering if two will fit. Hmmm. Better start experimenting now.
    Cheers,
    Gretl[p]p.s. I always brine!!

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Spin,
    Great idea, removing the fire ring! I'll definitely try it. You must load less charcoal, no? Do you have to replenish during the roast? That would be wicked. [p]BTW, I have always allowed the Polder to reach 180 in the breast before removing it from the Egg; Jim is a real nut about poultry being underdone, and if the meat doesn't just fall from the bone, he's not crazy about eating it. The Egg has always provided a very moist bird; no dry meat at all.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Gretl,[p]I was cooking a 12.7 lb prime rib and the 14.5 lb turkey for thanksgiving. At the time I had a large and small Egg. The rib just wouldn't fit in the small and the turkey wouldn't fit sideways. The rest is history.[p]I filled the firebox with fresh lump to just below the grill (no fire ring). I smoked the bird for 6 hours at 240-250°F and then raised the temp to finish the skin. I had only used about 1/2 of the available lump.[p]The turkey will be safe to eat at 165+°F in the breast or 185°F in the thigh. The temp of a turkey (as any larger piece of meat) will continue to rise after removing. I also prefer cooking to a higher meat temperature. Not for doneness concerns, but to actually attempt to dry the meat a bit. We often cook a chicken to enjoy for dinner with the leftovers becoming chicken salad. The Egged chickens tend to be too moist to make a nice texture in a salad. Chicken destined for salad is cooked to 190°F in the breast. The above turkey cook was removed at 160°F in the breast and immediately wrapped in foil and set in a warmed cooler (on towels), then wrapped in towels. This cook had to travel 50 miles and wait 2 hours before serving. It was left sealed in the cooler until serving time. It was still steaming and the polder (I left it in the breast) read 168°F. The towels were very damp, but the meat was still moist.[p]It is nice to have a cooker that allows such broadness in cooking and still provides a great meal.[p]Spin