Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hickory Floor parts

Options
Hooter
Hooter Posts: 134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK...I'll try again. I posted this on Monday with no response. Somebody has to have an opinion...

My neighbor gave me some scraps from the hickory floor he just had installed in his kitchen. The builder says it's 100% hickory that is untreated.

Can this be used in the egg for smoke?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    Hooter,
    You will get a better response from this if you post the question at biggreenegg.com. More people read that forum than this one (*.net). I personally would be afraid that it had some varnish or what-not on it.
    Bob
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    Options
    how certain are you that the wood is NOT treated ?
    the installer doesn't know everything- if you can contact the manufacturer, ask them. I have my doubts that's untreated. To be safe, i would not use it.
  • Hooter
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I am not 100% sure it's not treated. I am relying only on what my friend said. It sure looks like it is just plain ole' wood, but you might be right Chef...better to not take the chance.
  • Hooter
    Options
    To be honest, I thought both forums were the same. There are different posts on each?
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
    If you post at biggreenegg.com the message is forwarded to the biggreenegg.net site. If you post on the biggreenegg.net site it does NOT get sent to the *.com site. The *.net site is still in beta and some folks don't look at it. If you post on the *.com site everyone will see it.
    Bob
  • Hooter
    Options
    I had no clue that the posting was a little different. Thanks for the info.