Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lump

Anyone know any good deals on some good lump right now?  Time for me to re-stock.

Comments

500 Posts: 3,177
    16.7# bags of Royal Oak at Home Depot for $12.97.  It's their normal price.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    Check your stocking on the 25th
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited December 2015
    500 said:
    The best deal you'll find at this time.  Unless you get lucky and a grocer has some on clearance.  Found some comp K briquettes at Schnucks, bought the last 8 bags.  Haven't tried them in the small egg yet, mostly used for rotisserie cooking on the kettle. 

Stocking up is best done around Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day.  I used to fill up the truck with RO at Menards for their Spring Sale, but they are limiting quantities now, which sucks.  No more pulling the truck into the yard and having the lumber guy bring a fresh pallet.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Restaurant depot Carbon sel Sol $8-$9/bag if you are near 1.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Where are you located?
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Bwill
    Bwill Posts: 102
    Northeast Ohio but I am willing to order online too.
  • Bwill
    500 said:
    Any good?  I thought the hardware big boxes carried the crap stuff but I may have bad information.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    I have used RO for several years and am very happy with it. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Bwill said:
    500 said:
    Any good?  I thought the hardware big boxes carried the crap stuff but I may have bad information.
    I used the BGE for about 6 months and ran out. Went to Lowes and got some Cowboy or something like that. Cooked with it twice and it was awful. Ran way hot and VERY smoky. Picked up some Royal Oak at HD and after 3 cooks with it, Thanksgiving turkey included, I am VERY happy with it.
    LBGE
  • Earshots
    Earshots Posts: 110
    @bwill online firecraft order Rockwood won't get any better lump.  Free shipping for orders over $100
    fellow NE Ohioan 
    Tallmadge Ohio, XL and S eggs 
  • I have bought servals bags at Sams its around 11bucks for 20 pounds 
  • Bwill
    Bwill said:
    500 said:
    I used the BGE for about 6 months and ran out. Went to Lowes and got some Cowboy or something like that. Cooked with it twice and it was awful. Ran way hot and VERY smoky. Picked up some Royal Oak at HD and after 3 cooks with it, Thanksgiving turkey included, I am VERY happy with it.
    Cowboy is the one I was thinking of. 

• Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892

Royal Oak is probably the best deal if available in your neck of the woods. Rockwood is just as good but cost twice as much making it a so-so lump. I was surprised when I shopped for lump. There where a lot more dealers selling lump than what I thought.

• rmr62
    rmr62 Posts: 233
    My local HD puts the entire pallet under the aisle shelf, so they don't toss bags around and stuff---hence I always get a good product with decent sized pieces.  Some places throw the bags around so much they get all smashed up in the process, so I guess it depends on your local store
    Lagrange, GA   LBGE
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    There is a Restaurant Depot in Cle
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Royal Oak is readily available at Home Depot and was good tell I found Rockwood and like it better, because it has less smokey flavor and I have no problem paying about $1 a pound.  It seems to light fast and if you can find it locally give it a try.  BGE lump is basically Royal Oak.  Check out Nakedwhiz.com for lump reviews.  Also do a lump search in your area to see places to buy.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    beteez said:
    Don't you have to be a restaurant proprietor in order to get a membership and shop there?
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    cssmd27 said:
    beteez said:
    Don't you have to be a restaurant proprietor in order to get a membership and shop there?

You just have to have a business license......or a buddy that has one.  I have a few buddies that use mine.  The business will have to set up the membership (free), and that's it.  It's not like Sam's or Costco where you can't share cards.

You can also join the KCBS to qualify.